Green Day
¡UNO!

good

by Alex K. USER (5 Reviews)
September 19th, 2012 | 66 replies | 8,481 views

Review Summary: Yup. Green Day.

Let’s jump right into things. Let’s talk about Green Day. More specifically, let’s talk about new Green Day. I’m not talking American Idiot (like it’s even new anymore, Christ. We’re getting older, folks), no, forget 21st Century Breakdown. I’m talking Billie Joe Armstrong just turned 40 years old, I’m talking iUNO!. Oddly enough, our pint sized, 40 year-old frontman still writes songs almost exactly the same way he did in the mid 90s. This “new” Green Day is like their old ‘97 counterpart, except they aren’t so curious on the whole “experimentation” thing. There’s no harmonicas, no strings, I don’t think I heard an acoustic guitar on iUNO!. Given the last ten years of their career, there’s something odd about that. Green Day hasn’t been this straight up since Dookie, which is to say that the album doesn’t really pick up, or slow down. The metaphorical pedal is pressed firmly to the floor, and these guys are just waiting to run out of gas.

and they definitely run out of gas. Yes indeedydoo, they do.

There’s some mileage to be had, though. iUNO! starts off with “Nuclear Family” which is probably the most fun song that Green Day has written since Insomniac came out back in ‘95. Aside from obnoxiously glossy production, it really is a fun song. It has a certain confidence that sounds like it came from selling out stadiums for the better part of a decade, but it’s all good. “Stay the Night” is another fun one. It’s not fantastic, but it’s also not atrocious. It goes right in the mound of solid pop-punk songs that Green Day have been churning out since the early 90s. Think of the poppier rock songs off of “Nimrod.” Got it? Yeah. That. Almost exactly that. Adapted slightly to be played in front of 50,000 people.

“Carpe Diem” is garbage. “Let Yourself Go” is catchy filler. Billie Joe pulls these songs out of his ass, and that’s fine. The entire second half of the record falls into the “catchy filler” camp. It’s not bad. Who knows, they could have written most of these songs before American Idiot even came out. “Kill the DJ” is probably the most interesting song on the record. Irritating or not, I appreciate the effort. It really sounds like something fresh. “Oh Love” comes close to capturing a new, interesting sound,, but then someone told Billie Joe that the mind-numbingly bad chorus was a “good idea.” Yikes, guys.

Thematically, most of the songs harken back to the angry, confused, lovesick Green Day of old. A handful of the new tracks still retain their more recent sensibilities, with lazy (but not untrue) criticism of modern culture.

It’s a comfortable, fun album. It’s not bad, it’s not great. It's comfortable, predictable, but not quite dull enough to be average. Personally, I’m the sort of guy who likes to have a couple new Green Day songs. These guys resonate with me, always have, and they’ll probably continue to do so. Having said that, we’ve heard these songs before. Some of them used to be better, some of the redux versions are superior. That’s about it. It’s another handful of songs for these dudes to tear up in a live setting. That’s what they’re good for.

2.4

September 19th 2012

The album is up and streaming through that facebook promotion.

kind of a lazy review, but it's kind of a lazy album.

skoopy48
September 19th 2012

Some songs are great on this, and some seem to be shenanigans follow up material.

September 19th 2012

I'm one of those Green Day fans waiting for songs that are actually more interesting than "Letterbomb" and "Jesus of Suburbia." Doesn't seem like they'll ever get there. Ahwel.

OneMoreRoland
September 19th 2012

i love the bitter tone in your review. great read

September 19th 2012

man I'm surprised no negative reviews of this yet.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

DirEnRefused

1961 Comments

A little formulaic in portions, but your style manages casual distaste well.

September 19th 2012

Green Day brought back some of their Nimrod/Warning style, but the songs don't seem as passionate.

I agree with most points in this review, which was well written. Kill The DJ is pretty cool, but the
chorus kills the feel of it.

Woah, Billie's vocals in the beginning of track 6 sounds so similar to the chorus in "Walking Alone"
on
Nimrod.

I have had 2 full listens, but with the crappy facebook stream quality. I think this is a solid
"good" album, but because it is SO basic, I am having trouble deciding whether I like it better than
21st century. I think I will, especially once I buy the full quality version.

Now, the interesting part: two more albums in the next few months. Do you guys think Green Day left
the better songs for Dos and Tre?

cinaedus

iUKNOW! it

DirEnRefused

1961 Comments

Even in the "Dookie" era, I hated their sound. Can't see myself listening to this.

LifeAsAChipmunk
September 19th 2012

Yeah, I never really liked Green Day at all now that I think about it.

September 19th 2012

woah bummer, first neg. That's what I get for a lazy review I suppose.(that bad though?)

@trantalocked: yeah they reeeally went for the Nimrod pop-punk thing on this one.

ZackSh33
September 19th 2012

Good review, man. My review kind of got killed 'neg' wise, but this is a good summary of what the album sounds like.

'pos'd

ABjordanMM

good stuff. pos

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope

September 20th 2012

You know what, I like this album more than 21st. This album is more positive overall, and Green Day is
so much better with a positive tone. This makes me excited for the next two albums.

ProjectFreak
September 20th 2012

this rating chart is hilarious

September 20th 2012

Quite so. It's ok, let the haters hate.

I need to listen to some other music to get this album off my mind so it can grow. The songs are really growing on me and I can't get them out of my head. I don't want it to die quickly.

johnnydeking29
September 20th 2012

Ratings chart looks like a dick

Digging: Naked City - Naked City

chips85

Where we see ratings... you see a dick ? LOL

DisappearingBoy
September 21st 2012

Agree with most parts of this review, I will write my first review on this album soon.