Cryptopsy
The Unspoken King

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (67 Reviews)
September 18th, 2012 | 137 replies | 4,672 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A flawed take on deathcore, but a solid album in its own right.

What can be said about The Unspoken King that hasn’t been said already? It’s a classic death metal band’s attempt at deathcore – an absolutely terrible concept on paper. Those who have heard None So Vile would cringe at the thought that the same band would use clean vocals and chugga-chugga breakdowns at some point in the future. Oddly enough, though, Cryptopsy make it work… for the most part. This is an extremely flawed album, there’s no denying that, but ignoring the band name and inevitable comparisons to their previous releases, The Unspoken King simply is a solid and technically impressive metalcore album.

The band line-up has changed almost consistently on Cryptopsy's preceding albums. The Unspoken King's line up in particular caused the most controversy among death metal fans because of the addition of a keyboardist – something that sounds sacrilegious for a band like Cryptopsy. However, the use of keyboards is sparse on the album, used only to add atmosphere in certain segments, rarely standing out on its own. Like Cryptopsy’s previous releases, The Unspoken King is all about the riffs, and thankfully, guitarists Alex Auburn and Christian Donaldson deliver.

The riffs aren’t nearly as technical as their "technical death metal"-era releases – most of the technicality has been swapped for melody and mood. However, there are some shining moments of guitar insanity, notably in 'Worship Your Demons' and the guitar solo in 'Contemplate Regicide'. 'Silence the Tyrants', one of the album's strongest tracks, has a number of excellent ideas throughout. It's also one of the few tracks where the keyboards complement the song, giving the bridge a bleak atmosphere, not unlike that of the album cover. Despite the abundance of catchy new-school riffs, bits and pieces of old Cryptopsy occasionally shine through. Tracks like 'Leach', 'Bound Dead', and 'The Plagued' feature riffs that would fit right in on Whisper Supremacy; they even go so far as to quote a part of 'Phobophile' to remind us that they haven't completely discarded their roots.

While The Unspoken King is very tight instrumentally, vocally is where the album falls flat. Matt McGachy isn’t a bad vocalist by any means, but his style simply doesn't gel with the rest of the band. His growls sound similar to Tommy Rogers’ on Between the Buried and Me’s self-titled album, and his cleans have an ubiquitously awful tone. Speaking of cleans, some sung passages on this album are nearly vomit-inducing. The bridge of 'Bound Dead' has cringe-worthy nu-metal-esque vocals, sections of 'Resurgence of an Empire' are difficult to listen to because of the horrendous melodies, and the intro of 'The Plagued' made me question whether or not I wanted to live anymore. Be that as it may, not all uses of clean vocals on The Unspoken King are bad. In fact, they fit quite well on songs like 'Leach' and 'Contemplate Regicide', but overall the album would’ve been much better off without them.

The biggest fault in The Unspoken King is the failed abortion of a song known as 'Bemoan the Martyr'. Putting it lightly, it's an embarrassment to Cryptopsy, to metal, and I’d go so far as to say that it’s one of the worst songs ever conceived by man. The album outro '(Exit) The Few' is worthless as well, beginning with an odd melodic groove for the first half of the song, then closing with the most irritating use of harsh vocals on the album, overdubbed to hell for an extremely unpleasant fade out – quite possibly one of the worst album closers in metal history.

The Unspoken King is definitely not the Cryptopsy we've come to know and love – far from it. But for metalcore fans such as myself, it’s a fresh change of pace from the mundane Once Was Not and the mediocre And Then You’ll Beg, and it was a ballsy move on their part to risk their reputation by trying something different. Going into The Unspoken King expecting another Cryptopsy album will ensure disappointment, but if you listen to it with an open mind and ignore the fact that this is the same band that wrote None So Vile, it may be worth your time.

Recommended Tracks:

Muse Dead Star/In Your WorldJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.1
poor

20794 Comments

first serious review ive done in a while, and on an extremely controversial album so im expecting a lot of hate but i really do enjoy this album

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

September 18th 2012

good review, awful album gotta neg

HAHAHAHAHAHA

LifeAsAChipmunk

September 18th 2012

Band and album are so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so bad.

2 negs already. why?

September 18th 2012

I didn't neg. Review is mostly fine.

September 18th 2012

Have you not heard None So Vile Crymson?

September 18th 2012

never fear, crymson is here!!!!!!

I didn't neg btw.

sixdegrees
September 18th 2012

3 negs already. Damn, dude.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

September 18th 2012

"Have you not heard None So Vile Crymson?"

I've listened to a few tracks. Not my thing really.

"never fear, crymson is here!!!!!!"

Solisis!!!

September 18th 2012

it's funny because I didn't actually neg. review was tl;dr

crymson check out their first 3 albums

YoYoMancuso

Crymson, listen to Slit Your Guts and Open Face Surgery

ViralOblivion

Lol solisis

review is fine btw I'm just not a fan of the record But you did good pointing out the negatives of it Especially on bemoan the
martyr

Edit:I didn't neg btw either I try not to even pos or neg reviews cause I've never done one and I know itd be horrible

September 18th 2012

"Crymson, listen to Slit Your Guts and Open Face Surgery"

I've listened to those two. And Phobophile. Do not ask me to distinguish them between each other, because that's impossible.

TheNotrap
September 18th 2012

Need to check this one, the overall rating doesn't seem fair.

Digging: Accept - Blind Rage

September 18th 2012

nah, it's pretty fair notrap. I thought this was a shit genericore band when I heard this. it pretty
much is though.

September 18th 2012

Don't bother dude, it's deathcore

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living