Flipper
Gone Fishin'

by porch USER (8 Reviews)
September 18th, 2012 | 22 replies | 2,808 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Always out of step with the prevailing direction of early 80s hardcore, the early material of San Francisco's Flipper had a subversiveness and dark wit that set them apart. Their first full length was the proto-noise rock/sludge of Generic - characterized by thick, repetitive basslines, sardonic one-liners and Ted Falconi’s feedback bleeding guitar, it remains a distinctive sound and a punk rock classic.

Gone Fishin’ gets far less recognition than the debut, which is unfortunate because it continued the attitude of doing whatever they felt like, yielding probably their best songs in the process. Not as musically one-tone as the debut, the band incorporated a more diverse array of instrumentation (xylophone, sax, piano) in a non-gimmicky fashion while sacrificing little of their intensity. Despite this, the artier leanings and more polished production definitely make it a more accessible, nuanced listen than Generic on the whole; the relentlessly thudding, tuneless bass “In Life, My Friends” blends perfectly with swirling guitar noise to become oddly catchy despite its ugliness, while the ominous bass intro of the dirge-like “Survivors of the Plague” soon gives way to Falconi’s textured playing. It’s not all great from start to finish, but the uneventful “Talk is Cheap” is at least quickly compensated for by the albums closing one-two punch, two of the best songs here.

Flipper’s second LP takes the blueprint established on Generic and builds upon it. By the time the band recorded their third proper album, it was 1993, Shatter was dead and Flipper were shadows of their former selves. Gone Fishin’ shouldn’t be overlooked by anyone with an affinity for its more well known predecessor.

Meat Puppets Meat Puppets IIStick Men With Ray Guns Some People Deserve to Suffer
Urinals Negative Capability... Check it OutCliff Martinez Drive
Void Sessions 1981-83Wipers Youth of America

September 18th 2012

any flipper fans in these parts aside from illmitch and spare

survivors of the plague: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XIg1wpbcd8

sniper

i'll give it a go.

and pos

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

cool, report back

September 18th 2012

damn dude sweet, only heard generic but i'll def get this

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

ThroneOfAgony

10 bucks for sunglasses? Fuck that

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Nice work porch

I also wanted to thank you sharing your knowledge with people on this site (especially me) because I've discovered a bunch of great records thanks to you... So, thanks man.

WeepingBanana
September 18th 2012

yeah Generic is rad i'll have to check this

AngelofDeath

dis be gud

Cheers for keeping the stream of reviews coming.

clercqie
September 18th 2012

I liked this better than Generic. More accomplished, if anything.

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

adhoc

sucks

LifeAsAChipmunk
September 18th 2012

cool, gonna give this a listen.

demigod!

WE HAVE

NOTHIN

Digging: Black Flag - My War

December 7th 2013

gona listen to this again thanks for remindin me demi

December 7th 2013

those 20 seconds or so after the "we built these slums where we starve" part in survivors of the plague get me every time

might be my fav flipper song

demigod!
December 7th 2013

yeah, that song was amazing

not sure if i like this more than generic, it's definitely weirder but not as visceral imo

need to jam again and louder

December 7th 2013

yeah i dunno if i could pick 1 over the other but this is about as perfect a follow-up as they could've done

Gwyn.

March 27th 2014

Yeah

Aren't you listening

March 28th 2014

whoever's wailin on the sax in that song does a good job, fuckin love those parts