The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses

by Hudson Echo USER (14 Reviews)
September 16th, 2012 | 9 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

The Stone Roses's self-titled debut album, released in 1989, was an extremely influential release. You can hear the sound of The Stone Roses in bands like Oasis. NME ranked it as the greatest album of all time, which it definitely isn't. But it's an excellent album nonetheless. It has a wonderful catchy, indie rock-type sound. Mani, the Stone Roses bassist, does an wonderful job on all of the tracks, and is a precursor to the Brit-Pop of the Nineties.

The first three tracks of the album are absolute classics, and are some of the best the genre has to offer. The album opens with about 40 seconds of near silence. Then a quiet bass comes in. There are only a couple of words in the slow, dark, I Wanna Be Adored. For its simplicity, it's an excellent track. The guitar work is excellent, just like in every other track. This is definitely one of the highlights of of the album.

Next comes to much more fast-paced, optimistic She Bangs The Drums. There is only one verse, which is a little unusual, and three choruses. The bass is a standout in the track, with a very catchy riff. There is an instrumental break where the bass shines. The chorus is simple but excellent. A perfect second track to the album, and another highlight.

Waterfall has a nice little riff in the beginning. After a verse, the drums and bass kick in. Like She Bangs The Drums, the chorus is short, simple, and effective. The drums are very nice on this track. Overall, Waterfall is just the perfect track. The album just starts of fantastically with three amazing songs.

"She'll carry on through it all
She's a waterfall"

Next comes the albums worst by far. Track four is just a filler song, and there's nothing more to it. It's very uninteresting. All it is, really, is Waterfall backwards. And who wants to hear Waterfall backwards? Maybe if it was two minutes, at the most, I would be okay with it, but it just chugs on for five minutes. The first time you hear it, it's a little bit fascinating to you, but on the second listen you realize how utterly dull of a song it is. This song is a waste of space.

The next track is much better, but not as strong as the first three. The verses are slow, but the chorus becomes a bit faster. The lyrics/name sound a bit stupid (Bye Bye Badman? What?) but this is a nice danceable track with some more nice drum work from Reni. The outro is very good, and over just a nice song. Not one of the best on the album, but perfectly good.

The next song, less than a minute, Elizabeth My Dear, takes its melody from the traditional song Scarborough Fair. A nice listen, but could have been excluded off of the album.

The next song, (Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister has a repetitive riff over the verses. The bass is excellent over the pre-chorus and chorus. The song is one of the most rock-sounding songs on the whole album. It has the quiet-verse loud-chorus sound to it and is a pretty good song. The chorus is catchy and I feel would be very good live. I think the song could use a solo, though, and it would be much better.

Made Of Stone, the eighth track on the album, is one of the best on the album. The verses are fantastic, with a catchy riff. The song is darker than most of the other songs on the album. The chorus is more upbeat than the verse, but it fits very well with the melody. The song has a wonderful sound to it, and is just a excellent all-around song.

After comes Shoot You Down, a quieter, simpler, and, frankly, more boring song than Made Of Stone, is one of the weaker songs on the album. The guitar work is great, but the melody itself isn't too interesting. The bridge, though, is very good, and much better than the rest of the song. Not one of my favorites on the album.

This Is The One is on the same vein as Waterfall. The riff is catchy and the chorus is loud and sing-along. The verses are quite good and quiet. The first chorus has whispered vocals, but the song builds up to an epic ending. This is one of the stronger tracks on the album, but not as good as the first three or Made Of Stone.

The final track, I Am The Resurrection, is the longest song on the album, clocking in at eight minutes. The song begins with a simple drum beat. Mani's excellent bass kicks in. Ian Brown begins singing. The chorus is fantastic, infectious, and has great lyrics.

"Don't waste your words, I don't need anything from you
I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do"

After three verses, three choruses, the words, "I am the resurrection and I am the light / I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like", and a short solo, the song's coda begins. The coda is entirely instrumental, and is somewhat of a jam session. The guitar part is fantastic, and the song is the perfect closer.

The Stone Roses' debut album is a classic to the Brit-Pop scene. With its catchy hooks, the great bass-playing, and three amazing tracks in a row, this album is a must-have.