Martyr Defiled
In Shadows

by TBliss2 USER (22 Reviews)
September 14th, 2012 | 12 replies | 2,064 views

Review Summary: A surpsingly dynamic affair

Being the third release from these UK based upstarts, what is most refreshing about 'In Shadows' is the apparent metallic know how they display beyond the the relentless chug dependence of countless deathcore peers.

Indeed, from the blast beat led fury and glistening guitar leads of 'r_Evolution', the lurching groove of 'Nemesis' and 'Prison Walls' with its simmering malevolence, it is certainly true to say that this seven track EP is a surprsingly dynamic affair. This is not to say however there are not moments of straight forward chug-a-lug brutality, yet the monsterous breakdowns replete in 'Vultures' or the otherwise full throttle violence of 'Goldstein' hit home with such a devastating impact it is difficult to question their payoff, placed fantastically for an incisive effect.

What is also commendable is the variety of influences on display here, foregoing the usual beatdown fest with the occasion blast beat thrown in which seems to plague the genre. The both aforementioned 'Vultures' and 'Nemesis' impress with a deathly delivery, some venomous tremelo picked riffing and guttural outpouring really ramping up the blood thirsty ambience, whilst tracks such as closer 'Isolate' barrel along with a thuggish stomp and a churning mid-paced sensibility, displaying a rather more lumbering, yet equally as aggressive, hardcore esque attack.

'In Shadows' is nothing groundbreaking by any means, yet the tracks on offer show a level of songsmithery and instrumental ability which manages to keep proceeding both engaging and satisfying. More importantly, this is a release which is chock full of fun, and on this evidence should see the inception of some truly venue demolishing live shows. Exciting stuff.

The Burial In The Taking Of FleshLower Than Atlantis Changing Tune
Everyone Dies In Utah Polarities (+//-)For Today Immortal
Oceans Ate Alaska Into The DeepSix Feet Under Undead

Collusion

September 14th 2012

martyr are better fuck these guys

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

Fair play.

Eulogize
September 14th 2012

Good review, will be checking this out soon.

September 14th 2012

Cheers buddy, its great stuff.

Captain666
September 14th 2012

this may not be my thing but i wanted to stop in and show my support

good review bro, posd

Cheers dude, much appreciated :D

wacknizzle

chugaluga mutha fugga

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

TwoMonthsInTheCold
September 15th 2012

Good review, pos'd. Did you hear about the UK tour they've just done/are doing where every show is £2?

September 15th 2012

Thanks man. Yeah I did, missed them unfortunately when they played near me, I've heard good things about their live show.

Slander
September 30th 2012

Nice review, I will definitely have to check out this EP, I enjoyed Collusion a good amount so it sounds like I should definitely dig this as well

Surtur
October 9th 2012

Another great review dude! Awesome EP too!

October 9th 2012