Jon Mess
Defying Gravity

Review Summary: thank you #messedgod

"You can be anything you want to be. Anything in the world!" We've all heard it, and we all know it's bullshit. I can't be a piranha, so fuck you. But Jon Mess can in fact do anything, and he proves it with Defying Gravity. On first listen it would be easy to discard Defying Gravity as a joke album or a cash-grab to pay rent, but doing so would be a disservice to music (or worse, a disservice to JON FUCKING MESS). This isn't a Dance Gavin Dance throw-away album, though. Here, Jon Mess touches base on all sorts of genres: hip-hop, dubstep, blues, post-hardcore, country, pop, children's music, and even other. He weaves between these genres with the agility and style of a man with agility and style.

Lyrically is where Jon Mess really hits the bullseye though. On "Big Furniture", he spits Where did he go? Where did he go? Find your best friend under a pile of clothes! with such venom it's impossible to not get wet. Another highlight, "CauseImStrapped" tells the story of a man who is strapped and kicks loud bitches out of his room over a dark, plodding hip-hop beat. Patiently awaiting the arrival of my daughter, she is strutting down this catwalk she is making her look smarter, if these bitches in my room getting louder than a mouse, I am kicking them out cuz its my fucking house and I'm strapped! Probably the most energetic song on the album is "YoureReallyDoingIt", combining a sweet techno beat that would make Dev turn human with lyrics telling the story of listening to someone tell someone else how to beat a level of a video game. You have to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All in all, this is the best album of the year so far. Combining the flow of consciousness delivery of Lil B and the teasingly short masterpieces of Guided by Voices, Jon Mess has altered music forever. Fuck Speak In Code, Jon Mess is strapped!

AOTY

Nice fantastimo rec

Calc
September 14th 2012

oh you were doing this tonight? I'll do mine tomorrow lol

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

drasticaction74

THIS IS THE MOST STUPID FUCK

klap
September 14th 2012

A+ particularly dig the recs

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

Ire
September 14th 2012

review rules jon mess rules #messed

drasticaction74

Recspecs

Lol

RosaParks
September 14th 2012

He weaves between these genres with the agility

XingKing
September 14th 2012

"He weaves between these genres with the agility and style of a man with agility and style."

That is classic. I love it.

September 14th 2012

What the hell is going on with this

Uranium

such a good cd

September 14th 2012

I haven't actually listened to this. Probably will since people seem to be enjoying it.

Or maybe they aren't. Hard to tell on here sometimes.

Ire

artwork is adorable aww

Wait a minute.

How in the blue fuck did this get featured?

Uranium

#thank you mess mod

September 14th 2012

The cat is staring into my soul.

Calc
September 14th 2012

HA it did get featured!!!!!!! GJ foxxy.

September 14th 2012

I don't even know who's trolling anymore.

DarthMann
September 14th 2012

best review of all time????

perhaPS