David Byrne and St. Vincent
Love This Giant

by G.M.B. USER (18 Reviews)
September 13th, 2012 | 59 replies | 5,299 views

Review Summary: Two of the quirkiest musicians come together to create a quirky and memorable record.

Collaboration albums, if nothing else, have quite the vast array of possibilities. Sometimes you get some very interesting dynamics that pay off, like Kanye Wests' collaboration with acclaimed folk artist Bon Iver. Other times, you can get an absolutely horrendous result, an absolute abomination of music that seldom anybody enjoys (I'm looking at you Metallica and Lou Reed.) So, suffice it to say, when David Byrne and St. Vincent announced their collaboration effort Love this Giant, I was more than curious as to how it would turn out.

It's certainly an intriguing combination; the legendary frontman of post punk group Talking Heads paired with the still relatively young (especially in comparison to David Byrne) but still incredibly talented Annie Clark, both having some rather quirky mannerisms about them. It's evident from the start of opening track "Who" that the duo found a good balance. Complete with a boisterous brass section (which is present throughout the entire album) the two trade vocal duties back and forth in seamless transition, playing off of each other's oddities, rather than combating them. The tracks where they do this are honestly the best and most memorable on the album.

Of course that's not to say that all the other tracks are bad. Really, there isn't a bad song on Love this Giant. Each song has something unique to set it apart from the others. Whether it's one of the rare moments where both Annie and David are simultaneously singing in "I Am an Ape" and "The One Who Broke Your Heart" or Byrne's most captivating vocal performance on "I Should Watch TV", there is nary a dull moment on the entirety of the album.

The surprising part is that the majority of the tracks on Love this Giant are written by both David and Annie. It isn't just an album where they each write their own songs and the other just makes an appearance. The two actually worked together to write these songs (the exceptions to this being "Ice Age" which was written entirely by Annie Clark, and "Outside of Space and Time" written entirely by David Byrne.)

David Byrne and St. Vincent have proven that entire collaboration albums can still work when done right. While others fall flat on their face (ahem, Lulu) Love this Giant is an engrossing, catchy, and incredibly memorable album from two of the quirkiest musicians in the business.

Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulThe Dear Hunter The Color Spectrum Live
Made In Heights APORIA: IN THESE STREETSJacco Gardner Cabinet of Curiosities
The Angels of Light We Are HimLindsey Stirling Lindsey Stirling

September 13th 2012

Probably not my best review, but oh well.

Glad I threw some money their way for this, it was well worth it. Although the CD packaging was sort of stupid.

Rikardur
September 13th 2012

Review gets to the point. I will still pos, but it would have been nice if more time was spent on the actual music inside the album.

Also, I really dig this album. Nice sounds.

greg84
September 13th 2012

Good review, but I really don't think it's so memorable. Cool album nonetheless.

Digging: Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars

omnipanzer
September 13th 2012

Very cool, can't wait to give this a spin.

Nikkolae
September 13th 2012

what is this, i must get it now!

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

AliW1993
September 13th 2012

I can't decide whether I like this or not.

September 13th 2012

I'm still on the fence about this one.

Nice review though.

greg84

Omaha
September 13th 2012

Sweet review - my love for you continues, baby.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

good review.

i got this in the mail today, the cd packaging is definitely unique, haha

Digging: Arthur Russell - World of Echo

What's it like Lakes? =)
The packaging I mean.

September 13th 2012

"Sonically, this record really reminds me of St Vincent's Actor. The use of brass instruments and the general approach to sound is pretty similar. The songs are pretty hit-or-miss. I can't help losing interest in the 2nd half of the record."

It does lose a little steam towards the middle, but man I love "The One Who Broke Your Heart." Makes up for any lost steam

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Especially Omaha.

September 13th 2012

steo, it's like a bunch of pictures in a plastic sleeve that you can pull out and look at

September 13th 2012

If I had known the CD packaging would be like this, I would have just went the extra mile and ordered the LP.

September 13th 2012

Wow, that's kind of... strange. Is it good or bad?

September 13th 2012

yeah, it's kind of annoying. i have strange mercy on vinyl.

Ah, that answers that. =P

I dunno if I'll buy it on CD then. I just googled it. Looks kinda cheap. =(

September 13th 2012

I also have Strange Mercy on vinyl. Gonna get Actor at some point too.

September 13th 2012

actor is my favorite st. vincent

September 13th 2012

I'm split between Actor and Strange Mercy. I can't make my mind up.