Gallows
Gallows

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
September 12th, 2012 | 30 replies | 1,768 views

Review Summary: Gallows “II” peer out of their nest, and jump

As far as British rock music goes, there haven’t been many recent events as controversial, as fiercely discussed and as divisive as the choice to replace Gallows beloved Frank Carter with a non-British vocalist. This was for sure a guarantee there’d be a change in sound, and so it seemed with last year’s Death Is Birth, a brazen and raw departure from the more varied and thought out sounds of Gallows’ magnum opus, Grey Britain. Unfortunately, the quality of Gallows’ previous albums was absent, generally breaking the hopes of those willing to let the “new” Gallows have a chance to prove themselves and apparently proving the doubters correct. At best, it created an even bigger division between the fan-base.

Less than a year on and Gallows are back with their first full length with Wade MacNeil. In hindsight, Death Is Birth seems more like a growing pain than a permanent tumble into mediocrity. Although they seem impatient to keep releasing new music under their new guise, Gallows seem to be growing up again faster than expected. Though a continuation of the sound marked on Death Is Birth, Gallows is a punchier, more interesting and overall much better release. The riffs chunkier and the vocals more dynamic, unlike the muddied distortion of last year’s EP, Gallows’ 3rd full length has succeeded in providing a pummelling collection of energy laden songs. It’s obvious that Gallows are determined to write heavier and sweatier music than ever before, and only now does it seem possible that more and more people might be tempted to join the cause.

Of course, that’s not to say Gallows isn’t flawed. Wade MacNeil still appears to be the weak link in the band- his monotonously gruff vocals and cringingly “macho” lyrics taking the backseat to the instruments, where the real quality lies. Guitar solos riding in sync to the music and the variations in vocals also provide something more to chew on, which Death Is Birth was never allowed. Between the background gang vocals, individual band members providing their own small parts or even the occasional times a female vocal has its part, they all, unfortunately for Gallows’ new image, steal the limelight from Wade MacNeil’s screaming. Though these heighten the overall quality of the music, they highlight this broken link in the chain.

No doubt some will still shun the new Gallows sound, but with Gallows, others may start to feel themselves being won over. The band’s songwriting ability is improving rapidly again but where it will go from here- plateau out, drop again or possibly, maybe even climb back up to Gallows’ golden age again- would appear irrelevant to the band. Because for sure, their determination to do and write what they want no matter the backlash will drive them forward no matter what.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark
Sky Ferreira Night Time, My TimeM.I.A. Matangi
The Weeknd Kiss LandNK Nothing To Be Gained Here
3.3
NothingForSomething (4)
"Gallows" does not skip a beat....

Joseph Viney STAFF (4)
Keep on swinging...

I have hope again

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

AliW1993
September 12th 2012

Pretty nice review, one or two places where the wording seems a little awkward but nothing too serious.

I was one of the few that enjoyed Death Is Birth, but I found this record to be a little underwhelming.

September 12th 2012

Where exactly? I re-read things but it often sounds different in my head to how others read it.

Death is Birth was complete shit and I was certain this would be too.

greg84

Great review. Pos'd.

I for one really like Wade's vocals on this.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

Apparently this sucks.

can't stand wade's vocals

the original True Colours is actually my most played Gallows song on my ipod, rather than any of grey
britain. I was surprised when I saw that, although I do love that song. They've yet to top it with
Wade though

Hep Kat

lol

Digging: Merchandise - After The End

ha

Eclecticist

This doesn't sound right:

This was for sure a guarantee there’d be

Good review, pos.

September 12th 2012

Odd, that sounds normal to me

Tyrael

20738 Comments

No no no no

good review though

suk

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

linguist2011
September 12th 2012

I thought Grey Britain was a solid album, so this will probably be on my wishlist too.

Digging: Black Anvil - Hail Death

September 12th 2012

don't expect this to top it

September 12th 2012

hi andcas what's the YouTube link of the day?

September 12th 2012

Have you even seen a mountain?

No you haven't.

taxidermist

Hahaha, that link.

You mean eh.

September 12th 2012

Why do people like this band