Cryptopsy
Cryptopsy

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
September 12th, 2012 | 307 replies

Review Summary: Aside from an insipid vocal and bass performance, Cryptopsy release their finest album in the last few years.

Ever since Cryptopsy lost their lead guitarist and main songwriter John Levasseur in 2005, the band have been on shaky ground. After regaining and once again losing their original vocalist Lord Worm, the band released their widely criticized album The Unspoken King, with new vocalist Matt McGachy. With their use of clean vocals, breakdowns and keyboards, long time fans were afraid that the once-Death Metal legends had become part of the modern Deathcore trend. It has since been uncertain as to how they’d regain their credibility as songwriters. Even long time bassist Eric Langlois has departed. But now, John Levasseur has returned, and along with him a brand new studio album, simply titled Cryptopsy, stated by the band to be “their most brutal, technical and dynamic release to date.”
Could it be this new album is a triumphant return to form for Cryptopsy, or will the band once again fail and fade into obscurity?

With John Levasseur back on board, it wasn’t too difficult to imagine that the band were at least going to be set on the right track. The band have put their feet back into their Technical Death Metal roots, and that much is obvious. Vocalist Matt McGachy is even trying his best to emulate Lord Worm and his efforts are (unsurprisingly) futile. When you’re stuck listening to him for too long, it just becomes a pain. His annoying vocals are like that tag on your shirt that you try to rip off when it keeps tickling the back of your neck. Even though it’s a step up from his deplorable effort on The Unspoken King, McGachy needs to naturally advance his vocals, rather than stretching his voice to try and match the power and brutishness of Lord Worm’s (especially when he cannot even nearly match his range). His monotonous vocals weigh heavily on the music and drag this album down.

Aside from the obvious vocal beefs, the music, for the most part, seems enough to make up for it. Flo Mounier being the only constant member since 1992, he still has the drumming chops to remain a consistent upside to the band and doesn’t fail to impress here, showing great technical prowess and being able to match the pace set by guitarists Levasseur and Christian Donaldson. Along with this, the album features quite a few appreciable guitar riffs and solos, which show off the technical and creative skill of both guitarists (assuming it wasn’t all just Levasseur). Also with Eric Langlois gone, we have yet to see how the new bassist, Olivier Pinard fares. Without trying to seem too critical, Pinard, along with vocalist Matt, seems to be the weak links in the band. His bass work seems too lack the ability to flow neatly alongside the guitars and feels very forced in his effort to keep up. At a couple of points they stop the rest of the band to make way for a small bass lick, which just sounds contrived and utterly like he’s trying too hard. The band also feature a few moments where they try something a little ‘experimental,’ perhaps most worth mentioning is the Jazzy interlude on ‘Red-Skinned Scapegoat.’ But hold your horses, it doesn’t actually sound as goofy and superfluous (say, like how Between The Buried And Me did the same thing on their album Colors), but actually seems to do a good job of transitioning and fitting well in the context of the music. Luckily, another redeeming factor for the album is its production; a neat mastering job and smooth production has allowed for each element to be heard and enjoyed when need be and adds to the overall enjoyment.

Aside from an insipid vocal and bass performance, Cryptopsy release their finest album in the last few years. With (mostly) impressive musicianship, song writing and a hope to put a modern spin on the old Technical Death Metal style, the band show they’re capable of maturing their music and not giving into trends because of the times. Far from their most brutal outing, Cryptopsy is technical, dynamic and an overall good sign of what the band has ahead of them.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
trainofconsequence (4)
A masterful return from a band seamingly in a dire position...

ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin (2)
Overproduced mayhem and an awful vocal performance, there is little merit to be found in this....

McStrongarm (3)
I bet it's excruciating pain to have seven dicks in your mouth. But won't you shut up for just one s...

Subrick (4.5)
A return to (sheer madness in musical) form......

MichaelSnoxall
September 12th 2012

Album was better than I expected. Vox weigh this down a lot, I was debating whether I should put this at a 3 or 3.5, but found myself enjoying it more after I'd listened to it a few times, let it sink in then listened to it a couple more times.

Anyways, band has self-released it here: http://cryptopsyofficial.bandcamp.com/

MMX
September 12th 2012

I have a hard time believing that this is actually good

Voivod
September 12th 2012

The previous album wrecked the band so bad that no label would release their next one...

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

September 12th 2012

i'll probably check this out as most people seem to like it bar the vocals, good review

oo

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

MichaelSnoxall

Thanks for the pos.

I'm still yet to check out that Grave album, Voivod, but I assume it'll trump this. 2012 isn't the best year for Death Metal though, unfortunately.

And I know they're releasing it on either the 14th this month or the 20th of November, one of those two, which I assume will be on a label. I think they might have just released it early by themselves for...reasons unknown.

Don't quote me on any of this though.

chambered49
September 12th 2012

oh snoxall your taste is quite bad sir :/

DarkSideOfLucca
September 12th 2012

Vocals suck, musicianship sounds like oldschool Cryptopsy (meaning surprisingly amazing death metal). Though this album certainly doesn't feel as horrifying as their old releases...I don't know what the fuck to rate this.

Tyrael

20883 Comments

Fuck no

the drumming is great and there are a few interesting guitar passages but damn this is lame

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Willie
September 12th 2012

The vocals sucked and the production was kind of weak.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

Tyrael

20883 Comments

'the riffs are on par with those on the unspoken king'

which means that they're bad so I don't see your point

woosh!

Voivod
September 12th 2012

but I assume it'll trump this

Haven't heard the new Cryptopsy so as to have a clear opinion, but that bandcamp link will help a lot in the near future.

I assure you, the new Grave will be a good surprise, even more if you are aware of their previous 2 albums.

September 12th 2012

the riffs are much better than on the unspoken king, though that doesn't really mean much

September 12th 2012

actually this sounds alot like whisper supremacy except the vocals are much shitter

Insurrection
September 12th 2012

great review snox. this is easily their best since whisper supremacy but yea the vox blow hard

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

4 lol

Insurrection
September 12th 2012

have you even heard this kill

yea the vocals suck dick there are some good riffs but mostly meh as shit2/2.5