Death
Leprosy

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
September 11th, 2012 | 54 replies | 1,507 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The second finest Death release

Death's second outing, Leprosy, marked their transition from the blasting, full throttle style found on their crude debut, Scream Bloody Gore, to a much more honed and refined form of aggression. Many of the songs found on this record are far longer than those on the debut, and much slower in pace, for the most part. However, this also created one of the band's finest albums as a whole, and 3 of their best compositions.

This change in style was nothing dramatic for Death, however. The band had not gone soft on their listeners, just refined the anger behind each of the songs. The title alone spells the continuation of the gore ridden lyrics found on Scream Bloody Gore. Leprosy is one of the deadliest diseases to strike a human being, causing very slow death as the body deteriorates, and this fits a band named Death perfectly.

Leprosy, the title track, kicks things off in a far more progressive nature than that found in many of Scream Bloody Gore's cuts. It contains many sudden tempo changes, a killer solo, some gorey lyrics that fit the brutal atmosphere of the song, and many memorable riffs that stay with the listener for a long time after the experience. This is also, in a sense, very catchy, in that the chorus will insantly make the listener want to shout along at the top of their lungs. This was a first for Death, and it worked.

Born Dead proves that Death have not abandoned their full on ear assaults they started with on Scream Bloody Gore. However, this is also the weakest track on the album, which may not really be saying much, but this songs quality dips dramatically compared to the rest of the album. Whilst Chuck gives his most energetic vocal performance hear, growling as if possessed by a demon, the constant speed ups and slow downs, to a more crushing mid tempo style, really do get irritating, as it happens every few seconds. However, this is still a nicely composed track, made up for by Chuck's vocals on this song.

Pull the Plug and Open Casket are the best cuts here, being a back to back, one-two punch like no other. Pull The Plug needs no introduction, as it remains one of THE definitive Death songs, with its brooding atmosphere and dark lyrics. Open Casket is widely considered to be the finest song from this album, and it really does not take a genius to see why. The riff work from Chuck Schuldiner for this song is, quite simply, amazing, with some top-notch drumming to accompany it, and Chuck's vocals, once again, on absolutely top notch. The slower sections to this song will work their way into your head and never go away, which is a very good thing, as they are all fantastic.

The guitar work for this album is utterly stellar. Chuck Schuldiner lays down riff after riff that are consistently incredible, and utterly groundbreaking for the time this was released. They are varied in pace, from the slow chords that open up Pull The Plug, to the mid paced section found 3 minutes into Open Casket, to the absolute frenzy that opens up Primitive Ways. There is never a dull riff to be found on this album.

Rick Rozz's lead work is nothing short of top notch. He plays some fantastic solos across this album, never once detracting from the songs themselves, and all of them being perfectly written. They neither occupy too much time, nor do they come across sounding forced such as the solos layed down by guitarists like Kerry King. The intro to Left To Die stands out as being the crowning achievement of Rick Rozz on this album, however. It is as short lead intro, but manages to set up the rest of the song in incredible fashion. This is one of the most underrated lead players to have lived, in my opinion.

The drumming is often criticised from this album, and I honestly fail to see why. It gets slightly repetetive, but it lays down the base for the guitars to build around, and therefore it succeeds in its primary function. The highlight of the drumming would be found on the title track, either blasting away, or setting into a mid paced style, Bill Andrews gets unjustly criticised on this album.

Terry Butler's bass is actually perfect on this album. The production on it is fine, being fairly low in the mix, but still audible to add to the songs. My favourite bass work from this album comes on the song Born Dead, where Butler really is on top of his game, with some intricate and exciting bass work, that commands as much presence as the guitar work from Chuck and Rick.
Production-wise, this album really flops. The drums are far too loud in the mix, and they often dominate the guitars. I thought the lead was far too low, and the drum volume starts to get incredibly annoying about three songs in. The guitar should always be at the front of a Death song. However, Chuck's vocals and Terry's bass are all mixed exactly as they should be, and come off with a nice quality to them.

This album is Death's second finest achievement, in my opinion, behind only Human. When compared to their later releases, this often gets overlooked, and, in some regards, it is not hard to see why. The musicianship on all later Death releases is far tighter, the lyrics better written, the transitions smoother, the riffs even more varied, the drumming tighter. However, this album is so perfectly paced, with such stellar musicianship, it manages to transcend albums such as Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance, and takes the spot as the second finest Death release. 4.5/5

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard To Be A Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds

SgtPepper
September 11th 2012

Nothing beats 80's metal in my opinion. I absolutely love Death, theyre one of the handful of death metal bands that I can honestly say I listen to repeatedly.

This is one and Spiritual Healing (Funniest artwork on this one) were okay, but the first one Scream Bloody Gore was and from Human and upward are classics.

ReturnToRock
September 11th 2012

Good review, but failure to mention Forgotten Past is fail.

Also, I think Born To Die is a good song. For me, the real fillers are the last two tracks (which you also don't mention). The title track is a beast, though - agreed.

TheNotrap
September 11th 2012

Extremely influential stuff, have a pos.

HitlerIsTheBest
September 11th 2012

i would change the summary. otherwise good review

TheNotrap
September 11th 2012

This, SBG, Seven Churches and Altars of Madness are the most influential death metal albums released in the 80's, in my opinion.

pestigayous!

ThroneOfAgony
September 11th 2012

Death have the best album artwork

linguist2011
September 11th 2012

Not the best death album, but it certainly marks its territory in the band's expansive career. It was as you say a big step in terms of progression of the band's sound, and it is clear as the songs are so much longer. The review was very detailed and well thought out, just a few spelling errors here and there.

BlackLlama

WHY DON'T YOU......

Digging: Morgana Lefay - Maleficium

Shuyin
September 11th 2012

'Worst. Death. Album. Easily.'

lolwut

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

ViperAces

inb4 change the summary.

rapes dicks

apert
September 11th 2012

how can you 2.5 this? HOW?

J0ckstrapsFTW

Ya a 2.5 is crazy lol

KjSwantko
September 11th 2012

What is this world coming to

evilford

19994 Comments

nice review. great album

I like SBG's art. This and Spiritual Healing's art are hilarious

September 11th 2012

hey its not nice to laugh at lepers

KjSwantko
September 11th 2012

"I like SBG's art. This and Spiritual Healing's art are hilarious"

Yeah the version of this artwork this is more blue-ish is one of my favorites ever

evilford

19994 Comments

I laugh at Lepers and people with cancer cuz they look funny, Death's album covers are proof!

BlackLlama
September 11th 2012

I'm sorry, as much as I love Symbolic, that wins the "worst Death album cover" contest easily.