Linkin Park
Hybrid Theory

by NuMetalFan2022 USER (4 Reviews)
September 10th, 2012 | 64 replies | 3,324 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A subjective masterpiece.

Hybrid Theory. What this album will bring to mind varies a lot. Some consider it a classic, while others consider it one of the worst albums ever. A lot of people would put it in the middle. However, you can't deny the massive success it had, selling over 10 million in the U.S. alone, and over 24 million worldwide. It was even the best selling album of 2001 in the States, despite being released the year prior. Well, enough history, let's get on with the review!

Linkin Park (in 2000):
Chester Bennington: Vocals
Mike Shinoda: Vocals, Samples
Brad Delson: Guitar, Bass, Backing Vocals
Rob Bourdon: Drums, Backing Vocals
Joseph Hahn: Turntables, Samples, Backing Vocals

This album starts of with the single "Papercut", which is an amazing introduction. It shows the great vocal duo of singer Chester Bennington, and rapper Mike Shinoda. The instruments are fairly simple, but excellent in adding to the atmosphere. The electronics of this album are present, but are more in the background, unlike A Thousand Suns, and Living Things. Another difference is that the guitar and drums are heavier than their newer albums.

Most of the album has a similar sound, however I have no difficulty in telling the songs apart from each other. There are heavier songs ("A Place for my Head", "One Step Closer"), lighter songs ("In the End", "Crawling"), and even an electronic song ("Cure for the Itch.") I think that each of they songs are great at what they do, and the album never lets up.

Another thing I enjoy about this album is the heavy use of harmony, which really does help it. The bits of electronics scattered throughout the album also helps the sound in my opinion. The guitar is pretty basic, but really helps the mood of the song. Same with the drums, which shows that it doesn't have to be complex to be amazing.

The lyrics, for what they are about, are amazing. It is mostly about problems with their young life. I know they aren't the most mature lyrics, but they are good for what they are. The lyrics are pretty comprehensible, and they don't need to rely on use of swear words (although they did go that route with "Minutes to Midnight", and "A Thousand Suns".)

This album clocks in at almost 38 minutes, and has 12 masterpieces. My favourites are probably the 3 final tracks, "Forgotten", "Cure for the Itch", and "Pushing Me Away." The latter track perfectly ends the album, making you crave to listen to it again. But all in all, every song is good to listen to.

After this, Linkin Park decided to use the same Nu Metal genre for their sophomore effort, Meteora, which is also a great listen. However, after that, they decided to experiment, with mixed feelings on my part. But in my personal opinion, this remains as my favourite album made, and an album that I recommend to everyone, no matter who you are. This may garner a lot criticism, but I will stand by that. Have a good day everyone.

"A subjective masterpiece."

This makes no sense.

Anything can be a masterpiece from a subjective perspective.

I haven't read the review yet but we already started off badly here.

Also:

lol

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

YankeeDudel
September 10th 2012

Someone's gotta rep nu metal

You got the job congrats

Digging: Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas

September 10th 2012

"However, you can't deny the massive success it had, selling over 10 million in the U.S. alone, and over 24 million worldwide"
This kinda sentence is almost invariably used to defend shit music
"the heavy use of harmony"
Bitch plz, this is a nu-bro-metal album

Digging: Naked City - Radio

Calc

12021 Comments

"A subjective masterpiece"

this is an example of trying to sound too professional and just sounding dumb.

"This song clocks in at almost 38 minutes"

Fix this..

Review is pretty meh but I've seen way worse ones get way more praise so gj

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Insurrection

20643 Comments

it is true though, linkin park is universally known for their heavy use of the harmonic and melodic minor scales extensively in their compositions

menawati

"This makes no sense.
Anything can be a masterpiece from a subjective perspective."

But isn't all appreciation of art subjective ?
Is any music an 'objective' masterpiece ? Is anything at all an objective masterpiece ?
And why am I talking pseudo-intellectual bullshit on a linkin park thread.

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

MO

lol that summary bahaha

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

menawati
September 10th 2012

sophomore = most overused word in reviews

Ok, i read the review.
It wasn't as bad as i was expecting, but it was still not very good.

The intro is pointless, what was the point of saying that it sold X amount of copies, but at least was short.
You don't explain why you think that the lyrics are good other than their lack of swears. This is a touchy point because many people(including myself) consider the lyrics to be whiny, and spewing words like "amazing" at them should get an explanation.

Also, don't say "In my opinion". Unless you can absolutely prove something without any kind of counter argument possible, it's a simple and obvious fact that it's your opinion, so theres no need to spat this in a review.

Honestly, i'm on the fence on whether or not neg this.

Fuck knows
Yeah, In Flames ripped off Linkin Park hard on their album The Jester Race; this album starts of with the single "Moonshield", which is an amazing introduction. It shows the great vocal duo of singer Anders Friden, and rapper Tommy Rodgers. The instruments are fairly simple, but excellent in adding to the atmosphere. The electronics of this album are present, but are more in the background, unlike Whoracle, and Colony. Another difference is that the guitar and drums are heavier than their newer albums.

September 10th 2012

"Honestly, i'm on the fence on whether or not neg this."
Me too

macadoolahicky

"With You" is one of my favorite LP songs ever

Calc

12021 Comments

I'm not seeing why he has to explain his opinions, it's not a debate its just a review of an album

September 10th 2012

It's a review is it not?
An author is supposed to lay down his/her points, negative or positive.

Though that is of course just me.

kwill15
September 10th 2012

Looked at album. Looked at rating. Looked at reviewer's username. lol'd

September 10th 2012

I didn't noticed that until now.

lol indeed.

EvoHavok
September 10th 2012

"This song clocks in at almost 38 minutes, and has 12 masterpieces."

Interesting

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

Sciroccu

true

GiaNXGX
September 10th 2012

Average fanboy review for an -ok- album. Anyways, your username is ew.