Mono
For My Parents

by Eli EMERITUS
September 6th, 2012 | 142 replies

Review Summary: Mono are as fine tuned as ever, but lacking the dark dramatics of their previous albums "For My Parents" makes for a divisive and somewhat disappointing listen.

To outright criticize Mono for a lack of originality would be an exercise in futility. After all, the Japanese post-rock band has stuck to their guns by producing the same album over and over again, with little to no change in sound or presentation. And while we as music listeners scoff at such unabashed stubbornness, there’s something undeniably endearing about such resilience. Mono do not change because there is no reason to. Like it or not, the band works like a fine tuned, well-oiled machine. All the parts work in accordance, as they have for the last decade. The bold dramatics that the band employs are a genre staple, which has been honed thanks to the addition of more instruments and cleverer songwriting. And while For My Parents sees a return to all of this excellence, one cannot help but feel like Mono are somewhat muted. The pitch-perfect sound is still there, but missing is the heartrending emotion that has made the band such a powerful force.

For My Parents, as stated, is Mono playing Mono. The tremolo picked builds lead into the explosive climaxes much as they always have. The songs are massive, churning movements that test the listener’s patience as they grow at a crawling pace. Sadly it must be said that this time around the payoff isn’t equal to the investment. In 2009’s Hymn to the Immortal Wind, the climaxes that ended each song were gargantuan, erupting in a wall of noise that felt both contained and all over the place. No matter how often one hears them, each time it is something to marvel. Yet here we find these moments to be somewhat diminished. Yes there are “big” endings, but compared to what the band has done before it all feels a bit trite. That evocative feeling they make one feel is replaced with simple admiration, as the band as seemingly forgotten how to captivate. More importantly, For My Parents has some definite pacing issues that make extended listens a minor chore. At 60 minutes, the five song album features a lot of wasted space towards the end. Where the band has always exceled at utilizing each moment-even the silences-this time around there’s a lot of bloat, namely during the 15 minute “Unseen Harbor.” This issue plus the lacking climaxes adds up to some rather disappointing moments.

Mono have adhered strongly to their past, but with For My Parent the band has changed up their tone considerably. Mono has always been a very dark band, with brooding sounds and ultra-warm tones. On the band’s sixth album things have shifted into noticeably brighter territory. The closer especially feels much more hopeful than anything else the band has done. It is a much lighter album, which is in part thanks to a less claustrophobic atmosphere. This may not be what many are expecting, but hearing the band in such a different light is actually incredibly refreshing, and helps the album from feeling too stale.

Despite the glaring issues with Mono’s latest album, it is not beyond reproach. As stated ad nauseum, this is a Mono album through and through, so much in fact that this reviewer felt déj* vu during some of the more lulling parts. Depending on one’s feelings towards the band, this will be a key factor in whether or not this is a worthwhile listen. For many, however, the promise of more music as beautiful as You Are There and Hymn to the Immortal Wind will be enough to dive right in once again.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
more of the same but far, far less....

September 6th 2012

Aaaaaand this is how I actually feel.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

Omaha
September 6th 2012

Aww, but when you had it at a 4.5 I was so happy for you.

it's still a 4.5 in my heart, but logically this is what I really think of it

2067 Comments

this reads like a 3.0. i hope your opinion on the album wasn't influenced by other people's negativity (*cough* noctus *cough* :P). to drop from a 4.5 to a 3.5 so quickly is bizarre. if you love an album then stick to your guns. unless it genuinely did wear off that quickly for you.

2067 Comments

music isn't logical. it's subjective. if this album feels like a 4.5, then you should give it 4.5.

September 6th 2012

This was never a 4.5 for me I was just being a douche fanboy. Just read my soundoff and it will become totally obvious

2067 Comments

fair enough. i mean i'm not sure why i'm complaining since i'm quite in agreement with you. i was just concerned that the review might have been a little rushed out if you're in the middle of still figuring out how much you like the album. i mean rushed in judgement, not rushed in writing style of course. the review is very well-written.

September 6th 2012

I've been listening to this for awhile. I like what they tried to do with this but in the end it felt much blander and less daring than anything they've done. It feels like they just wrote songs for the sake of writing songs.

AliW1993
September 6th 2012

Where's the best place to start with these guys?

Poet
September 6th 2012

that necessarily isn't a bad thing either.

Poet
September 6th 2012

that necessarily isn't a bad thing either.

2067 Comments

i'd start with walking cloud. it's the perfect balance between their older, darker style, and their newer, more dramatic, emotional style. if you find you like the darker, rockier sounds in walking cloud (lost snow), then head backwards and get one more step. if you find you're enjoying the more pretty side (halcyon), then move forwards and get you are there and then hymn to the immortal wind. if you like the theme songs to band of brothers and the pacific, and want to hear 60 minutes-worth of alternative cuts of said theme songs, get for my parents.

breakingthefragile
September 6th 2012

Well, no need for me to write a review of this anymore. This review says pretty much everything I ever could have said and more, except I think I'm gonna go with a 4 for a rating. As always, awesome job Eli.

September 6th 2012

for my parents, forever ago

conformity!

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

FadedSun
September 6th 2012

I'm seeing them soon. I always love their live shows. I'm going to buy the album at the show, so I'll listen to it in full then. This will be the first time I hear the songs live before I hear the recorded versions.

DarkNoctus

better than my review. :]

Ire

zzZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DarkNoctus
September 6th 2012

awww, ire is taking a nap! cute :]

conformity!

I calls em as I sees em and this is a 3.5
My issues are valid, this is a weaker Mono release. I don't care how much it sounds like the rest of their discog, it's weaker.