Rainbow
Live in Munich 1977

by manosg USER (28 Reviews)
September 6th, 2012 | 19 replies | 2,791 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: On their way to support On Stage, Rainbow manages to record an even better live album.

After releasing the successful and influential Rising, Rainbow were at the peak of their artistic careers. Moreover, at the point the concert in Munich took place the band had also recorded most songs from Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll. Therefore, the set list for a live performance had unlimited potential. In Munich, the band played 4 songs from their first album, only 1 from Rising, 2 from the upcoming Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll and covered Deep Purple’s Mistreated.

The concert begins with a great performance of Kill the King; the forefather of power metal, unreleased at the time. Speedy, filled with great riffs and arpeggios and unknown at the time. Amazingly, this is the only song which is almost identical to its studio version.

Next comes Mistreated, originally included in Deep Purple’s Burn album. It begins with a solo from Ritchie but the standout is Dio’s powerful and melodic performance. Dio approaches this song differently than Coverdale’s bluesy manner. Even though both versions are great, Dio adds an epic dimension to the song which I prefer.

16th Century Greensleeves starts with the traditional English folk song (Greensleeves) performed by Ritchie before he plays the great riff we all know and love. The way Blackmore fuses these two songs is splendid. Needless to say, this song is far superior to the studio version. Nevertheless, it makes me wonder if the Blackmore’s Night project was in his mind since then.

Catch the Rainbow follows and the atmosphere is deeply emotional as Ronnie James Dio puts on a top notch vocal performance while Blackmore adds some great solos to the song which make it more soulful and rich. The whole band improvises on a 17:30 minute epic. The highlight of the song is the amazing climax that leads to an intense guitar solo.

Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll adds some party mood to the concert as we can listen to Dio’s communication skills while he interacts with the German audience as he prompts them to participate by singing the chorus.

Man on the Silver Mountain is where Blackmore shows off his blues skills with some great licks and Dio accompanies him with his mellow singing. The band manages to blend seamlessly blues with hard rock while making a minor reference to Lady Starstruck.

Still I’m Sad serves as an improvisation platform for all band members but mostly Dave Stone, the band’s keyboard player. The song begins with an atmospheric organ solo while Dio puts in an enchanting vocal performance that missed from the album recording. Cozy Powell shows off his drumming skills while Bob Daisley provides some solid bass lines. Nevertheless, there are points where I feel that the guys seem to lose focus by trying to impress the audience or as Blackmore used to say to his fellow band members “try to push each other off the stage”.

Lastly, the concert finishes with the only song from Rising, Do you Close Your Eyes? The atmosphere is highly celebratory but the band still sounds tight. Blackmore, in a typical fashion back then, plays guitar with his feet and destroys a couple of Stratocasters as the night comes to a close under the sounds of Over the Rainbow.

Overall, this is a better live recording than On Stage and can even be considered a classic rock live album. It’s a purely electrifying live performance without studio tweaks which only adds to the wonderful feeling of a Rainbow concert. Its only drawback is the lack of more songs from Rising such as Stargazer or Light in the Black. On the other hand, Blackmore never seemed to be predictable (or even stable). However, he proves once more that when he is in the mood to play some music (rather than sitting in a dark bar drinking ale) he is the prototype of guitar hero and a brilliant showman.

Villagers of Ioannina City RizaDio This Is Your Life
Canned Heat Boogie With Canned Heat1000MODS Vultures
Loreena McKennitt The Book of SecretsTheatre Of Tragedy Theatre of Tragedy
4.6

menawati
September 6th 2012

Well, I quite like On stage so if you say this is better I'll check it out.

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

damn havent heard

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

JamieTwort

19897 Comments

I have the DVD of this, it rules.

Jethro42

I want this

SgtPepper
September 6th 2012

It's been a while since I've heard Rainbow. I havent heard this album yet so I'll have to look into it. good review, POS'd.

Jethro42

KILL THE KIIIIIIING
TEAR HIM DOWNNNNNNNN

menawati
September 6th 2012

Tarot Woman was never on their live albums, dunno why it was fking epic.

EverythingEvil2113
September 7th 2012

Love this, wish they woulda played Light in the Black though.

September 7th 2012

If they included Stargazer, Light in the Black and Gates of Babylon in their set list, then we would be probably talking about the equivalent of Made in Japan. A dreamlike performance.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

EverythingEvil2113
September 7th 2012

Indeed, but if anyone wants to hear this it's on Spotify.

MNb
March 2nd 2013

While DP recorded a perfect live album with Made in Japan Rainbow never did. Sure, this version of Mistreated is the best with Dio (I dislike the Düsseldorf 1976 version because of the silly call and answer game at the end). Sure Kill the King is about as good as every other version, though I slightly prefer Tony Carey's textures. Sure it has the best versions of Long Live Rock'n'roll and Do you close your Eyes. Sure Daisley is a better bass player than Bain and sure his backing vocals are excellent. But Catch the Rainbow is a notch weaker plus somewhat lacks the tension; the same for 16th Century Greensleeves. Moreover Blackmore changed the riff of Still I'm sad and I'm not sure it's an improvement. Stone's solo preceding it is excellent though and it's also great to listen to the adaptation of Ode to Joy.
So I'm going to cop out and give the same rating.
For the best live version of Stargazer check Live in Düsseldorf 1976.

March 3rd 2013

This version of 16th Century Greensleeves is the best imo.

For anyone who wishes to listen to this album it can be found at:

Disc 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zz6uFMMrCw
Disc 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJHai1yhjg

MrSirLordGentleman
June 3rd 2013

Mistreated, Catch the Rainbow and Man On the Silver Mountain are far superior on On Stage, but this
has more songs, plus is THE footage of this line-up, so they're equally great in my opinion

Also, I think the sound production is slightly weaker in this one too

rockandmetaljunkie
June 10th 2013

Nice review, even though I don't like tbt reviews this is actually well written, so have a pos.

If I had to choose between this and "On Stage" which one would you propose me to buy ?

June 11th 2013

Thanks buddy, this was my very first review for the site. If you were to buy one Rainbow live it would definitely be this one.

deslad
November 3rd 2013

Great review. The album is truly phenomenal.

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

November 4th 2013

Agreed, album rules. But then again it's Blackmore so it's kind of expected ;)

deslad
November 4th 2013

Haha, this is so true. But Dio's performance is also quite memorable.

MrSirLordGentleman
April 27th 2014

This version of Still I'm Sad remains as one of the greatest things I've seen played live