Abyssal
Denouement

by xVision USER (2 Reviews)
September 6th, 2012 | 46 replies

Review Summary: Mind-blowing throughout the whole record, Denouement sounds extremely depressing and showcases great musicianship - all you could hope for in a black/death metal album.

Think about something in your life that you loved and couldn’t get rid of, without knowing the exact reasons as to why this is; something that doesn’t have any particular striking feature. Take a bathroom for example: whether it’s to take a ***, brush your teeth or take a shower, you couldn’t live without it. Or food: do you like the taste, the smell or the look of it? You like it as a whole and appreciate it for its completeness.

That's the case with Abyssal's debut album Denouement, an atmospheric blackened death metal band. Mind-blowing throughout the whole record, which clocks in at 50 minutes, it showcases excellent musicianship and vocals – don’t get me wrong, you will not understand a word of what he says, but these raw-sounding growls do add aggressiveness. Guitars sound great, and while riffs are not always extremely technical and might sound repetitive after a while, they give the album a depressing and sad tone. “When Paradigms Supplant Gods”, using an outstanding combination of blast-beats and melodic guitars, is definitely one of the top tracks on “Denouement”. As for “Swansong of a Dying Race”, a 10-minute epic, it is an absolutely amazing song mainly because of its second half sounding so depressing and sad. However, there is an overly obvious lack of human touch when it comes to the drums, which are programmed. Also, like previously mentioned, the vocals aren’t understandable to the slightest, and this may be a bummer for some. Nevertheless, Denouement remains an exceptional debut by a promising band, and the overall feel is what makes this album what it is: great.

Hawks (4)
You need a mind condom for the mind fuck you're about to experience....

September 5th 2012

Short write-up: I felt like giving a second opinion on the album. Constructive criticism appreciated.

September 5th 2012

Sweet review bro, pos, quick read but you hit some solid points and this is excellent for your first review. Keep 'em comin bro :]

September 5th 2012

Thanks man, appreciate it.

September 5th 2012

"all you could hope for in a black metal album."

change to "death/black album"

"Think about something in your life that you love and "

*loved

"to why this is. Something that doesn’t have any particular striking feature."

*semicolon after "is" rather than period

"those are not made to understand"

sentence doesn't make sense in its context

"vocals aren’t understandable"

not sure sure how formal you intended this to be but you'd want "the" before this phrase starts

"and the overall feel is what makes the album what it is"

"this" album

^hope this helps bro

September 5th 2012

Thanks for the amazing feedback bro, I appreciate it. I just corrected it.

September 5th 2012

my pleasure bro, ur koo as fuk so im way down to support, i hope to see more revs from u in the future bro, keep it m/

Thanks bro

CrimsonFloyd
September 6th 2012

While I do not find it to be as depressing as you make it out to be, have a pos.

September 6th 2012

Thanks man. I think this comes from you knowing a lot more Black Metal or Blackened Death Metal bands than me.

bach
September 6th 2012

A little short, but solid none the less. Pos'd

Digging: Mirroring - Foreign Body

zaruyache
September 6th 2012

The computerized drums sound terrible, but the rest of this album is good.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

September 6th 2012

all u gotta do is buy a casio keyboard for around 130 and manually play out the drums with the various stock kits and trueness has been revealed

September 6th 2012

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

September 6th 2012

"well if someday all metal bands switch to programmed drums this will be a classic"

ha that'll be the day, i won't wanna even live anymore

September 6th 2012

Don't even mention that lol, makes me scared.

September 6th 2012

it'll never happen, real drums r two koowel

Yup, and I am one.

September 6th 2012

we should collabe to u hv drum mics

September 6th 2012

What do you mean? Collaborate to buy myself drum mics?