Gallows
Gallows

by Joseph Viney STAFF
September 3rd, 2012 | 117 replies

Review Summary: Keep on swinging

What’s in a name? Everything apparently. The debate over which is better – Frank or Wade’s Gallows – rages incessantly on the internet’s intellectual hot-spots; Last FM pages and YouTube video comments. Luckily, the group gives their verdict in a typically defiant fashion. “Everybody loves you/when you’re f*cking dead” barks MacNeil on the similarly titled second track. The implication here is that Gallows, or at least what remained of them after Carter’s departure, would rather burn out enveloped in failure than slide cosily into awed reverence after a mere two albums.

Whether Gallows is better or worse than what came before is a moot point. Some of the hallmarks remain; wanton aggression, breakneck pace and disparate moods planted throughout. What does stand out here is the album’s lean qualities. Eleven songs fly by in a matter of 32 minutes; fat trimmed, excesses dispensed with and a more palatable, back-to-basics approach is implemented. In accordance with their imposed and circumstantial philosophy, Gallows concentrate solely on the present and my word, these fellas have a LOT to say about the modern world.

Where songs like “London Is The Reason” became the soundtrack to England’s 2011 summer riots, Gallows’ newly-found trans-Atlantic flavour means that further, wider issues are being explored. The notion that Gallows are happy to highlight and subsequently tear down the zeitgeist is very much apparent. The upcoming U.S. elections provide the ammunition against the “religious right” on “Cult Of Mary”; the child’s chorus singing along with MacNeil providing a suitably macabre take on things. “Victim Culture” bulldozes the increasingly litigious state of affairs those nations either side of the ocean have to endure. “In us we trust,” growls MacNeil before his cohorts join him in affirming that “victim culture’s on the rise.” “Austere” might well appeal to those feeling the squeeze as a result of the economic crises and world government attempts at belt-tightening, and whilst “Vapid Adolescent Blues” could alienate a sizeable number of their fanbase, it is dead on in its assessment of a world becoming dumb and dumber by the minute.

An uninspired choice at first, MacNeil sounds very much at home with Gallows. The group too sound a lot more comfortable and free to express themselves. As much as a talisman that Carter could be, his persistent will-he-or-won’t-he-leave pantomime became as much a part of the band as the music itself. Instead, everyone involved contributes with aplomb. There is not one note out of place; the music remaining tight, aggressive and addictive throughout. Gallows once again sound like a gang with their backs to the wall displaying a newfound sense of ‘f*ck the world.’ Then again, it’s already f*cked.

“You can stare at a car crash/but it’ll stare right back” state Gallows on “Odessa”. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Where Gallows might have turned into a sputtering wreck on the side of the road, they have instead gone eyeball-to-eyeball with all and sundry, releasing what is perhaps their most defining statement thus far.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan
NothingForSomething (4)
"Gallows" does not skip a beat....

fish CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Gallows “II” peer out of their nest, and jump...

Aids
September 3rd 2012

this is a wonderful review, nice work jviney.

i was never much of a Gallows fan, and I'm irrationally mad at all the various side-projects resulting from Alexisonfire's split, so I probably won't get this. but it was a great review.

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

AliW1993
September 3rd 2012

Good to see there's someone else here that likes the new Gallows. I've not heard this yet but I liked the EP quite a bit.

Excellent review as per.

DatsNotDaMetulz

1918 Comments

While it's gonna turn out better for Gallows, I still see comparisons with Sepultura after Max left and they brought in Derrick. People will always want Frank back no matter what happens and despite the fact that I expect this to be a great album (no stream yet iirc?) I do fear that the whole frontman thing will hang over them for a long time yet.

Captain North
September 3rd 2012

Aside from my love of frank and the Britishness of old gallows, my only real issue with the new Gallows is they sound like every other toughnut hardcore/metalcore band. How can you give them a 4 when they totally fail to stand out?

September 3rd 2012

I did consider that when listening to the record and writing the review. I think that whilst it *might* not stand out when placed next to their contemporaries sound-wise, the fact it has been made at all, is actually a great record and shows great promise for the future marks it out immediately.

StagnantWords
September 3rd 2012

Im really looking forward to listening to this, nice review.

I've never heard anything else from this band besides the ep when wade just joined them (honestly only reason i tried this band) does this compare to previous works? Are they REALLY worth checking out

September 3rd 2012

I'm a big fan of their second LP, "Grey Britain". Particularly the songs "London Is The Reason" and "Leeches". Give them a whirl if nothing else.

greg84
September 3rd 2012

I had a feeling this was going to slay. Good review, except this part:

"Gallows concentrate solely on the present and my word, these fellas have a LOT to say about the modern world."

^I have no idea why "my word," is there.

September 3rd 2012

It's supposed to be a bit more informal and conversational. That was the plan anyway.

greg84
September 3rd 2012

Cool. Now I get it. I've just checked the meaning of 'my word' in this sentence.

September 3rd 2012

It's a British thing mainly, I think.

InFiction

Boo. Bring back Frank.

22059 Comments

has this leaked or are you using staff privileges?

need to hear this but after the EP my expectations are low

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Staff privs, I'm afraid.

shanshanson

Lame band

just a week to go

Hep Kat

i am 100% certain this is at least as terrible as all their other work

whether sputnik will come to embrace this, however, i am 76% uncertain

*The above message contains a totally-not-veiled reference to a classic hardcore band. If a user can figure out this codex they shall win at sputnik and gain 500000000000 internets points*

Digging: Burning Kitchen - Many Wonder About the Meaning of Life

that took about 30 seconds

Captain North
September 3rd 2012

Dammit, anarchist won the Internet again

clercqie