Monuments
Gnosis

by Billy USER (32 Reviews)
August 27th, 2012 | 453 replies | 22,861 views

Review Summary: Raw and powerful.

Tumultuous doesn’t even come close to describing the past few years for English progressive metal band Monuments. The brainchild of Jon Browne, former guitarist of Fellsilent (which also spawned Tesseract guitarist Acle Kahney), Monuments has gone through a multitude of line up changes, including losing a couple of vocalists before settling down for long enough to record their debut Gnosis after years of trying. The result, though, is more than worth the wait.

Gnosis is monolithic. The mechanical, jarring nature of the guitar work clearly pays homage to metal titans Meshuggah, however the riffs found on Gnosis are more dynamic and interesting than anything the aforementioned has released in years. Add to that Matt Rose’s phenomenal, yet very raw vocals and the product is something to behold. It’s rare for an album to immediately grab me as Gnosis has. In fact, there are very, very few albums that have done so.

‘Admit Defeat’s cleanly picked intro quickly descends into distorted chaos, displaying an intensity only very few bands are capable of. Similarly, ‘Degenerate’ is quite possibly the angriest track you’ll hear this year, expressing complete and utter disgust at the state of the human race. The majority of the album keeps a similar formula, with explosions of distortion coupled with sporadically picked clean guitar being the main recipe. Thus, Rose’s vocals are the main source of variation throughout, doing more than enough to keep the listener interested.

At only nine tracks/40 minutes long, Gnosis never outstays its welcome. In fact, you’ll probably find yourself going back for a second listen very quickly. Take ‘Blue Sky Thinking’ for example; Rose commands your attention by alternating between cleans and screams through slightly off kilter vocal melodies that only add to the album’s intrigue. The result is one of the best songs to be released this year. Elsewhere, ‘Doxa’s pummelling drum fills do battle with Rose’s expansive vocal range for one of the more impressive moments on the album.

Fuelling comparisons with their American counterparts Periphery, Rose and Spencer Sotelo (Periphery vocalist) join forces on final track ‘Denial’ in a duel vocal assault, proving to be more than enough to make any djent fan boy wet their pants in excitement. Sotelo’s higher register provides a welcome contrast to Rose’s more gravelly voice, giving rise to a touch more melody compared to the previous eight tracks.

Despite the turmoil the band has been through, the result is completely and utterly worth it. Monuments have released what is an excellent debut and the perfect base to build on as they grow as a band. Yes, it's raw and somewhat straightforward in terms of songwriting, but that is a huge drawcard. Gnosis is sure to be one of the metal albums of 2012.

Twelve Foot Ninja Silent MachineUneven Structure Februus
Fair to Midland Arrows and AnchorsTrial Kennedy Living Undesigned
Over-Reactor Lose Your DelusionFloating Me Floating Me
Jake Madaffari (4)
Delivered with a side of fresh and original instrumentation. If you don't like it, spit it out....

Vooligan
August 27th 2012

First review in at least a year. Album fucking rules, deal with it.

And yes, I love Matt's vocals.

August 27th 2012

Gonna try this based on your review. Hope its different and better than most Djent releases.

August 27th 2012

Oh and great review, pos.

Vooligan
August 27th 2012

Definitely check it out, it's way better than Periphery

GiaNXGX

deal with it.

Listened, didn't impressed me at all; it has a couple of interesting moments but most of all can be summarized as a en-capsuled version of Uneven Structure meets Tesseract aka: unoriginal palm muted progressive post-hardcore.

Butkuiss

Aww yeah.

I still need to listen to this more, but it's pretty cool. I miss Neema though.

Digging: The National - High Violet

Lol post-hardcore

Digging: Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

August 27th 2012

Where do you live Vooligan?

MO
August 27th 2012

"Hope its different and better than most Djent releases."

not at all, same ol' djent

plus the vocals are awful yet again go djent!

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Evreaia
August 27th 2012

Only thing I like about this is the album art

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers

xandermander
August 27th 2012

band/album are awesome. I love Sotelo's part on the last track, but the entire album grooves so hard.

Great review btw

August 27th 2012

Not impressed. The vocals are horrible and this doesn't bring anything interesting or new to me. Oh well, looks like I've still got to wait for a Corelia full length.

August 27th 2012

Guitar tones and grooves were nice but overall this just seemed too familiar to warrant a higher rating from me.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

silentstar
August 27th 2012

I wish they had someone else do the cleans, because that is what brings down the album in the end. The music is beautiful, and the harsh vocals are good enough. Man, those cleans...

EDIT: The cleans are actually better than I thought. The first two tracks just happen to show them at their worst.

Omaha
August 27th 2012

Gotta check this out, sweet review.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

wacknizzle

11909 Comments

Nice review, I've had this album over a week and still haven't listened past Admit Defeat. I need to get on that.

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

Spec
August 27th 2012

Is this the band with the terrible vocalist?

mdross95
August 27th 2012

Lol @ comparing shit like this to Periphery or Uneven Structure. This is uninspired, flat, screechy
bullshit. The other two, especially US, are not. Album sucks, deal with it.

P.S., the vocals are terrible.

August 27th 2012

^ lol a periphery fanboy