Germ
Wish

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
August 26th, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,500 views

Review Summary: Progressive Classical Pop-Electro Black Metal N’ Roll

Whoever came up with the idea of Electro Black Metal? What an absurd idea. Surely it couldn’t work. It’s just a large improbability...right?
Anyone familiar with the underground Black Metal scene has heard of the bands Austere, Woods of Desolation or Nazxul and many other related projects. What do all these projects have in common? They’re all projects featuring Sorrow, or Tim as you may or may not know him. Being one of the biggest musicians on the Australian Black Metal scene, Tim has also been working on his solo project Germ, which he started in 2003. A project dedicated to his love of Rock, Pop, Electronic, Classical and Black Metal music. Dedicated followers of his may have been a little shaky about this idea, but Tim debuted his first Germ album Wish in March, 2012 and, well, it works a lot better than one might have guessed.

Let’s face it, nobody ever imagined that Black Metal fused with cheesy 80’s synths and Rock music would have turned out well, but this album is a pleasant surprise. Germ has got the atmospheric grandeur common in Black Metal, along with Tim’s signature wails, still unintelligible and full of power. Over the top of that there are excessive synths, Rock and Heavy Metal style guitar solos and at times there are operatic vocals in the background. It all just goes onto a massive scale and defines the word ‘epic.’ The album feels like a desolate space adventure, which it should, seeing as the album is heavily space-themed.

But this album does take a turn for the worse and it’s quite a large downside: Tim’s clean vocals. When he’s shrieking, he’s excellent and it compliments the music perfectly, but he heavily uses clean vocals on this record and he’s just...not very good. It makes it a chore to sit through and because of his very lame vocal work with his cleans, it just brings the tacky 80’s Pop Rock feel to new highs, or lows, it seems.

However when he’s not singing, the music is phenomenal and is more than enough to make up for it. Even though listening to this album might make me feel like a square, it’s still a fun listen and I haven’t disliked any less over multiple listens, in fact quite the opposite, this album really grows. I do recommend listening to this at least once, at least to say you’ve listened to Progressive Classical Pop-Electro Black Metal N’ Roll.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

August 26th 2012

Just a quick write up. Not my best review. Wanted to get this out there and hear what others think.

Progressive Classical Pop-Electro Black Metal N’ Roll

oh and pos'd

danke.

NoMeansYes
August 26th 2012

This sounds really weird, got to hear this.

August 26th 2012

Thanks for picking that up, didn't notice. As I said, very quick write up. Will fix now.

And yes, everyone needs to hear this.

BodomThrashMachine

Progressive Classical Pop-Electro Black Metal N’ Roll

hmm [2]

menawati
August 26th 2012

Listened to some, sounds interesting, will explore more.

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

GiaNXGX
August 26th 2012

Oh, I saw this in a DSBM blogspot a couple of months ago but besides its artwork, nothing else picked up my attention (it was not labeled as "Progressive Classical Pop-Electro Black Metal N’ Roll" but as "post-black metal" and I was expecting a sub par work) so now that you have reviewed it, and as I enjoyed Woods of Desolation's latest. I'll check this out for sure:]

zaruyache
August 26th 2012

Need to listen to this eventually. I know a lot of people that dig it.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

ThyCrossAwaits
August 26th 2012

This is bizarre and I don't know if it's going to end up interesting or fucking stupid in its pretension.

August 26th 2012

Two negs. I neg those negs.

Funeralopolis
August 26th 2012

The review didn't go really into any detail at all. So it deserves a neg on that note.

In this format my review for an electric wizard album would like look:

"everyone thought metal was all about speed? Well quirky ol' electric wizard have big monolithic riffs and play stoner metal. Who ever would have thought metal that was slow would sound cool? Don't like the vocals btw. 4/5"

Digging: Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

August 26th 2012

Hahaha, fair point. I did my best to describe the sound, and my likes and dislikes about the album. Did throw it together in like ten minutes, should probably have taken more time. Oh well.

xplosive59
October 16th 2012

Never heard anything like this, it blends Trance and Black Metal really well. Not a fan of the vocals though but everything else is outstanding!

Keyblade
November 2nd 2012

soooo...this rules

Digging: Paraxism - .Xism Excursion

November 2nd 2012

Yeah, my review doesn't do it justice.