Wild Nothing
Nocturne

by tarkus USER (16 Reviews)
August 24th, 2012 | 172 replies

Review Summary: I know where to find you, I know where you go

Wild Nothing’s sophomore full-length Nocturne continues Jack Tatum’s streak of stellar performances unrivaled in dream pop, a genre who’s output is beyond inconsistent, from a horde of bands who take the standard sound and create a decent album worth listening to once or twice, to the exponentially smaller amount of bands who take dream pop and transform it into an experience that stays with the listener beyond the initial fascination and for so much longer. Gemini, the first effort of Wild Nothing is one such album, and the following 7 inch EPs that barely satiate the appetite for more of Tatum’s wondrous music are up to par with the expectations raised by Gemini and then some.

Jack Tatum’s work under the moniker brings out the spirit of youth through the music, illustrating the in-love teenager in all of us; the slightly depressed yet slightly joyous “butterflies-in-your-stomach” juvenile, the side of all of us that exists but is never shown because we are all too busy flexing our muscles and exerting pseudo-macho auras. Tatum says through his music what is on everybody’s mind at some point but for fear of being called a pussy or any number of emasculating insults that ultimately have no meaning, is never expressed. The overall theme here is not unlike those put forth by Robert Smith back in the 1980s, one of love and happiness but also one of love and disappointment, an album both for summer and for winter, just as Gemini before it.

As far as the music goes, the dropped torch that is classic-era The Cure, has been completely picked up again, along with some Smiths and other various ‘80s influences. Yes, like Gemini every single bass line will be stuck in your head at some point in the next day or for every day for the next week after listening, for that matter. Everything about Wild Nothing is catchy, let’s not forget that this is purely pop music at the core, only surrounded by perfectly placed dreamy synths, interlocking guitars, infectious drum beats, and Tatum’s distinctive hazy vocal style laced with his high pitched croon that adds yet another superb dimension to the music.

Similar to Gemini yet with slightly more post-punk influence than the more dream pop oriented debut and subsequent EPs, Nocturne manages to deliver a more than satisfying follow up to the near classic first LP. I would list a few choice tracks as any good reviewer should do, but that would be completely unnecessary because when we’re talking about Wild Nothing, every track is nothing short of flawless and therefore I’m just going to tell you to listen to the entire album.

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band A Child's Guide to Good and EvilThe Brian Jonestown Massacre Strung Out In Heaven
Van der Graaf Generator H to He, Who Am the Only OneHawkwind Onward
Can The Lost TapesThe Flaming Lips The Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends

August 23rd 2012

aoty as if anyone expected otherwise

im pretty sure this is released but in case it isnt heres a stream: http://capturedtracks.com/news/stream-nocturne-in-full/

oh my god yes yes yes

album is 2 good

SgtPepper
August 23rd 2012

Good review, mate. I'll look into this. POS'd.

YankeeDudel
August 24th 2012

Nice. Ill prob listen to this tomorrow. Liked the few songs I heard.

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

August 24th 2012

hey poohead, you got his name wrong. it's jack, not will. negd.

August 24th 2012

lol will tatum nice one yo guys his name is WILL TATUM ha. love wild nothing

August 24th 2012

you like this guy a bit too much tarkus calm the fuck down

August 24th 2012

dude sup yeah dont know where i got will from cos his name was right in front of me the entire time i was writing this

chambered49

August 27th 2012

moar like

instantradical
August 28th 2012

Only Heather is frickin awesome.

August 29th 2012

same it's my fave

chambered49
August 29th 2012

RULES RULES RULES

had a 1.9 avg like two weeks ago lol

GET ON THIS SHIT guh

September 2nd 2012

too good eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrggggggghgghhgg as long as hawks or potato dont listen to this i can relax and enjoy it

Aids
September 2nd 2012

i keep trying to download this but my connection keeps cutting out as it's about 80% done

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

September 2nd 2012

listen to the stream dogg thats what its there for

Romulus
September 2nd 2012

gave this a quick listen but it didn't sound as good as gemini