Marc Leclair
Musique Pour 3 Femmes Enceintes

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This isn’t just "music for three pregnant women", this is music for all of us to cherish.

French Canadian electronic musician Marc Leclair knew exactly what his mindset was when making this album and it's pretty obvious. His wife was pregnant with along with a few of her friends and what a better way to go through the tedious journey to the miracle of birth then to create an album based on the moods of different intervals in her pregnancy. While he’s made a lot of stuff under his pseudonym Akufen like My Way, Blu TribunL and even Fabric 17 touching the genres of minimal techno and microhouse , this album is a lot more minimal, sleep-inducing, beautifully layered and ambient when compared to those albums. To me, to express pregnancy through an ambient album where one can feel relaxed and also feel like they're watching their journey and events that happen through this, is very fitting to the overall mood of the album. Each song represents a day in the life during pregnancy with titles such as “1er jour”, “33e jour” and leading all the way up till “236e jour”, which is roughly around 8 months. As I listen to the album I visualize Marc Leclair and his wife anticipating the arrival of the baby, telling their friends about it, going through the pains of pregnancy, reminiscing about how their lives will turn out because of a child etc. You won’t hear a lot of micro-sampling or techno/house sounding songs on this album; just pure euphoric ambient/glitch music as you experience this magnum opus of an album.

First of all, I don’t necessarily judge an album by its cover, but that is a beautiful album cover and it predicts what the album might sound like. A lonely basketball net in the middle of the sea showcases a relaxing and alienated nature unlike his other work. Another thing about this album is that every song flows into each other portraying each mood as different stages of birth come into place. From the get go of the album we’re introduced to the first song “1er Jour”, in which Marc Leclair is also accompanied by another musician by the name of Rechenzentrum, and just as I suspected from the album cover, it is exactly how it looks. A reverberated and airy synthesizer hums beautifully sounding minor notes as the whole song descends into a relaxing glitch ambient soundscape as we realize that the child is just discovered inside of the mother’s womb and they’re now anticipating a happy future. Electronic beats come into the picture and, yes they’re very micro-sounding, with very high frequency glitch beats. Having that aspect of the album makes the album less fluid than it is and it adds a more stiff and robotic feel to contrast the overwhelming relaxing feeling of the song. The song goes on like this for 8 and a half minutes and it’s safe to say that the next two tracks on the album are very melancholic. Starting at where “1er jour” ending off “33e Jour” and “64e Jour” portray a lot of emotion as we enter a different mood. The feeling of these two songs gives us the impression that this is a tough time for Marc Leclair and his wife as she seems depressed as she learns what the responsibilities of being a mother will be like (of course I’m just making this up, but the music gives you that sort of feeling). These two songs feature these odd washy rhythms, not necessarily beats but they’re backed up by a very melancholic sounding synth pad and it sounds beautiful. Once these 14 minutes are over you wish you could still hear them, but the album moves right along to the next stage.

“85e Jour” is a pure ambient song that loses its stiffness, but keeps the glitchy nature of the previous tracks. Melodies cut in and out and they’re backed up by the sound of rain in a thunderstorm showing that the mother is getting more acquainted with the child and is starting to relax. It is a beautiful sounding song and it shows a lot of calming emotion. As we hear the last sound of thunder we lead into the next two songs where we hear a glitched out guitar. We’re brought back to the feelings that the first song gave us with the less fluid sounds and robotic feeling and as “114e Jour” lead into “150e Jour” we experience more of a happier side of the album where the glitched out guitars and beats portray a happier mood in Marc Leclairs life. We see that Marc Leclair has a sophisticated way of dealing with this now and the sound on “150e Jour” can be compared to, more or less, a more glitch version of flamenco music. This is a beautiful way to change the entire mood of the album as it shows that he has a lot of diversity in his music and just how talented of an electronic musician he is.

With saying this, the next song “180e Jour” is a bit of a stretch from the 18 minutes of guitar induced glitch that followed. We’re introduced to a bunch of sounds that have a lot of effects, but there aren’t really any notes that cover them. It mainly sounds like dark ambient/drone. As the song progresses, however, it turns into the most minimal/micro song and least fluid song on the entire album. With calm, but extremely “micro” sounding beats that jump around all over the place that cover up a beautiful calm sounding synth pad. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what kind of mood he and his wife are into at this point after 180 days. The song is very robotic and stiff, but it leaves you wondering. Now, unlike the rest of the album, this song ends abruptly and moves onto “205e Jour” where it sounds like jazz or lounge music right off the get go. This song is wonderfully relaxing and now you get the mood that their almost ready to have the baby and they seem very happy as Marc Leclair edges back to his Akufen ego on the last song on the album “236e Jour” where the glitch/ambient sounds that were in his previous songs are suddenly gone and replaced with a beautiful, calming minimal techno song as he realizes that he now has a full family and can now return back to what he once was.

This album has a way of getting into your head and staying there for a long time. It is a smorgasbord of diverse, intricately layered and beautiful electronic glitch music. The production on this album is very nice and clean and some people may think that it has a few discrepancies with different sounds, instruments, beats and not to mention a few ear-piercing moments, but he couldn’t possibly have made this album any better. With everything sounding balanced and having different beats sound individual from one another. Some rhythms resonate in one speaker/headphone and others resonate in the other. Every song is like a new breath of fresh air as it delivers a series of different voices of his wife and new family. This is personally one of my favorite albums of all time as it really makes you think, not to mention that it is ultra-relaxing. Again this is another one of those albums that requires you to listen to it multiple times. While his work as Akufen is pretty good with a great overall “microhouse” sound, it doesn’t compare to the epic masterpiece he has presented us with on this.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsTroum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)
Fennel Resuming the TrailRoots of the Sea Sky Without a Sun
Carbon Based Lifeforms TwentythreeAlio Die Deconsecrated and Pure

August 20th 2012

Let me know, politely, if you guys see any mistakes and I'll change it up asap. Also, I'm not that
good with summaries. Is it a decent summary?

236e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knpvyh_4dc0
114e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iumhgpd_8SM&feature=related
150e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXrx04S2TEE&feature=related
33e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jqDdaxpMI&feature=related
64e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dFsa72XjA&feature=related

GiaNXGX
August 20th 2012

The summary is pretty good, I'm halfway through the review and it is great; Pos'd :]

StagnantWords
August 20th 2012

This is strange. I dont have a very good taste for electronic music, but marc laclair is the name of my uncle, so i might try this

SgtPepper
August 20th 2012

I'll check this out. Review was pretty good as well, man. POS'd.

August 20th 2012

cool hell yeah bro pos'd

you're one cool dude and the fact that you're writing is badass

gonna check hard

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

August 20th 2012

Sweet, always a good feeling to spread the glitch

August 20th 2012

It's jumps around to a lot of things, but it is very heavily ambient and glitch based. Regardless, you
should check it out!

20515 Comments

I dunno, pregnant women seriously freak me out

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

August 20th 2012

Uh... not sure how picky you are about your ambient, but there are a lot of really "tiny" (micro)
beats around them so you'll probably like it, if not then that's totally fine.

20515 Comments

what the fuck dude. think about the things you say.

whatsup ur panties silentpotato what can i do for you

August 20th 2012

Here are a few links to the songs:

236e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knpvyh_4dc0
114e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iumhgpd_8SM&feature=related
150e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXrx04S2TEE&feature=related
33e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jqDdaxpMI&feature=related
64e Jour - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dFsa72XjA&feature=related

20515 Comments

but this does sound interesting
I'll probably give it a listen after I'm done gorging on The Seer

20515 Comments

again, think about the things that you say. don't be an idiot.

yes of course i'm very sorry sir i'll do better next time i promise

August 20th 2012

the only boring ambient albums I know of are the Bvdub albums

StrangerofSorts
August 20th 2012

when compared to those album.

Few typos, a little clunkiness, but hell I love it. Spread the glitch, indeed

Yotimi
August 20th 2012

this is pretty good but doesn't do enough to separate itself from the pack for me. Might be a grower though i guess (i've given it 3 tries though)

August 20th 2012

@StrangerofSorts thanks man. I'll proofread that now.

@Yotimi It's all good. I don't expect everyone to love it. This is just my opinion.

All proofread :]

urnamz2longfixit
August 20th 2012

'A lonely basketball net in the middle of the sea showcases a relaxing and alienated nature'

Really liked that line. Anyway, really enjoyed reading your review. I'm feeling the same sense of urgency from you that I feel whenever I try to recommend Funeral to everyone and that, combined with your gripping use of the language, has convinced me to give this thing a shot. Cheers.

Deviant.
August 20th 2012

Album are artist are both pretty boring, but nice work on the review dude

But also: