Evoken
Atra Mors

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
August 16th, 2012 | 82 replies | 7,407 views

Review Summary: A maturing funeral doom metal band sits at the height of its accomplishments.

Funeral doom metal is a rather interesting movement. Its characteristics often follow that of a slow paced journey through a conveyance of emotion as its focal point. Whether the conveyance is effective or not depends on the artists/bands abilities and Evoken are doing a great job of creating music that is captivating and powerful. With any funeral doom act, due to typical lengthy songs, a great deal of attention is needed to absorb its elements; as well as many listens. “Atra Mors” is Evoken’s fifth studio album that shows a greater level of focus and dissemination. Some of their earlier material showed powerful compositions that were sometimes awe-inspiring but with “Atra Mors” we have more of a welcoming feel that seems to pull the listener in before dense displays of musicianship.

Most of the songs here are much more easygoing than their previous work; easygoing in an un-forceful way. When you look at the second track “Descent Into Chaotic Dream” you can’t help but notice the song is just as effective as any other song they’ve done before, but here the approach is very different. The first seven minutes of this eleven minute track make use of various harmonizing textures that seamlessly intertwine. The keyboards of Don Zaros and the guitar work of Nick Orlando and John Paradiso fit so well together that sometimes you may find yourself forgetting there are keyboards in this band. Clearly, Evoken’s maturity as a funeral doom metal band are manifested in the understanding that emotions can be achieved in a variety of different ways as long as proper attention is given to feel rather than display.

Evoken can still be found using their typical tried and proven formula of dynamic shifts; the types that start slow, then builds up with double bass drum attacks, then backs down to slow nothingness until all layers have been peeled away as found in the intro title track. But with “Atra Mors” many of the tracks fit cohesively well into each other where each track seems to take the emotional “torch” in a successive journey like that of a relay runner who passes the baton. A successful link that binds the second and fourth track is the instrumental “A Tenebrous Vision” which is basically a classical track which takes advantage of the already reverb filled atmosphere the album shows throughout. While basic in composition, this bridge track couldn’t have been placed any better amongst this lengthy over-hours length of funeral doom. And again, we have towards the latter half of “Atra Mors” an instrumental that links the rest of the album together; a blend of synth violins and guitar strums. These two instrumentals, although short, fit very well into the album and only add to its flow rather than feeling like filler.

“Grim Elquence” may be one of the strongest tracks off “AM” which seems to be the most articulate. Here a substantial amount of elements are used, ranging from mid paced tempos and even a solo which breaks successfully away from harmonized leads. This track reeks of originality and really shows a lot more of Evoken’s potential as leading to what they may do in the future. Even with this track as a standout it never over shines anything else “AM” has to offer. Rather, as mentioned before, its level of creativity only makes every other track all the more special and powerful, as “AM” is likened more to a single body rather than separates trying to coexist.

The lyrical themes of death and futility fit extremely well amongst the grimy-putrid atmosphere herein. The typical low registered growls of John Paradiso are just as strong as ever and he jumps out of monotony of various tracks where he can be heard hitting higher levels such as the ones found on the powerful closer “Into Aphotic Devastation”. Although sometimes incomprehensible due to the genres nature, lyrics such as “worlds shall never go unscathed within, its fabric of unrelenting punishment” and “it is not the sick verse of immortality, but the conflict of belief” are perfect compliments to the weighty nature of “Atra Mors” musical delivery. And although sometimes incomprehensible, Paradiso’s vocals are usually used as a crusty instrumental addition to heighten the pounding guitar’s distortion and perfectly executed drums for this style of music; a noteworthy factor that lends to the flow of this lengthy, yet solid release.

Although “Atra Mors” is not necessarily a groundbreaking album, it is an extremely solid release for 2012 and any lover or seeker of funeral doom metal should find many elements to enjoy here. With such a solid discography of albums, it is no wonder Evoken are one of the leading acts in a genre that is usually/frequently hit or miss.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence
kvltwalter (4)
Evoken puts the "funeral" in "funeral-doom" with their latest soundtrack to your death....

Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (4)
A switch in Evoken’s line up hasn’t really changed too much and after a five year wait Altra Mor...

Solid 2012 release.

If you're a fan of funeral doom metal then you have to check this out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOuhnwXNsE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPWFdreWCK4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTYHcWKXN1M

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

ZedO
August 16th 2012

Hm Evoken new album, must check it. Good job bro, pos!

YankeeDudel

riff cmon bro cmon you're killin me bro YOU'RE KILLIN ME

Digging: Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas

YankeeDudel

ur a madman!!!

August 16th 2012

I found a few grammar errors which I've corrected.

August 16th 2012

"Hm Evoken new album, must check it. Good job bro, pos!"

thanks bro, not sure if you've heard of them before but if you are accustomed to funeral doom metal than check this hard

August 16th 2012

Quick question: why do you italicize the band name and put the album name in quotes? Industry standard is to italicize album names and put song names in quotes and do nothing with band names. Also there is a coding error first word second paragraph.

Really enjoyed this record, as I have with most things by this band.

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Dreamflight

"this band isnt good"

Bahh, there are way worse bands in this genre. :P

Nice review man, but that 1st paragraph is long as fuck. Album is great.

August 16th 2012

@ Crysis - you're prolly right, I've recently just started using coding so thanks for clarifying, I wanna keep my reviews as clean as possible so if you feel that's the best way to do it I'll have to use that formula on future rev's. Coding error fix'd, funny I missed that after my proofread.

Yea album is solid. My favorite from them. Also I have a quick question for you too: are you rev'ing the new Katatonia? Album is legit.

ZedO
August 16th 2012

"not sure if you've heard of them before.."

my good pal is evoken die hard fan, so I'm pretty familiar with this band but I've never really dug them closely...

August 16th 2012

are you rev'ing the new Katatonia?

As of right now no, I don't have it dibbed, and I don't think I'll have time to review it because I
have other dibs plus I start work on Monday. Too bad because I like the album.

VisionsFromTheDarkSide
August 16th 2012

Good review bro, album art is interesting

Digging: Noah Gundersen - Ledges

greg84
August 16th 2012

Great review man. Have a pos. I might give it a spin soon.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

Dreamflight
August 16th 2012

"@ Dreamflight - Thanks, I can create a new paragraph after the sentence ending in "musicianship", what do you think."

Absolutely man. I mean in the end it's just layout, but it reads better with another paragraph, I think.

August 16th 2012

@ Zed - cool maybe you'll dig this, I feel it's their best so maybe it'll be more appealing to you

@ Crysis - Cool, I saw you 4'd it which I totally agree. One of their best in a long time. Oh yea I remember you mentioned that, good luck bro, hope everything works out for you.

@ Visions - thanks, I love the album art, it fits the lyrical content and atmosphere very well.

August 16th 2012

@ Greg - thanks bro, hope you dig if you get around to it. I've never thought of you as someone who would dig funeral doom metal but I've only seen your taste range for a relatively short period of time. Regardless, cool to see you might be open to it.

@ Dream - updated

SgtPepper
August 16th 2012

Yeah, great review. I'll look into these guys, I enjoy some good Doom.

August 16th 2012

Thanks Paper, this album was a little more challenging to write about but I tried to point out the high points that I experienced since each persons own take and experience on it could be quite different. Regardless, it's really tasty and I know Atra Mors, greenfriend, and I will be sharing many nights together.

Also Papar you have to hear the new Katatonia album. It's really really good.

Hyperion1001