Slayer
Seasons in the Abyss

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
August 14th, 2012 | 22 replies | 1,475 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Two songs away from perfection

Following the controversial release's of South Of Heaven and Reign In Blood, Slayer had a reputation to maintain but also a goal. They had to combine the infamous speed of the latter with the slow tempo heaviness of the former to create a truly special album. The result, of course, was Seasons In The Abyss, an album that has a nice ratio of slower numbers to neckbreaking thrashers.

Kicking things off is fan favourite War Ensemble. This is one of the most highly revered Slayer tracks, and with good reason. It brings back memories of Angel Of Death from 1986's Reign In Blood, in that it starts off with bonebreaking speed, before slowing down a little in the middle, and then exploding again. Which of the two songs is better is a debate not for mortal men, however, i will say that the faster sections of this song are a lot tighter than those of Angel Of Death. This is a great opener.

What follows are three mid paced songs, Blood Red, Spirit In Black and Expendable Youth, each of which are decent listens, before we go into another of Slayer's more popular numbers. Dead Skin Mask is a very slow, haunting song, with disturbing lyrics, a creepy guitar riff to it, and some chilling vocals from Tom Araya. However, what makes this song as good as it is is the scary little girl voice added in towards the end. This song really is not for the faint hearted.

Hallowed Point is probably the fastest number on here, and one of the faster tracks that Slayer have ever put out. The lyrics are graphic about gun crime, the drumming speedy, the riffing intense. The vocals spew hate, and this song is quite possible one of the best songs the band has ever put out. It is extremely aggressive, and it does not bore, as it only lasts 3 and a half minutes, making it one of the shorter tracks on display here.

The next two tracks are the weakest tracks here. Skeletons Of Society is one of the slowest songs the band has ever put out, but is also one of the most boring ones. The chorus is fun to sing along to, but that is all that this song really has going for it. Temptation is a speedier song, but it features silly dual vocals that ruin the song for me. It is not completely unlistenable, but when compared to the rest of the album, it really is poor.

However, the last two tracks more than make up for this. Born Of Fire is one of the faster tracks, and a return to the Satan-obsessed lyrics of Slayer's earlier material. However, it is the final track, the title track, that is the best to be found here. It starts extremely slowly, but not boring slow like Skeletons Of Society. It then continues to build up before settling into a nice pacing, with one of the finest vocal performances Tom Araya has ever put in. If this song does not send a chill up your spine, you must already have died.

The one thing about this album that is slightly offputting for me is the production. The cymbals always clatter too much, which really does my head in, and they are far too loud in the mix. The guitar tones can be a little weak and stale. The only thing that is constantly produced well is Tom Araya's vocals, which are perfectly mixed, and contain that raw edge to them that he would lose on later releases.

Overall, this is one of Slayer's better releases, settling into a nice mix between the speedy thrashers and the slower numbers. Take off Skeletons Of Society and Temptation, and this would possibly be there finest work. The title track, Hallowed Point, War Ensemble and Dead Skin Mask give this song an edge over many of their albums, and they are some of the best the band has ever put out.

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
user ratings (2086)
4.2

August 14th 2012

the mid paced songs ruin it yea thrash or fuck off

August 14th 2012

Personally I never really cared much for the fast tracks on any Slayer album. They all blur into the
same territory. Reign In Blood is like a snorefest. Dead Skin Mask and Seasons In the Abyss are great
though. Probably because, you know, you can actually tell them apart.

R6Rider

bro......

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - How Hate is Hard to Define

SgtPepper
August 14th 2012

I actually like the faster more thrashier songs of Slayer's earlier albums before this. But this one is good too, though the albums before it are much better in my opinion.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

August 14th 2012

yowassup yea you are a puss

August 14th 2012

I didn't realize that the only way to not be a puss was to jizz at every entry level thrash band ever. brb, kissing Mustaine's ass next so that I will gain acceptance.

August 14th 2012

you are a puss because you prefer the slwoer songs that means you arent thrash which makes you a homo

August 14th 2012

Bro, you're the one getting angry at someone's music taste. You know, I think that's a lot more gay than liking songs that don't make me fall asleep.

August 14th 2012

Also, "not being Thrash" is a REALLY, REALLY good thing. I thank god I don't have greasy hair and get
worship fossil metal in 2k12.

Srs doe, no offense to chill metal fans, you guys can like w/e you want, haha.

August 14th 2012

Decent review, you need to improve your spacing though, the review's structure just look bad.
Also, what do you mean by infamous? South Of Heaven is great and it is very loved.

Btw: You messed up 'their' in the last para.

War Ensamble is nothing like Angel Of Death

August 14th 2012

As I understand it, South of Heaven was hated when it came out for being pussy music by metal nerds. Just see the dude here getting pissed off that I like the slower songs. That's how come SoH is a "controversial" album.

Of course, as time goes by, even hated albums and bands become revered. It's already happening with bands like Blink-182 becoming "influential pioneers" among young kids when nobody with "tr00 punk cred" took the band seriously. That's why reviewing music is p lulzy, it's all subjective.

August 14th 2012

wow both of you are faggots when youve heard razor cum back to me

August 14th 2012

Im pretty sure South Of Heaven wasnt hated when it came out, and this guy here rated it as 4 so I bet he does actually like it.

And fix the damn 'their' it bugs me like hell.

August 14th 2012

Is it a coincidence that he said "cum back to me?" I don't think so!

razors better agreed