The Devil Wears Prada
Dead Throne

by averyheath USER (1 Reviews)
August 14th, 2012 | 34 replies | 2,141 views

Review Summary: All in all, this album is the best TDWP album to date. They have worked and progressed and showed what they're made of. Of course there are going to be some things people dislike on the album such as I did, but this album is killer. Download it, buy it, w

Despite every bands background, The Devil Wears Prada have seemed to drop their typical Rise-core past and spring into a new beginning. Their songs went from a "Joey Sturgis" structure to a TDWP structure. Adam Dutkiewicz took Dead Throne and gave each song its own unique identity. After one listen, one can truly say that each song has its own identity and feel to it. I am going to give this album a 4/5 simply because TDWP progressed tremendously. From "With Roots Above and Branches Below" to this, they took one giant leap forward for the better.

The album starts out with a dark, heavy-hitter title track. James Baney and Daniel Williams created a mean sounding intro that really shows their progression with synth. "What you hold dear is a false account" is basically describing the whole albums purpose of "Anti-Idolatry." The song transitions right into another heavy-hitter, Untidaled. This song es ques far from the generic "Metalcore" mess and gives birth to a new metalcore. Chris Rubey did an excellent job with the melodic guitar parts in this song too. The next song Mammoth is one of the slower songs on the album, but it's one of the more darker songs. The song seems to transition from different beats and rhythms throughout the whole thing. The song is good, but it could have been structured a little better. Vengeance and R.I.T. simply kill it. Both songs are fast-paced and are right in your face. My Questions gives the listener a little break and allows Jeremy Depoyster and Chris Rubey to show their true talents together. Kansas is one of the stand out tracks on the album. This track truly shows how much TDWP has progressed with their musicality. It almost is a "beautiful" track. Next up is the first single, Born To Lose. I would have liked to have had a slower song in place so the Kansas transition wasn't so crazy. It almost feels as if their should've been another song in-between Kansas & Born To Lose similar to Kansas, but had vocals. Forever Decay and Chicago show frontman Mike Hranica's lyrics at their strong-point. "I do it for the lord, I do it for Chicago" and " She fell in love with the city, and since then I don't mean anything" shows how much emotion was put into this record. Right back around is Constance, another heavy-hitter. This song is packed full of good riffs and good quality singing. This track is my favorite simply because it's so catchy and it's just fun to listen to. Pretenders is the darkest song on the album and is almost scary. The dropped tuned guitars and evil synth makes me want to immediately skip this track. On a lighter note, the vocals and lyrics for this song were superb. The final track, Holdfast, simply wraps it up and kicks it home. Chris Rubey wanted a catchy song for the end and he got one. Chanting "We will not be forgotten!" at the end of the song is a great way to end this album.