Gaza
No Absolutes in Human Suffering

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
August 11th, 2012 | 527 replies | 38,942 views

Review Summary: Gaza perfect the many sides of their sound to create the best work of their careers.

It isn’t too often that we see the emphasis of a band’s ideals take precedence over its music, but that has always seemed to be the case with Gaza. With painfully blunt album titles such as I Don’t Care Where I Go When I Die and He Is Never Coming Back, it is easy to see the why so much attention is spent on Gaza’s controversial views on religion and politics. But beneath the glossy anarchistic/atheistic veneer is a band whose musical prowess far outclasses its hefty subject matter.

No Absolutes in Human Suffering is a continuation of the tried and true Gaza sound, with some notable changes in regards to songwriting. Much of the monotony found on their previous records has been addressed, which makes the album a much more interesting listen throughout. They still play a balancing act with their grind, death-metal, and sludge influences, something that has always been one of the band’s stronger suits. This time around, however, things are markedly improved with how well these various sounds are handled. It’s a much more cohesive record in general, as the multi-faceted band settles in a sweet spot, finding what can truly be described as their own “sound.” Every minute is full of dense cacophony; a murky and chaotic riff filled excursion with a heavy emphasis on tempo experimentation. Luckily, Gaza pull it off remarkably well.

The album opens up with “Mostly Hair and Bones Now,” featuring a mild but ominous beginning that does not prepare the listener for what is actually rather generic “explosive intro.” From there, Gaza begin to barrage the listener with their fierce delivery. There are sparse moments throughout in which one can catch their breath, as the 44 minute run-time is filled with snarling vocals and pounding percussion. The only true failing of the album comes in the form of the title track, which plods at a painful pace. With a thoroughly bland guitar driving the piece, the album’s title is slowly bellowed for about three minutes until the song just sort of ends. It offers up a different pace, and is easily the densest and bleakest song on the record, but it fails to capture the energy and excitement of the rest of the tracks.

Unsurprisingly, Gaza have once again dropped a supremely dark and engaging record that is as thoughtful as it is heavy. However, the band is still able to surprise, with No Absolutes in Human Suffering feeling like their most complete and accomplished record to date. It still has that Gaza flair, but underneath the band has fine-tuned their delivery to make their finest outing to date.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas

Xenophanes
August 11th 2012

It sure was nice of Jesus to take time away from ignoring
Ethnic cleansing genocide and famine bloated children.
Or regrowing limbs for landmine victims
To help you score that touchdown
To help you find your keys
To help you land that promotion.

I so badly wanted this in there because lol

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

chambered49
August 11th 2012

very cool nice review man

GhettoHmbrglr

album owns

Photon
August 11th 2012

nice review, Gaza are a really good band. will check this out soon

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

August 11th 2012

Still haven't even listened to this. I'm so far behind.

LifeAsAChipmunk

stream anywhere?

astrel

ZedO
August 11th 2012

new gaza album, will check

Sirob
August 11th 2012

i cant fucking wait to listen to this

vauxrock

absolutely fabolous

Recspecs

Fuck

August 11th 2012

acacia strain next album will be all like god sucks ooooooooo if I believed in god oooooooooo dead people oooooooooooo

Nikkolae
August 11th 2012

"I think at this point we can safely say being openly atheist in music isn't really a controversial view anymore. Awesome review anyways."

in extreme metal maybe, but in music as general, nope, its still sorta controversial.

Digging: Corrupted - Paso Inferior

No it's not.

ffs
August 11th 2012

atheism and anti-theism are not the same thing fyi

havent listened to this band for ages, suppose ill check this out for old times sake

Aids
August 11th 2012

good review, gotta check this (even though I didn't think He Is Never Coming Back was all it was cracked up to be).

but check your there/their/they're in the first comment man we wouldn't want people thinking the staff on this site are incompetent or something.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Comatorium.
August 11th 2012

Am I the only one who thinks Gaza is just sorta... noise? I mean, it's mean, evil, scary noise and I listen to them occasionally, but I can't say I'm a huge fan.

August 11th 2012

I'll give it a couple more listens

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

alachlahol

this band sucks

alachlahol
August 11th 2012

nice review eli but you cant sway me with your words