Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
Antibalas

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
August 9th, 2012 | 36 replies

Review Summary: A funky Jazz Fusion album with some African influenced aesthetics for seasoning.

Antibalas is a very exuberant performance, and one that exhibits a wide variety of influences. Most of the compositions emphasize on an agile rhythmic groove that exudes an irresistible dancing allure, but there are also several occasions were we find the musicians dwelling into elaborate improvisatory moments of Jazz-influenced soloistic musicianship. The album opens with "Dirty Money", and the music begins to flow on a funk influenced melodic framework established by the piano and guitar sections. As the music ensues, the wind instruments begin to flourish as they decorate the melodic theme with eruptive solos so as to direct the song into a more free-form Jazz environment.

The musicianship is absolutely impressive throughout the entirety of the album. We can really see Antibalas expanding on the growing enthusiasm its predecessors had on Afrobeat and World music. Though these influences are present throughout the album, "Him Belly No Go Sweet" and "Ìbéjì" are perhaps the most eminent moments in the album when Antibalas transcend beyond Jazz and embrace the habitual sounds of a variety of cultures. Blending African singing, tribalistic percussions, and the harmonic sensuality of salsa into an ineffable elixir of enticing rhythmic medleys.

Songs like "The Ratcatcher" and "Ari Degbe", on the other hand, show Antibalas returning to a more traditional Jazz routine. Martin Perna and Stuart Bogie assert dominance over the other instruments with their respective baritone and tenor saxophones. Each taking their turn to release a series of intensive solos that innovate the rhythmic framework as they pioneer into their own melodies. Antibalas is a highly entertaining and artistically impressive Fusion release. The album doesn't necessarily explore any new styles that haven't already been covered by early defining Fusion contemporaries like The Weather Report and Herbie Hancock, or renowned Afrobeat artist, Fela Kuti, but it does provide one fascinating performance that will be sure too keep any Jazz enthusiast hooked for days.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket

August 9th 2012

I've never been too big on "World Fusion" but this was one really good album. Review is a little shorter than expected.

Bloodbirds
August 9th 2012

Sounds good. I'll be checking this out.

Thanks Bloodbirds.

@Silent
I forgot about these guys and saw them on the new releases list, I had to review it. I'm also reviewing the Niechec probably tomorrow night if you're interested.

good stuff man, pos!

Thanks, Zed.

And Thanks, Silent. Yeah you have a really great taste and know a lot of great but overlooked albums. If there are ever any albums you want me to review dont hesitate to ask.

enjoy Norway fusion hero; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kXykovXu8

August 9th 2012

I'll check it out. Damn Zed, it's great to see you Jazzing it up. I'm still hooked on Tohpati Ethnomission, I've been listening to their youtube jams a lot lately.

August 9th 2012

Yeah glad that you like Ethnomission, I'm digging Rypdal's Odissey because a friend of mine said Tohpati is a bit reminiscent of Terje Rypdal...

AllGabrielsAreGlass
August 9th 2012

I've been absent for a while but a massive congrats on finally getting contibuter status Paperback, always thought you deserved it.

Maniac!
August 9th 2012

You're a machine, dude. Keep it up

August 9th 2012

Good review bro, hopefully we'll get some more solid music on featured on the front page, Jazz is so overlooked on this site it's sad. Pos.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

August 9th 2012

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Captain
Yeah Jazz is a bit overlooked, but not too many people are into it here so I can see why its somewhat ignored. One of my goals in sputnik is to do for Jazz/Jazz Fusion what Deviant. has done for Electronica.

August 9th 2012

That's an awesome goal bro and I support you 110%.

August 9th 2012

yeah but it's hard to find decent modern jazz

August 9th 2012

that said i'm not liking this much. sounds like a fela kuti ripoff band

August 9th 2012

yeah but they could do something with it. like add black metal or something

yeah or maybe deathcore

August 9th 2012

yo if you want to hear interesting afrobeat fusion check out the Shaolin Afronauts. also, paperback, i wouldn't call this fusion

probably the new one

fusion

Ive never heard of them, I'll check them out. And I have to disagree Sobhi, this album, as well as their others, I would say fall
into the "Fusion" category. The music is really reminiscent of the 1970's Jazz-Funk trend. With its usage of guitars and
keyboards that tend to drive the groove, and the traditional wind instruments kind of lead the solos and augment the rhythm.

Their albums always dwell into Afrobeat and World music, but id say its definitely Fusion influenced.