Stagnant Pools
Temporary Room

good

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
August 8th, 2012 | 20 replies

Review Summary: An impressive debut, but not without its flaws.

There is a hypnotic effect that exudes from the music of Temporary Room. Each song ornaments itself with a dissonant wall of sound, and though Stagnant Pools favour a profound thickness in their guitar sound, their music still radiates a melodic atmosphere. The album opens with "Illusions", and it pretty much summarizes the musical approach of the entire album. Repetitive drum beats, guitar arrangements that are drenched in harmonic dissonance, and these two instrumental components coincide together to reflect a dolorous ambience for Bryan Enas' dreary and monotonous voice. Emanating a similar melancholic tone to that of Joy Division's Ian Curtis. And that's practically all this album has to offer.

Temporary Room relies on instrumental repetition in each song to develop a sense of musical hypnotism during the listening experience, and it certainly succeeds in doing so. "Solitude" and "Consistency" surround us in a fog of droning soundscapes, with a sensual melody existing underneath all the layers of discordant guitars. The music even manages to exude an almost alleviating dream-like environment in its own chaotic way. But every song tends to follow this exact same formula over and over again, and the album loses its trancing effect and just becomes laborious to listen to. It's almost difficult to distinguish one song from another in this album because they are all orchestrated with an identical structure and aesthetic. Each individual composition is driven by an insistance on harmonic minimalism, displaying hardly any structural alterations within their sound. There are moments, like in "Frozen", when the rhythmic pace alternates and the music evolves from mellow to aggressive, but most of the time each song tends to follow a singular melodic sequence throughout its entirety. Bryan Enas doesn't even try to refine his singing style with any sort of variation, relying solely in a monotonous tone that seems incapable of expressing any kind of emotion but apathy, no matter what topic his lyrics discuss.

Stagnant Pools' Temporary Room certainly has its share of deficiencies, but it does prove to be one entertaining effort. Each song has its own enticing allure if listened to individually, but flowing through the album in one sitting will inevitably make all of the songs sound identical and make the listening experience too arduous for one's enthusiasm. Every debut has its flaws, and as a musician all you can really do is learn from these faults and renovate your sound for a more compelling sequel. Stagnant Pools' attempt at an atmospheric noise-rock sound certainly has a lot of promise, but as of right now, the reiterating nature of their style keeps the album from being more accesible.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
2.9
good

Geist

YoYoMancuso

great review, pos'd

August 8th 2012

Really good debut contributor review man, you definitely got your's out quicker than I got mine out lol. It's also been awhile since you've given a rating this low, but once again, really short and sweet review. Pos'd.

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

Thanks guys.

and yeah Alex. I'm trying to diversify my ratings because I often write positive reviews, I have to try and approve my objectivity score.

August 8th 2012

Dude I don't blame you at all for writing mostly positive reviews, I had a pretty consistent stream of
reviews of albums I rated 4's and 4.5's, it's much more fun to write about something you love than
something you don't care too much for, so I get what you mean completely. Also, that's how the
objectivity score works? I had no idea lol.

August 8th 2012

it's much more fun to write about something you love than
something you don't care too much for, so I get what you mean completely.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I always write better for the albums i like or genres that I enjoy. But ive been trying to branch out especially now that I've gotten promoted.

August 8th 2012

Same, now that I'm promoted I really want to get on a more regular reviewing basis, I've been hating myself for not putting anything out for like a week. Btw, I noticed this review just got featured in the Alt/Indie section so congrats on that. Actually I wanted to ask you, do you know if now that we're contributors our reviews automatically get featured at the top of the albums genre section? I only ask because my last two reviews got featured seconds after I posted them.

August 8th 2012

You've kept a pretty consistant style since you began. Every time a new major album was released, you always had your
own review of it present. And a well-written one at that. We didnt hear from you for a while after you got promoted, but you've
gotten pretty consistent since then.

I dont think we get an automatic feature, but if its the review is on a recently released album and uploaded at around the
same time of the release date then it has a better chance of getting featured.

August 8th 2012

Thanks for the kind words dude. I guess I just have this unquenchable thrist for reviewing anything haha. Still, I don't feel like I'm as good a writer as you or some of the other contributors. I think I really need to work on improving on my abilities more, especially now that I'm suddenly a contributor.

August 8th 2012

I guess I just have this unquenchable thrist for reviewing anything haha

That's the attitude that makes you a better writer. But you've got a great style, if you didnt you wouldnt have gotten picked in the first place. I still have a lot of growth to accomplish myself, but I guess as writers were always looking to improve and never satisfied with were we're at.

August 8th 2012

Exactly Hern (can I call you Hern? lol).

Haha, sure.

August 8th 2012

Sup bro, pos. not sure if you got message but congrats and good job on the review here. Maybe not my cup 'o tea but I may check it anyways

August 8th 2012

Yeah I got it. Thanks, man.

ZedO

good review mate, pos.

Xenophanes

Very nice buddy, I'm sure you'll do awesome things with your new tag : D

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

porch
August 8th 2012

I have to try and approve my objectivity score.

a worthwhile goal

Maniac!

OHSHIT YOU GOT PROMOTED

Congrats dude

objectivity be damned!

good review dude. i should really get one of my own out now, because i'm pretty sure i'm the last of the new promotions to post a review.

August 8th 2012

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@Gyro
Thanks. And yeah, i'd love to read something from you soon.

Anthracks
May 18th 2013

this album is pretty super great i usually dont like this genre(s)

i also find this to be highly melodic and not at all cacophonous

Digging: The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World