The Gaslamp Killer

good

by Jacob R. STAFF
August 7th, 2012 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Zigzag, zigzag.

It’s hard to put into words exactly what I Spit In Your Grave is, because the album’s so vivid that images come to me instead. Windows rolled down in San Francisco. The summer air beating down on lovers that are simultaneously growing together and apart. An addiction taking hold on a new victim, beguiling him only to beat him into submission. The urban landscape presenting opportunity, but also betraying hope while nobody’s looking.

The Gaslamp Killer’s 2008 mixtape offers a little something for everyone, at some point at least. It begins comfortably enough, bearing easygoing funk as if it’s the most natural thing to do. I Spit On Your Grave doesn’t take long to descend into chaos, though, and alongside this shift is an impalpable darkness that takes root, spreading more and more with each passing minute. What starts off as a straightforward trip-hop mixtape evolves into something much more sinister, vicious synth-led beats that belong in a dim dancehall. The album never loses its focus, just distorts it over and over again, changing course repeatedly until it’s easy enough to forget where we began in the first place.

All in all, I Spit On Your Grave is an album that isn’t ever as important as in the moment it’s being played. Aside from the occasional catchy funk riff, it won’t stick with you in the long run. What you will remember, though, is the effect that the music here has - how it has the capacity to flash from almost indifference to mass importance in what seems like no time. I’m not sure that I’m going to listen to I Spit On your Grave again, but I can tell you it’s a journey that I don’t regret embarking upon.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade

Originally posted on http://www.muzikdizcovery.com

This is a (late) addition to WeepingBanana's Random Album contest. I got something tough, but did my best with it.

Check it out here:

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

nice work

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

August 6th 2012

Why thank you! This one was tough to write about

August 6th 2012

I can sympathize with that, after all my assignment was this:

August 6th 2012

in other words, very different from anything I normally listen to

klap
August 6th 2012

i am actually on vacation in the gaslamp district right now in san diego COINCIDENCE???

Digging: Tennis - Ritual In Repeat

SgtPepper

You are on fire today.

I got something tough, but did my best with it.

-Well you did an excellent job, as always. POS'd.

kingsoby1
August 7th 2012

gaslamp killer is the jam

Brostep
August 7th 2012

this guy is the shit live

ZedO
August 7th 2012

I think it's better for this guy to name his album "untitled" too :]

August 7th 2012

Oh god Washboard, that must be a challenge. I believe that was Riff's assignment? :P

Rudy, not a coincidence at all. The tracking device on your ankle is just doing its job, that's all. ;D

And thanks guys, it means a lot.

chitownflip