Expire
Pendulum Swings

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
August 5th, 2012 | 28 replies | 6,904 views

Review Summary: Playing to their strengths, Expire create an album devoid of any real imagination but rampant in catchiness

After showing constant promise with their breakdown-laden style of hardcore in a couple EPs and demos, Milwaukee, Wisconsin four-piece Expire release their debut album Pendulum Swings after being picked up by the flagship label Bridge Nine. Cutting through all the bullshit, the album delivers the goods that Expire promised in their previous music. Pendulum Swings doesn’t beat around the bush with opening track “Just Fine”, fast-spitted vocal delivery akin to Trapped Under Ice and bar-chord guitar work that sacrifices any sense of ingenuity with catchy jams from start to finish. While this very same formula for simplicity and filler-killer would very much choke nearly any other band with redundancy, Expire keep their guns close and well-replenished by keeping every song under two minutes; almost as if the need to keep the listeners attention was one of the primary goals into creating the album.

Pendulum Swings is not inventive nor is it even remarkable in any sense. It’s simply an album that plays to a band’s strength in keeping the activity and catchiness at an all-time high. Essentially playing it safe for their first debut, it’s enough to keep the listener satiated while we look to what Expire can do in the future. Promise might not be blatantly apparent throughout the album but the band has possessed a respectable self-awareness of their strengths and weaknesses. Pendulum Swings is a great culmination of a young band who have shown constant potential and while not breaking any barriers in their freshman album, show more spirit and energy than most similar bands in their genre.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless Depths
Tragedy Darker Days AheadBlack Breath Sentenced To Life

Hep Kat
August 5th 2012

i initially liked this a lot more. it grew off on me a little bit. at first this really impressed me because the production is of much higher quality than their 7"s, but i dunno. just couldn't hold my interest

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

Hep Kat
August 5th 2012

nah theyre definitely legit tough guy hardcore

August 5th 2012

about time this had a review. i'm not usually too into bands like this but this album is so catchy. "pills" rules.

cryMore

so catchy

breakingthefragile
August 6th 2012

Pretty kickass debut contributor review dude. Pos. This reminds me, I seriously gotta get into hardcore more.

Digging: The Blood of Heroes - The Blood Of Heroes

Captain North
August 6th 2012

You rarely review anymore and when you do it's for eh stuff

xstaytrue18x
August 7th 2012

surprised me this album is awesome. heavy, fast, angry has everything you need in a hardcore record.

camaraderie

I dunno about this one.

August 7th 2012

can we take a minute and appreciate the hilarity of the first line of this album?

"Everything is goin fine, going off without a hitch, but soon enough you'll find that life's a FUCKIN BITCH"

lukempls
August 21st 2012

pmmets07, its the next line that always gets me... "how much further can shit go south... BEFORE I WANNA PUT A GUN IN MY MOUTH?"

August 21st 2012

hahah it's so blatant

asaf
November 7th 2012

album's great. awesome meat n potatoes stuff.

November 15th 2012

The beginning of Abyss & Erase the Rat by Backtrack are so similar to me.

Their vocalists are pretty similar to begin with and the way in Abyss he says " How can I love you if I can't love myself?" and in Erase the Rat "Hid from the truth, lied to the youth" they sound so fucking similar, but they're both still pretty awesome.

November 20th 2012

Been digging this a lot lately, not sure if I want to rate it a 3.5 or a 4 :/.

November 21st 2012

it's a 3.74

November 23rd 2012

Honestly, that's a pretty accurate rating.

NonApplicable
January 6th 2013

1951 Comments

This is way to generic to be anything above a 3.5

Still some killer songs though. Bark is my fav!

Digging: Wovenwar - Wovenwar

MuhNamesTyler
February 26th 2013

Didn't like the vocals at all on first listen but they have grown on me a lot

February 27th 2013

There's something about this album that's just kind of perfect for me. Not a single song over two minutes, hahaha.

JackV
August 18th 2013

Like this album but prefer Suburban Scum to them. Expire sound a little....I don't know