Nachtmystium
Silencing Machine

good

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
August 4th, 2012 | 49 replies

Review Summary: Thurston Moore joins Nachtmystium mastermind Blake Judd in more ways than one

It’s been a rather eventful month for sole, permanent member of Nachtmystium, Blake Judd. Besides gaining a new, fellow Twilight member in Thurston Moore, we see the release of what stands to be Judd’s most attention-garnering release yet, Silencing Machine. Nachtmystium’s architect has cited a number of diverse influences in the past, but this stood to be different, he told us-- a more direct release set in the black metal timeline. Similarly, most reactions to the album have hailed it as Nachtmystium’s “return to old school black metal” album, eschewing crediting Judd for a release with more shades than simply black. It’s an easy connection to make, especially considering the obvious cornerstones here.

The opener “Dawn Over The Ruins Of Jerusalem,” complete with a nod to religious disintegration, is Nachtmystium at its most orthodox. It sets the tone for a release enthused with gruff vocals and gritty production (though neither of these ever reach very extreme levels) in a setting where the songs are always heralded back in with hooks and a surprisingly hefty dose of melody. “Decimation, Annihilation” and “Reduced To Ashes” display this perfectly, with keyboards and synth to add flavor to the catchiness. As one-minded as some accuse Silencing Machine to be, it certainly runs the gamut within this cohesive psyche. Look no further than “Borrowed Hopes And Broken Dreams” which is styled more towards the post-punk spectrum, aspects of which incur 80’s post-punk platitudes a la The Cure or Sonic Youth. While these aren’t necessarily attributes that disqualify it from the “orthodox black metal” tag, they do add more, welcome dimensions to Silencing Machine-- without which we would have quite a bland album. Even after this, it’s hard to discern, quality-wise, where Nachtmystium’s latest fits on the spectrum.

The release is one where Judd has very much reigned in any sort of stylistic excess hanging off the last records and the it has a much more cohesive feel because of it. That being said, Silencing Machine is undoubtedly a bit overlong. Highlights like the compelling, 8-minute “The Lepers of Destitution” are furrowed in the background amidst equally-gigantic tracks instead of pushed to the forefront where it belongs. Aspects like this only further the notion that, as solid as this release is (I wouldn’t venture much further than solid in either direction) it’s not one aiming to garner Nachtmystium many new acclaims. This isn’t to say that it’s essentially a safe release, but there’s simply a multitude of black metal being released far more raw and unorthodox than this, and there’s a sect of metal much more accessible and immediate, as well. This is the middle ground. And so, we’re left with Silencing Machine: a nice addition to Nachtmystium’s and Judd’s impressive discographies, but not much more.

Aidan Baker Already DrowningPity Sex Feast of Love
NoMeansNo WrongHuata/Bitcho Split
The Men New MoonGiles Corey Hinterkaifeck

Hyperion1001

19064 Comments

i have this gonna give it a listen soon

that track that was streamed a while ago was cool so

Digging: Objekt - Objekt #2

MO

19077 Comments

yea I didn't find this too great

Rikardur
August 4th 2012

I don't know, I quite enjoyed this and regard it higher than I do most of this band's other stuff. My only complaint is the length of this album and that some songs don't throw in enough to save it from being occasionally stale.

auberginedreams

i liked this a lot.

Digging: DIR EN GREY - Arche

Tyrael

20971 Comments

well damn

Wizard

19641 Comments

I don't get the Thurston Moore reference. Is he part of Twilight now?

Excellent review dude, couldn't have said it better myself.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

carouse
August 4th 2012

Yeah fair enough, I was worried that that reference was a little vague. It was a little nod towards Moore joining Twilight, as well as the little post-punk, Sonic Youth influence here.
And thank you!

Graveyard

^ truth

also pos'd

LifeAsAChipmunk

Okay album. Pos'd.

TheNoiseWaves
August 4th 2012

Didn't like this one. Previous 2 though, were pretty good.

Acanthus
August 4th 2012

Cool review sir, may check this band out.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

Detective Dan
August 4th 2012

Not bad, just waaayyy too long.

Hyperion1001

19064 Comments

gave this a listen, the review is spot on

my favorite track was the lepers of destitution

August 4th 2012

some good stuff on the front page today, good review and I need to hear this

chambered49
August 4th 2012

martin is ma duuuude great review man

zaruyache
August 4th 2012

Rating is spot-on. Band is decent, but seem to lack any real eyebrow-raising qualities.

I don't get the Thurston Moore reference. Is he part of Twilight now?

Someone's behind on their vber kvlt news. Yeah, he apparently joined Twilight and is a big BM fan.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

ThyCrossAwaits
August 4th 2012

I listened to the first few tracks of this and was severely bored.

Digging: Old Man Gloom - The Ape of God I

SladetoBlack
August 4th 2012

Album is like an Everlasting Gobstopper: It's good, but goes on way longer than it needs to and doesn't have much taste in the end.

Crysis
August 4th 2012

Cool album art but doubt I'd like this

Wizard

19641 Comments

And thank you!

Fuck yeah, Twilight just got better. And now I see where your coming from with the whole Sonic Youth post-punk influences, just a little slow sometimes.

And I think we're the only two people on this site to really write something of interest on this band. I'm pretty dismissive on neg reviews for these guys because I think neggers miss the point with their music.

I read in Decibel he was a huge BM fan but I never expected him to actually join a metal band.