Cloudkicker
Fade

2.0
poor

by the music god USER (21 Reviews)
August 4th, 2012 | 22 replies | 3,341 views

Review Summary: Where the best of old meets the best of new, with a cherry on top.

Last year, in November, we saw Cloudkicker make a drastic change to his sound, going from crazy time signature, in your face metal to a more ambient and acoustic post rock sound on “Let Yourself Be Huge”. Many wondered what would be next for Cloudkicker, would he continue his further exploration the sound on “Let Yourself Be Huge” or would he go back to a more metal sound on his 4th (or 5th if you count “Loop”) full-length album? Well the wait is over and I can say that this release shouldn’t disappoint fans on either side of the fence and I can easily see this bring in a few new fans too.

With “Fade”, Cloudkicker combines the lofty sound of “Let Yourself Be Huge” and the massive and metallic sound of “Beacons” or “The Discovery” perfectly. “Fade” is truly the culmination of everything that Cloudkicker has to offer. But don’t think that “Fade” is just an album of recycled sounds thrown into a blender; the album has a shoegazy element to it that was not on previous Cloudkicker albums. Tracks like “Garage Show” and “LA After Rain” are great examples of this new addition to his sound. The combination of the more traditional post-rock/metal Cloudkicker sound with the new shoegaze style gives the songs a more immersive feel to them and really adds to the feelings that Cloudkicker is trying to give you when you hear his music.

“Fade” also features the best production on a Cloudkicker release to date. The bass is very audible and high up in the mix on the whole album, which is really something special for an album like this, it gives the album a much larger and full sound. The layering of the guitars really adds a lot of depth to the songs and gives them a grander feeling, a feeling that would not have been possible had Cloudkicker only used one guitar track at a time.

"Fade" truly brings out the best and worst in Cloudkicker sounds. Creating what could be the best album of his career. Although fans of Cloudkicker’s earlier releases like “The Discovery” and “The Map is Not the Territory” may not be too keen that he no longer plays djent, a listener that wants more than just wild instrumentals and more matured songwriting should find something in “Fade”.

James Ferraro Suki GirlzPink Floyd Ummagumma
Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002
Cerekloth In the Midst of Life We Are In DeathAction Bronson Saaab Stories
im not autistic, i was tested when i was 4, seriously (5)
Ben Sharp knows how to push my buttons....

Scott Krasman (4)
Something old and something new....

Puzzles (4)
Cloudkicker has become a well-oiled machine and released a majestic culmination of his previous work...

The album is :[

Digging: Miyuki - Fellow Citizen

chesse13
August 4th 2012

Pos I enjoyed reading this and I can't wait to listen to it. I also heated this had a battles influence?

ChuckyTruant

Awesome review

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

mindleviticus

album does slay

J0ckstrapsFTW

Slays indeed

August 4th 2012

I liked it more than Beacons.

SabertoothMonocle
August 6th 2012

Seattle. Album is tittaaays

menawati
September 10th 2012

Good album and nice review pos'd.

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

MO
September 10th 2012

the amount of times i've spun seattle recently is ridiculous...and I can't stop

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

J0ckstrapsFTW

"Thug waffle"

I lol'd

March 12th 2013

woah did oltna actually be serious enough to write a review?

nice review olt

its not a joke

nope

May 31st 2013

Rating is a bit too low.

Digging: Elvis Depressedly - New Alhambra

May 31st 2013

what the hell, all these ghost negs

May 31st 2013

Don't know who would neg it, it's a great review

o thanks

im curious as to why you think this is a 5

May 31st 2013

It's hard for me to explain exactly why... I am a huge fan of Ben Sharp, but this might be my favorite album he's ever done. Just there's some combination that happens in my head with every song on here, and I connect with it emotionally, while also extremely enjoying the instrumentation. Ben Sharp just touches me without using words, I find his guitar work just perfect. I did a bad job of describing why I think this is a 5... I guess to me it just is.