Apodiablosis
Utrechtse Krop

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
July 31st, 2012 | 84 replies | 2,972 views

Review Summary: An intriguing contrast of sounds and environmental personalities.

Apodiablosis is a one man ambient project which began in late 2011. By this time, its third LP released within a year from its first, shows the artists maturity and growth; even though it’s only been a short period of time. The first and second releases of “Spiral” and “Tardigrade” show more of a monochrome appearance with atmospheres that certain one’s could get lost in. But with “Utrechtse Krop” we have more of an engaging approach where the composer effortlessly blends in an array of cohesive and comprehensive textures. The monochromatic natures of early Apodiablosis have not been lost, rather, the maturity of this release shines in the integrations of old and new ideas. We have the use of conceptual skits, wavelength effects, overdriven ambience, occasional acoustic guitars, reverse glass effects, trebly chimes, and even rhythmic thuds all in singular fashion as well as intertwined.

When looking over the track list the focus and nature of “Utrechtse Krop” begins to unfold. “Jumentum”, the first track, is a skit that begins with what seems to be a hierarchy of divinity in which the superior gives its subordinates the ability to create humans. The perspective the superiors give to the humans is that of pettiness, which is manifested by the words of “humans quite interesting even though they are a worthless greedy lot”. From there it seems we are taken into the superior’s realm where we are able to envision the life’s of mortal souls through one that is spiritual and divine. It seems the superiors grow tired of the humans and decide to kill them and throw them “Into the Fetid Cisterns”. Now I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself because up to this point you would have already went through an array of sounds that work perfectly to describe what the album seems to suggest. The very brief acoustic guitars at the beginning of “Marrow and Flesh” seem to represent the careless attitude of humans. The song then jumps into various ambient effects that hold dark mysterious manners to them which feels like you’re gazing at the humans in your realm of superiority, before the massacre that I previously talked about begins. With “Sand & Viscera” it’s obvious the smoke has cleared with the sand-wind effects of tumultuous glitters, yes glitters of purulent scatterings.

This is where the story gets really good because from this point on we are introduced into a new perspective which really solidifies the growth of Apodiablosis. The second half of this album starts with “Fraai”, which in Dutch means beautiful. This is the contrast that I mentioned in my summary: although one may think that was brutal of these superiors to destroy the humans, the perspective of the superiors is one that is of peace and “Paean” which means songs of joy. We’re looking at two different perspectives which in turn unintentionally or intentionally lends itself to a moral; a moral of seeing things from more than one angle than just the typical of choosing. This same track “Paean” actually ends with a skit that sounds like something from a movie where a man utters words about humans achieving speed, power, and technology, but are in turn incapable of peace, kindness and all those things that make life possible. In fact, even going further, the awesome “Senocular Divinity[Haruspex]”, which is more classical ambient with synthy-eerie solos than anything else, implies seeing things with six eyes, which is a tribute to my previous words of optimistic viewpoints. “Spleen” is a complete skit as well but because of the distortion, some parts become incomprehensible, especially the latter half of the track. But I will tell you that whatever that demon like creature is saying it sure sounds sinister. I haven’t figured how the link of “Klass Vaak” ties into things as it’s Dutch for the sandman. But perhaps it’s referring to the sandman as some sort of spirit creature that comes from another realm to make children go to sleep, or in the context things, weak humans. And the sleep we’re talking about seems to refer to death as the album closes with “Body/Death”.

“Utrechtse Krop” is a very interesting and well thought out release that truly shows what Apodiablosis is capable of. The focus here is tremendous. Everything from the conceptual natures, well thought out tracklist, and a level of composition that really encompasses the personalities the concept attempts to display, makes this album a truly successful release. For anyone interested in hearing ambient music that tries to connect with you rather than being absent, this is for you. It’s both dark and spectacular, and anyone with an open mind would greatly benefit from giving this successful current release of Apodiablosis a try.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

Free download:

Review was fun to write and Ovrot did a really good job here.

It's grown on me quite a bit since my first listen and after going over the concept and meanings it made all the more sense, which I brought out in the review. Hope everyone enjoys.

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Ovrot

pos'd

Spleen was a Ruth White cover

Digging: Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

July 31st 2012

sup bro, so I was accurate in my conceptual descriptions or was I way off on what meaning you were intending?

or...

did you create it in a way of multiple interpretations?

Ovrot
July 31st 2012

I didn't make it with a large conceptual idea in mind, but I did go for similar feelings themes.

I'd say you over-analyzed a bit.
But the review still rules.
m/

July 31st 2012

yeah I like to do that, but it's really imagination carrying itself, I'm sure everyone will have their own interpretations but I'm glad I conveyed mine

July 31st 2012

"anyone with an open mind would greatly benefit from giving this successful current release of Apodiablosis a try."
Humm will check this out.

Nice work man, have a pos.

July 31st 2012

@XGX - haha yeah i could see that. abosutely bro, I hope you enjoy if you get around to listening to it.

@ Notrap - thanks man. Yeah I've many forms of ambient music and I still needed to come into this with an open mind because I know Ovrot really gets involved deeply when he writes music. This imo is definitely his azimuth.

Ovrot? Ovrot made this?

SgtPepper
July 31st 2012

Good review, man. Will check this out.

July 31st 2012

"Ovrot? Ovrot made this?"

Yup it's all him bro.

@Paper - sup bro, thanks. I hope you enjoy it broham.

July 31st 2012

Jamming now. Some nice dark ambiences indeed.
Congrats Ovrot, keep making music man.

Sputnik should feature this, at least for one hour.

July 31st 2012

Do you think they would allow it Notrap? Feel free to request it if you think so. That would never hurt. I know it's past the "recent" mark but it could use attention as well as showing that sputnik supports user albums.

July 31st 2012

Album is freaking sweet man

seedofnothing

Excellent review. Pos.

Good album too. Good job Ovrot.

July 31st 2012

@ mindleviticus - sure is, guess who's next.

@ Seed - thanks bro

July 31st 2012

Awesome! BTW, while I wait for the artwork to come up on my album, I put the album cover jpeg in the
sound off to the album so you could see it : )

July 31st 2012

Haha some eating utensils huh, I'm getting see your personality a little bit more here. Cool man. Gonna be listening to your album a just a few more days maybe but am already formulating my thoughts on the review.

Lol it's metaphorical.

love the sample from that Adventures of Mark Twain movie

"Lol it's metaphorical"

yeah I figured, I love the simplicity, it has the potential to be simple yet very effective, I'll try to see how I interpret that when listening to the album since I have a visual aid now.