The Overseer
We Search, We Dig

by RQL3 USER (5 Reviews)
July 29th, 2012 | 40 replies | 4,383 views

Review Summary: Underoath has fans.

Let me begin by saying… This band is really good. I was quite impressed for a debut. The only stinking problem is that it sounds exactly like Underoath. There are occasional bouts of separation, but then they still sound like someone else. I heard Thrice quite a few times throughout this album. They just never develop their own sound as the album progresses. Now that that is out in the open, let’s begin.

I really enjoyed this album. If it had been slightly more original, my rating would be higher. The best explanation I can give is that it is very “in your face.” This band does not hold anything back (which I really loved). As their bio on Solid State says, they like to be “in the moment.” The vocals sound incredibly passionate, and the guitars are super heavy. The lyrics are seemingly ambiguous throughout, and the synth breaks provide lots of diversity in the tempo and sound.

The clean vocals are actually the weakest part of this band from what I could tell. Although according to Solid State it says that Anthony Rivera does the vocals, it would appear that the guitarist actually does the singing (see their video for "Amend"). Rivera does the harsh vocals, and I think his screams greatly overshadow the cleans presented on this record. That isn’t to say the singing was poor by any stretch of the imagination. It is quite refreshing to listen to singing in this genre where there isn’t any blaring auto-tune present. But as far as this album was concerned, that seemed to be the weakest link.

The drums keep a very post-hardcore feel. There isn’t overuse of double bass or over exaggerated fills. Abishai Collingsworth very much stays within his limits, but without being boring and stale. He is a very solid drummer. I also cannot say enough about the guitarist, Darren King. The guitar work is one of the major strong points of this album. While they have 2 guitars in each song, he is the only active guitarist in the band. The bass also can actually be heard, and occasionally has its own parts (see “Dredge”). All in all, the album is very musically sound.

I highly recommend this album to any fan of Underoath and Vheissu/The Artist in the Ambulance-era Thrice. This album hits hard, and the screaming vocals are more than satisfactory. This is probably the best debut in this genre I have heard in quite some time, and I look forward to seeing this band grow and maybe stepping out with their own sound in the future.

Recommended tracks: Dredge, Amend, Estrange, Absolve

July 29th 2012

Having read through it some more it is a bit sloppy in some places but I felt this needed a review and there was only so much to say about a band that sounds exactly like another one. Constructive criticism is appreciated

JAXETA
July 29th 2012

very good review and very good band

July 29th 2012

Thanks man. Yeah I had actually never heard these guys until Underoath said to check them out. Then I was like oh... ah ha. Yeah. I was surprised by how awesome it was though

July 29th 2012

yeah this album is pretty good.

July 29th 2012

It really is solid by as I said in my review like I listen to it and think... I'd rather just listen to Underoath

July 29th 2012

yeah me to, some songs on here are pretty forgettable too

skoopy48
July 29th 2012

these new solid state bands are sick

yeah they are.

July 29th 2012

Solid State seems to come out with a lot of good bands, without falling into the trap of adding a bunch of generic acts like Rise.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

July 29th 2012

good review also, this sounds like something i'd dig.

July 29th 2012

It really is a sick album. It doesn't disappoint

July 29th 2012

yeah, I like it. Estrange rules hard.

TooLateToGoBack
July 29th 2012

Amend is the best track on the album. The cleans also totally remind me of Aaron.

Maybe he secretly left Underoath to join these guys? haha

Durrzo

Good review great album.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

July 30th 2012

Thanks for the feedback fellas. And yeah but his cleans really threw me for a loop on this album. At some points he sounds so strained and it doesn't sound good. Like I really hate the cleans on "Vulture". Like I can't explain it but I didn't like it. Then other times I thought he sounded fantastic with his cleans. Was just really hit or miss for me.

But yeah "Amend" and "Absolve" were my favorite tracks

July 30th 2012

And there's a troll neg.

Storm In A Teacup
August 9th 2012

I will be seeing this band with August Burns Red & Of Mice & Men.

August 9th 2012

You'll enjoy them. I really wanted to go to that tour but they aren't coming anywhere near here.

Storm In A Teacup

hell yea

ChuckyTruant
August 9th 2012

Im also seeing this band with ABR but I don't think OMAM is there for my date. but sweet review nash and awesome album

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails