Gideon
Milestone

by RQL3 USER (5 Reviews)
July 26th, 2012 | 15 replies

Review Summary: Gideon continue to walk the beaten path. Solid and familiar.

Is family important to you? For some, family is everything. The bond that one might share with their mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters is so strong that the relationship itself defines the person as a human being. For others, they may hate their family. Their father might beat them, their mother might have abandoned them, and their brother might just be a bully. One thing always remains true though: Family directly affects us as individuals. Good or bad, they shape and mold us into who we are today. It is very clear from Milestone that family has had a very strong impact on the fellas in Gideon.

From topics that include being a failure as a son, having a mother that gave it all, and a drunk father that beat his family, Daniel McWhorter tells stories of a rough upbringing. The most difficult song to stomach lyrically is “Maternity”, which tells the story of an unsaved mother that he refuses to give up on. Whether or not this was his actual childhood is unclear, but if not, he certainly depicts a convincing story. His solution for this rough world we live in rings true throughout the album. His solution is Jesus Christ.

The music itself is relatively strong. Of course it wouldn’t be metalcore without breakdowns (including some bad ones), but the album itself is pretty consistent. The most talented member is easily Jake Smelley on drums. The guitars sometimes deliver and sometimes disappoint. It is heavy of course, but the delivery of smooth melodic leads is where the album really succeeds. This element is found in songs such as “Gutter” and “Still Alive”. "Maternity" (other than the "Shoulder to Shoulder" lyrics in "Still Alive") is the only song on the album that features clean vocals.

While this album is great and stands up next to their debut, Costs, I would have liked to have seen a bit more progression from these guys. They have always been branded “The Ghost Inside if they were Christian” and I had really hoped they would break that mold with this release. It seems this year, TGI progressed (or regressed to some) and Gideon did not. This band definitely has the potential to go places; they just need to push their boundaries a little more. They seem constrained by their genre, but hopefully that will change in the future.

I would recommend this album to fans of the melodic metalcore genre, as well as anyone who is a Christian. While I don’t think the lyrics are preachy, they definitely do not mask their purpose. I personally prefer a band that isn’t afraid to speak their minds, and that is exactly what Gideon does here. Don’t be fooled into thinking this will change your life, but it is a passionate, heavy, and fun listen, and I look forward to more releases from this band in the future.

Recommended Tracks: Gutter, No Acceptance, Maternity, Faceless

July 25th 2012

Great guys. Hope they really succeed.

Hep Kat
July 26th 2012

i really didn't like Costs, but this has cool art, so i may give it a shot

July 26th 2012

Although I rated them the same, I am more fond of this one. They are very similar but this one I like better

loveisamixtape
August 4th 2012

these guys were once locals to me. they never play home shows anymore

i didn't really like this at first but I can't deny how catchy it is. "Faceless" is awesome

August 6th 2012

Me too. I expected more from this album so at first it was a disappointment but now I enjoy it. And yeah I'm from Jackson originally and Daniel used to be in The Advocate and they were local. Used to hang out at their place all the time

KSK1
August 31st 2012

I've been listening to this lately. They sound almost identical to TGI most times but I think I like them more tbh. Would definitely like to see them.

MuhNamesTyler
September 22nd 2012

I didn't really like Costs that much for whatever reason but this is somehow a lot better. Album is pretty fun listen and doesn't really drag but on 1 maybe 2 tracks.

haydenslame
October 1st 2012

They still play home shows, but definitely not as often. Glad their going places. good dudes. Their guitarist books the best shows too.

Groovesohard
October 24th 2012

pretty fun CD i'm not gonna lie.

HardlyHardcore
December 10th 2012

Not to start a genre bash, but I don't know if melodic metalcore would be the best way to state these guys. I'd say they have definite hardcore roots and maybe some metal, but Miss May I is metalcore, this is not. Good review otherwise. I'm really diggin this album.

sspedding
December 13th 2012

gutter is a great tune but there isnt much else to see here.

Digging: Devil Sold His Soul - Belong ? Betray

December 20th 2012

@HardlyHardcore
Well honestly you can't call this metal. And you can't call it hardcore. So it is definitely a mix. and they definitely consider themselves a mix. I don't know what else you would call them.

They sound very very much like TGI, who is also metalcore. Miss May I isn't the end all be all sound of the genre.

haydenslame
July 27th 2013

I wish Justice Tripps part on Maternity was longer.

MuhNamesTyler
July 27th 2013

Yeah hardcore/ metalcore.

Album is still pretty fun. Think I might like this better than the newest tgi

TooManyFriends
August 11th 2013

This still pretty much rules. Gutter, Bad Blood, Overthrow, Mask, Maternity, Faceless, all great tunes