Where Mountains Meet
Frontier

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
July 24th, 2012 | 39 replies

Review Summary: A breath of fresh air.

There’s a plethora of different styles of music to choose from nowadays. With everything ranging from avant garde, jazz, classical, rock, pop, metal, to majoristic to minimalistic, it’s like a buffet of sorts and options to choose from. With all those aforementioned labels one can find some really good music while most of the time you’ll hear a bunch of generic crap. But from time to time it’s nice just to hear music that is just very well put together, music that focuses on intelligent song writing that evokes emotion and passion; no matter where the source is coming from. With this being said, I introduce you to “Where Mountains Meet”, a one man project of electronic music that has a bit of a post-rock feel to it. The music of “Frontier”, besides the drums which we will get to, is rather minimalistic, but not to the degree of the stereotype of anything boring. These fundamental patterns are very emotively based, where each note seems to have a specific purpose rather than moments that do nothing more than fill gaps of necessity. In fact, it seems unless a note doesn’t have a purpose it will not become present. These careful attentions to detail really connected with me as I found myself wanting to listen to this excellent piece of work over and over again.

The post-rock feel comes solely from the drums because unlike most electronic that uses “dub” beats and pulsing patterns, “Frontier” utilizes actual drum-kit styled moments in most of its entirety. When the first track “Antithesis” begins you immediately hear the use of the high-hat and toms coupled with bass kicks and snare. The patterns aren’t repetitive either like most programmed beats. You get the feel that an actual drummer is playing even though the use of programmed drums are present. Some of the tracks are a bit short, however, where the first three tracks out of five are right at or fewer than three minutes in length. These shorter moments really show that the artist has more room to grow on future projects where lengthier moments can be accomplished with the uses of dynamic builds and layering, or even perfectly timed-unexpected tempo and emotion key changes. Regardless of potential, I felt the artist did well in keeping the openings tracks to a minimal length which fit quite well as an EP, rather than an LP, which I’m not sure which this classifies as of yet.

The formulas of “Frontier” display the use of ambient synths that perfectly back up the minimalistic pianos, but I found it very gratifying to see the use of staccato violins in track “Skies of Red” which give a bit of an epic rising feeling to the music. In some cases, like on the lengthier track “Insurmountable”, there is a big emphasis on delayed effects and ambiences, which are quite playful in serene type of way. The use of bass is fittingly intertwined as well which usually adds the final piece to the puzzle after ambience and groove are established.

Typically, the music as a whole can be described as dark, mellow, serene, and yet, slightly hopeful. In the closer “Past-Present-Future” the artist seems to convey a sense of disparity to the realism that he is surrounded by, but at the same time a bit of hope and faith seems to be the domineering factor. It’s as if the artist realizes that whatever is occurring can’t go on forever and a certain level of change must occur. He’s holding onto something in an honest-open type of manner and we can only gaze at what his finger is pointing to; consequently sharing in his passions for that moment.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

Free Download:

This is the work of sputnik user "syco722"

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

MO

fix this:

"With everything raging from avant garde"

this reads very oddly:

"it’s like a buffet of sorts and options to choose from"

as does this:

"You get the feel that an actual drummer is playing even though the use programmed drums are present."

not trying to be a dink, but there's quite a few things in this review that read really weirdly, you may want to look over it again

July 24th 2012

*Fixed, except for "it’s like a buffet of sorts and options to choose from"

I didn't feel that part needs correcting.

Shuyin
July 24th 2012

as for the rest, well done as usual.

albums seems tasty, downloading now m/

Digging: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

seedofnothing
July 24th 2012

I remember seeing this when the user posted it on a thread, good stuff for sure. And good review too, I felt the things MetallicOpeth posted were minor things. The read actually flowed quite well. Good job pos.

July 24th 2012

Thanks fellers, hope you guy's enjoy it. Shits very tasty Shuyin.

Also I think this is an EP because there's no way an LP could be this short imo. I'll have to check with the user.

syco722
July 24th 2012

Thanks for the write-up my man, you've definitely made it sound far better than it actually is, and for the record yes it's an EP, I'm honestly not sure why I put it as an LP in the database. Fixing now. Everyone else feel free to let me know what you think of it, what you like and don't like, all opinions mean a lot to me.

2002 Comments

i have this in my itunes. dont remember when/why i downloaded it. must have seen it in a post on here i guess. haven't listened to it before. will listen to it as i read your review.

2002 Comments

albums chill as fuck. i like it. reviews not bad too. hits on all the right points, but some bits do read a little weird.

YoYoMancuso
July 24th 2012

very good review captain and album's nice as well

2002 Comments

not sure where the jakob and meniscus similarities are. id go more with bark psychosis personally.

July 24th 2012

@ syco722 - haha stop being humble, you know this album kicks ass. Oh and thanks for the update on the matter of this being an ep. I may make a few corrections updating that info in the review.

@Minty901 - thanks for the feedback. It's been about a month since I've written anything since my non-stop streak of 62 reviews. I agree it's a little rusty but this ep really motivated me to get back into writing again.

@YoyoMancuso - Thanks bro.

@Shuyin - hope the hearing is doing well bro.

@MO - thanks for the feedback and taking the time to look over my review bro

@Seed - Thanks for the kind words bro and good to hear you enjoyed this.

2002 Comments

it's certainly a good review, just needs a bit more proofreading to iron out some bits that dont flow so well. read it aloud:

"which I’m not sure which this classifies as of yet."

also, as metallicopeth mentioned, the second sentence is a little confusing. is it supposed to read like "it’s like a buffet of sorts... and options to choose from" or "it’s like a buffet... of sorts and options to choose from". if its suppose to read like the second one, then it makes sense, but in its ambiguity it naturally lends itself to being read the first way, with "buffet of sorts" being a combined phrase.

July 24th 2012

oh fuck yea i remember this album it rules but stop making birthrite alts captain pls

July 24th 2012

what the fuck are you talking about DarthMann, since when do I make alts you fucking idiot

July 24th 2012

And thanks for your concern Minty but I'm really in the mood for semantics so maybe I'll look at it later but I'm already thinking about reviewing another album.

No offense to you but I don't take my writing "that" seriously.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

July 24th 2012

"but I'm already thinking about reviewing another album."

quality over quantity?

July 24th 2012

damn Darth you used to be cool man, what happened

one day you're upset and want everyone to troll neg you than you're making assumptions like a pest, what happened man

2002 Comments

kk. just some pointers in case you wanted them.