Marillion
Fugazi

by TheNotrap USER (10 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2012 | 89 replies

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Fugazi" is an excellent product of its time and remains one of the top quality progressive rock albums to be created in the '80s.

Formed in Aylesbury, England, in 1979, Marillion is arguably one of the most interesting and successful progressive rock bands of the '80s. Often considered one of the founders of the Neo-Progressive genre, the band released four albums between 1983-1987 that quickly gained a cult status within the demanding prog circuit. Influenced by '70s acts such as Genesis (Gabriel era), Yes or Pink Floyd, Marillion issued their critically acclaimed debut "Script for a Jester's Tear" in 1983, an album that blends Genesis' early baroque languages with the rock flavours of the early '80s. Steve Rothery's melodic guitar lines layered by Fish's poetic lyrics and theatrical vocal performance were the key musical elements in shaping Marillion's sound into a distinctive identity, placing the band on pole position within the emerging British Neo-Progressive scene.

One year later the band released their highly anticipated second album titled "Fugazi". With a harder edge than its predecessor the album can be seen as "Script's" natural evolution. All ingredients are still present, Fish's impressive vocal dynamics and Rothery's very unique guitar signature are still leading the way, supported by Mark Kelly's colorful keyboards and Peter's always solid bass lines. But it's new recruitment Ian Mosley that delivers the most significant improvement to the band's sound, with his refined technique providing the perfect background for Marillion's progressive melodic songwriting, allowing the rhythm section to move more freely.
The album opener "Assassing" is the perfect introduction to what the listener should expect from Marillion's sophomore release. A combination of straightforward rock with progressive and passionate textures. This more hard rock approach is present in almost all of the songs on this album, however this new reinvigorated energy is smartly balanced by smoother ambiences, creating a strong sense of direction throughout this recording.
Fish's provocative and enigmatic lyrics remain Marillion's most distinctive trademark. From religious cults and First World War references such as "Who decorates the scarf with the fugi knot, who camouflaged emotion in a thousand yard stare" to Irish folklore metaphors "World war three, suburbanshee, just slip her these pills and I'll be free", every word and sentence is manipulated to shape some cryptic meaning that leads to multiple interpretations. But Marillion's greatest achievement on "Fugazi" is the ability to place these complex lyrics on a song-based musical structure, avoiding the long compositions of their progressive counterparts. Swinging between layers delivered by Kelly's chromatic keyboards and Rothery's beautiful guitar lines, the songwriting is well structured and meticulously balanced, with everything in its right place. From stylish rock moments such as "Assassing", "Punch and Judy" or "Jigsaw", to more delicate and crescendo compositions like "Emerald Lies", "She Chameleon", "Incubus" or "Fugazi", this album is full of life and offers the listener an extremely diverse listening experience.

The following year saw the release of their magnum opus "Misplaced Childhood", nevertheless "Fugazi" is by no means a transitional work. It's an excellent product of its time and remains one of the top quality progressive rock albums to be created in the '80s.

Bolt Thrower War MasterMetal Church Blessing in Disguise
Dio Sacred HeartCoroner Punishment for Decadence
Scorpions World Wide LiveSavatage Edge Of Thorns

July 23rd 2012

Guys I hope you like this Marillion review.
I also want to thank Davey for his help on the grammar and text structures.

If you don’t know this band or album if you wish take a look:

Assassing

Fugazi – Album highlight in my opinion

Digging: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

JamieTwort
July 23rd 2012

Excellent review Notrap, pos'd.

I haven't listened to this one for a long time and to be honest I think I've only heard it once. Definitely need to recheck it.

Thanks JT.

Yeah you need to recheck this album asap. Excellent piece of music.

If you wish check the title track, awesome stuff:

JamieTwort
July 23rd 2012

Listening now. Great song.

July 23rd 2012

Yeah, really love that epic ending.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I want to listen to the '90s period of this band sometime.

Only one thing: Separate the text into discrete paragraphs.

Digging: Varathron - Untrodden Corridors of Hades

ZedO
July 23rd 2012

enjoying this, especially that song named jigsaw..

LifeAsAChipmunk
July 23rd 2012

I'm listening now and I really dig the production, which is odd because that's what usually pushes me away from older albums.

omnipanzer
July 23rd 2012

There is a lot about these guys that I love on paper but by simple virtue of coming about in the time frame they did I just cannot dig their sound.

Great review NoTrap POS.

@Voivod
Thanks man. Yeah that middle text is probably a little bit too long, but it didn't feel right to make a paragraph in between...

@ZedO
Rothery's solo on that song is really awesome.

@LifeAsAChipmunk
The production is cool indeed.

@Omni
Thanks sir. Yeah I know, too many synths...Please remember, it's the '80s. :-)

linguist2011

1915 Comments

This album seems to be overlooked a lot by the media, especially when reviewing marillion's full catalogue. 'Fugazi' is indeed an excellent album though, and I feel as if it contains some of Fish's more dramatic and theatrical language (as is extremely evident on his solo works). Lovely review, it certainly should convince those who haven't heard of the band before to at least buy this album.

Digging: Obliterations - Poison Everything

July 23rd 2012

good album bro, sweet review, pos

@linguist2011
Thanks man. I really hope so, this band is deeply overlooked.

Thanks Captain.

MO

fuck yes m/

ZedO
July 23rd 2012

hell yeah, listening to it for second time now...

omnipanzer
July 23rd 2012

"Thanks sir. Yeah I know, too many synths...Please remember, it's the '80s. :-)"

Yah, my point exactly ;^)

KjSwantko

Nice work, Trap.

@MetallicOpeth
m/ hard

@Kj
Thanks man. If you wish check some of the links above.
Steve Rothery has some really nice solos on Jigsaw and Incubus. Very melodic lines.

Jethro42
July 23rd 2012

Album rules. Glad to see this being covered. Gonna read your review later, bro.

MaidenUFO
July 23rd 2012

Great work Notrap as always...I need to check the band's discography!