Times of Grace
The Hymn of a Broken Man

by peartnoy USER (21 Reviews)
July 18th, 2012 | 16 replies | 2,122 views

Review Summary: I hope that Jesse Leach rejoining Killswitch Engage doesn't mean the end of Times of Grace.

After the enjoyable but quite disappointing Killswitch Engage II, most Killswitch Engage fans got really excited about a project that would reunite Guitarist/Vocalist Adam Dutkiewicz with former KSE vocalist Jesse Leach. Prior to the album’s release, Adam D stated that Times of Grace didn’t sound one bit like KSE. While that’s not really true, it isn’t a complete lie either.

Why? Because this album is (in my humble opinion) the best Melodic Metalcore album ever put on disc. It takes just enough of what makes Killswitch Engage work, but adds other elements to it also. You still get the fast melodic riffs and epic 6/8 choruses you would expect, but also get ambient segments, acoustic guitars and plenty of vocal harmonies.

This brings me to what makes this album truly special, the vocals. Jesse Leach inevitably took vocal lessons, because his voice here is just as powerful as it was back in 2002, yet much more convincing from a singing perspective (must be the beard). The same could be said about Adam D., who sings a lot more than expected here and complements Jesse’s vocal range perfectly. Instead of taking the lazy way out and layering vocal tracks to no end, they tried to make every vocal line the best way it could be by adding interesting vocal harmonies or backing vocals whenever possible. There are so many examples of this that naming a specific song is rather pointless. The lyrics aren’t exactly the most well-written lyrics out there, but they’re passionate, optimistic and fit well with the music.

On a musical level, Adam D. (who does everything including the production) knows his strengths and makes the most out of them. The level of guitar layers on almost every song is immense, but it’s always done in a tasteful way. He also doesn’t overuse solos, and each one fits perfectly. The drum playing rarely is anything spectacular, but the songs never really call for it. Also, the bass does a few well-done appearances once in a while and his a bit higher in the mix than in most Metalcore bands. Overall, never once does it feel like a wall of self-indulgence.
While it does feel like Killswitch Engage sometimes, they made sure to do just enough things differently to keep things fresh. ‘’Fight for Life’’, ‘’Until The End of Days’’, ‘’The Forgotten One’’, ‘’The End of Eternity’’ and ‘’Fall From Grace’’ are all songs that you wouldn’t expect to hear from the guy(s) who wrote THE END OF HEARTACHE (the album). What’s also great is that the album has different moods to it but always feels coherent, which is a thing most artists have a trouble with nowadays. ‘’The End of Eternity’’ is slow and depressive yet still has the most violent moment of the album in its final seconds, while ‘’Worlds Apart’’ (the following song) has this optimistic feel to it that just puts a smile on your face. However, it all comes together perfectly.

This doesn’t mean that the album is perfect. The first song, ‘’Strength in Numbers’’, feels more like a Killswitch Engage B-side then a fully realized Times of Grace song. The transitions are weird, the chorus is bland and it doesn’t feel like the rest of the album. Not a bad song, but it definitely is the weakest of the bunch. Another problem is that a good portion of the album relies on the ‘’epic’’ 6/8 chorus, which can get quite repetitive. Also, while I applaud the effort they did to make this different than ‘’that other band which I keep referencing’’, they could have done just a little bit more.

All of these are pretty minor points compared to how well-done everything else is. This album is wonderful, and at the moment my favorite Melodic Metalcore album. I just hope that Jesse Leach rejoining Killswitch Engage doesn’t mean the end of Times of Grace.

Sonic Syndicate Sonic SyndicateFar From Reality Reminiscence
Destrage Are You Kidding Me? No.Asking Alexandria From Death to Destiny
Circus Maximus NineAnberlin Vital
Understanding In a Crash (4)
Two men that contributed into making one of the most memorable metal core albums ever come back 8 ye...

Sanctum (3.5)
Times of Grace delivers what many metalcore bands have been fumbling around for: an album with purpo...

Jeremy Bentham (4)
Although its not Alive or Just Breathing part 2, Times of Grace have delivered an exceptional debut ...

J. Ponton EMERITUS (2)
Broken man with broken songwriting writes broken album...

July 17th 2012

Been like a year since I wrote a review. I hope you guys like it!

July 18th 2012

First sentence of actual review makes your opinion invalid.

July 18th 2012

First sentence of second paragraph just makes you stupid.

July 18th 2012

Both your statements make you a douchebag.

July 19th 2012

Oh no! A guy who's dumb enough to call this the greatest melodic metalcore album called me a douchebag.

July 19th 2012

It's called opinion. I wrote 600 words explaining why it's my favorite. If you can't read, it's not my problem.

Durrzo
July 20th 2012

Anyway review is good, I like this album a lot, not as much as you but yeah.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

July 20th 2012

"Oh man! The reviewer has an opinion! Better just call him stupid because I don't agree with it.... 'cause that's how the cool people on Sputnik roll."

Hail Durrzo!

July 21st 2012

Thanks Durrzo! It's okay if you don't like as much. I won't hate you for your different opinion too much cause you're nice haha

TheMoreira
November 13th 2012

Damn dude - 1, you wrote one wonderful review here. 2, i 100% agree with you. I so believe you captured the essence of the album so well.

Pos'd the hardest.

Digging: Vinterbris - Solace

November 13th 2012

Dude you just made my day : )))))

NocteDominum
November 13th 2012

I know you said it's been a while since you wrote a review but a couple of pointers:

Because this album is (in my humble opinion) the best Melodic Metalcore album ever put on disc. It takes just enough of......

This is your review, get rid of the my opinion part i.e your review=your opinion.
Genre tags don't need capitilisation, so drop them down a notch too.

There's also a breaking issue between para 4 and 5.

I like the review and opinion (yes, im going there) matches mine roughly. Have a pos.

Thanks IpodMastery!

If I didn't add that ''in my humble opinion'', people would say I'm retarded to say stuff like that. What do mean by breaking issues?

NocteDominum
November 13th 2012

you've got a gap between every other paragrapgh cept 4 and 5 obviously no biggy but your review looks choppy because of it.

TheMoreira
November 14th 2012

Yeah, peartnoy saying "in my humble opinion" was a classy touch i believe. Gives us the idea he's not imposing his opinion, but sharing it and giving his perspective on the overall look of the album. Nonetheless, constructive criticism - love it!

I for one wouldnt change anything, but one little misspell. Its not Miles Apart, its Worlds Apart. Forgot to point it yday bro.

November 14th 2012

Never noticed that haha. I'll change that right away!