Hellyeah
Band of Brothers

2.0
poor

by Kris "KJ" Swantko USER (32 Reviews)
July 17th, 2012 | 112 replies | 11,929 views

Review Summary: The fist-clenching faux metal cowboys are up to their same old tricks.

Run for the hills, Hellyeah are at it again. In theory, this all-star group sounded like it could be history in the making, but in practice, it’s still a disaster. It’s not the themes and content we’re presented with that is laughable; frankly, who doesn’t enjoy scantily clad women, pounding brews, killing time with the boys, and acting like a badass? What’s headshakingly-bad about Hellyeah is the absurdly-immature manner in which they deliver it all. Impressionable teenagers from the South and low-IQ individuals everywhere have got to be the target audience for this. Mind you, Hellyeah are all aged 38-49; they’re not exactly young pups fresh to the game anymore and the whole package comes across as ridiculous. After one piece of under-achieving waste (aka their first album) and two deja vu episodes later, I can say with reasonable certainty this project will always be a huge sh*t-stain on the guys’ resumés.

The horrendously boring and uninspired riffs; the predictable lyrical content; the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus song structure that frequently rears its ugly head; it’s all identical to their 2007 and 2010 releases. Band of Brothers is just completely devoid of anything worthwhile. There have, however, been marginal improvements. Whereas the riffs used to sound like they were created to resemble garbage, now they sound like there was at least some effort put forth; mind you they‘re still overwhelmingly bland and amateurish though. The songs and riffs have more groove and bluesy influence than on the prior records, but again, the quality hasn’t leaped forward by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as the lyrical content, look virtually anywhere and you’re guaranteed to find something along the lines of Dig myself a hole, and fill it full of me, everyday I’m living everyday until I sleep for eternity (actual excerpt from “Dig Myself a Hole”). The entire album is like a raging river of stupidity that flows like the Great Mississippi itself. The only song that rules is “Drink Drank Drunk” and that’s because it’s a paradoxically goofy-but-heavy song obviously about getting hammered which I could imagine myself having some good laughs to when actually getting hammered. The only problem is I can’t figure out if Hellyeah intended for it to be a joke or serious. Probably the latter.

There’s a little more of everything, but still not enough of anything. Vinnie Paul is jamming’ like it’s 1990, but everything else just sucks. After hearing yet another album of highly-concentrated trash, my patience has run out. With everything I’ve said in mind, I hope the boys prove me wrong in the future and restore some level of dignity to their reputations….but for now, I expect fiery-hell to freeze over before it happens. While Band of Brothers may be marginally better than earlier releases, it is still but another chapter in Hellyeah’s saga of failure.

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)
poor
AaronBatt (2.5)
The best Hellyeah album by far, but that's really not saying much......

Bwgrotha1s (2.5)
An album lacking substance, creativity, and original songwriting skills....

Stampede

Blood for Blood

Hellyeah
recommended by reviewer
anything that sucks

Terrible

Recspecs
July 17th 2012

Won't be listening to this, great write man pos'd.

July 17th 2012

Thanks Luke; yeah definitely avoid this at all costs

Recspecs
July 17th 2012

I think I might listen to "Drink Drank Drunk" for the lulz.

ncguitar
July 17th 2012

This band is doomed to be overplayed by motorcyclist wannabes and angry teenagers.

Kris.
July 17th 2012

way to steal my first name queer

TheNotrap
July 17th 2012

Haven't listened to this. Nice work Kj, have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

1st 2 sucked bad not surprised this is any different

great review though, pos

Da11thMytrillSphere
July 17th 2012

The 2nd is the worst of this guys, this project needs to die because vinnie paul and company are killing a big part of their legacy with this shit.

hell yea brother

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

MO

nice review kj

Emyay
July 17th 2012

band name is lol. album name is lol. we joke about this bands' fan base, but do they even exist? do rednecks on motorcycles like this? don't they just listen to country? i live in louisiana, and i've lived in georgia and south carolina so i have a bit of context here. i don't listen to the radio so I don't know, but do they get radio play? i've only heard of these guys from the internet. it just bottles my mind.

good review btw

FictionalFlames
July 17th 2012

never listened to the band, who are they trying to be (ripping off)?

July 17th 2012

"do rednecks on motorcycles like this? don't they just listen to country?"

haha no and prob.

"never listened to the band, who are they trying to be (ripping off)?"

It's basically Damageplan with worse riffs and gayer lyrics.

po0ty

HELLYEAH BROS

Digging: Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring

BassDemon333
July 17th 2012

Hate this band so much, they need to call it quits and Mudvayne needs to make a new album.

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50