Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Exegesis

by Scott Krasman USER (31 Reviews)
July 15th, 2012 | 48 replies

Review Summary: Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster produce what could be an unexpected addition to many year-end lists.

Every year, there seem to be a few bands that manage to come from out of nowhere and make a name for themselves. Some burst onto the scene and demand attention; others aren’t as electrifying. At first glance, there isn’t much that separates Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster from the thousands of other hopeful progressive/post-metal groups trying desperately to stand out in the world of underground music. The extravagant band name, the picture of a nebula on the album cover, the complex song titles – they’re all here. To be frank, it’s easy to see them coming off as “just another Isis ripoff” to a casual observer. In this case, however, there’s more depth than meets the eye. Exegesis is an impressive effort from a young band that is beginning to find its own niche, taking the traditional post-metal sound and adding new innovations.

There is an overlapping ominous theme that connects each song with the one before it, creating a chain of powerful songwriting. While much of the music is instrumental, the sections that contain vocals are especially noteworthy; vocalist Dylan Foucher alternates using a throaty yell and a soft croon whenever the song necessitates it. Both guitarists display an impressive array of riffs, ranging from Tool-esque chugging to dissonant melodic leads that intertwine wonderfully with the backing music. The title track, arguably the album's finest, is the best example of what Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster brings to the table. Over the course of several minutes, the lumbering song blossoms from a simple clean melody to a massive wall of sound, climaxing in a final minute that can only be described as awe-inspiring.

While the group's influences are absolutely crystal clear, they do an admirable job of trying to branch out and create their own sound. Fans of Tool should find many things to love about this album, as the band borrows much of what made Lateralus so universally praised. However, the song structures are much more similar to bands like Pelican and Neurosis in their ebbs and flows. Though there are still some lulls in the songs (which are eight minutes on average), a young band can generally eliminate filler as they grow as songwriters. Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster have done their part in creating one of the more surprisingly solid albums of the year and a possible candidate for many year-end lists to come. All they can do now is hope that they don’t fade into anonymity like so many other hopefuls before them.

Bobby Barnett Little WoundsWitch of the Waste All Other Voices
Training for Utopia Plastic Soul ImpalementCloudkicker Fade
Right Away, Great Captain! The Church of the Good ThiefBlindead Affliction XXIX II MCMXCVI
ll.ogan (4.5)
Exegesis (n.): a critical explanation or interpretation of a text or portion of a text...

recommended by reviewer
Tool Lateralus
Isis Oceanic

short but sweet

auberginedreams
July 15th 2012

hey i've been over that bridge many times i'm like famous or something now right?

MichaelSnoxall

This is pretty sweet.

yeh it rules

July 15th 2012

Sup scoot what do we have here. I'll be honest I didn't read your review but with my intuition and seeing ur recommended section I may really like this. If you want me to pos you I will. But I will ask in return that you shoutbox me the name of this band and album so I can listen to it later.

iambandersnatch
July 15th 2012

Seems good. Holy tool influence batman tho

Adabelle

Solid review, pos'd

Dimor
July 15th 2012

Great review man. Im loving this album atm

DarthMann
July 15th 2012

awesome i love you scoot

k

KjSwantko

Solid review Scoot; nice work. Gonna check this one out

July 15th 2012

Music is good. Played it last night.

AtomicWaste

2005 Comments

Will definitely check this out.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

MasBarHigeuoris21
July 15th 2012

Great review. It's about time somebody gave this excellent album a review. Love the music, although it does lose some points for sounding too much like Tool and Pelican at times.

RosaParks
July 15th 2012

will check this out cus i love scott

evilford
July 15th 2012

Nice review pos. another group I need to check out

Digging: Burial (NL) - Relinquished Souls

FearThyEvil
July 15th 2012

This was one of the best albums of the year so far. So damn good.

KjSwantko
July 15th 2012

started to bore me by the end, but really good overall.

4 is pretty accurate.

North0House2
July 16th 2012

Awesome review. Excited to listen, now.

Digging: Ef - Ceremonies