Clams Casino
Instrumental Mixtape 2

good

by oltnabrick USER (23 Reviews)
July 14th, 2012 | 40 replies

In 2011 Clams Casino delighted us with both a mixtape and an EP. These releases showed that he was the main reason behind the success of rappers like ASAP Rocky. Fast forward to 2012 and you see that Clams Casino has produced for even more artists such as, The Weeknd and Mac Miller, and remixed tracks for Lana Del Rey and XV. Over the past year Clams has become the go-to guy if you want laid back and atmospheric beats and this mixtape shows exactly that.

While this mixtape only sports one unreleased track, “Human”, all the tracks feel new due to the lack of a sub-par rapper, all but ASAP and The Weeknd, to hold the tracks down and stop them from reaching their true potential. A great example of this would be “One Last Thing” by Mac Miller. Without Mac Miller on this track you hear a more serene and peaceful sound that was previously lost underneath Mac’s nasally sounding voice. Another thing to note about this mixtape, or any of his mixtapes really, is the fact that the tracks hold their own even without the original performer which sets Clams apart from most other hip-hop producers.

The mixtape showcases the best Clams Casino has to offer. With tracks like “The Fall”, “Human”, and “Swervin” you hear the more relaxed, dream like Clams from his EP, “Rainforest”, while with tracks like “Bass”, “Angels” and “Palace” you get his more bass driven signature hip-hop style. Clams also experiments a bit on this mixtape with the remixes, “Amor Fati”, “Swervin” and “Born To Die”. On these mixtapes he proves he is good at not just producing his own tracks but also remixing others and making them his own. But the real gem on this mixtape lies in the track “I’m God”, a track produced for Lil B, that basically takes all the best parts of his more lush and dreamy tracks and mixes them with an incredibly catchy, up-tempo beat...this seriously one of the catchiest beats I’ve ever heard. The best part is that unlike a lot of catchy beats it never seems to get old and is good time after time. This is where you start to realize the huge amount of potential that this guy possesses and why he is such a crucial part of today’s hip-hop scene.

Yung Lean Unknown MemoryDemilich The Four Instructive Tales... of Decomposition
James Ferraro Suki GirlzPink Floyd Ummagumma
Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002

July 14th 2012

Wasn't sure how to close the review

Digging: Drexciya - Neptune's Lair

balcaen

4.5? whoa who a dude
maybe it's because I've heard a bunch of this before so I wasn't as blown away as I could of. Not a bad track on here though. Good review.

July 14th 2012

I have a thing for Clams' music.

Lucid

this is truly great

InFiction
July 14th 2012

Need to get this. I love his first mixtape and Rainforest so I'm sure I'll love this.

jayfatha
July 14th 2012

The A$AP beats are the best
Palace is so omg

Aids
July 14th 2012

this guy is so fucking good at making noises. I don't even really like A$AP's rapping but I love his LP cause of Clams.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

ronburgandy
July 14th 2012

it makes me angry that mac miller was rapping over music this good

July 15th 2012

I know. But I guess Clams got dat $$$.

StrangerofSorts
July 15th 2012

July 16th 2012

The only reason I listen to "Bass" is because of the music.

Digging: Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson in Crime

July 16th 2012

LiveLoveA$AP was a good mixtape though.

July 17th 2012

I dunno, the production was great, but I don't dig his lyrics.

July 17th 2012

They aren't the best lyrics but they are far from bad. They are also pretty catchy.

July 19th 2012

I should've reviewed this when it came out a month ago...

July 21st 2012

Yeah I can't argue that there are worse lyrics out there.

moderndaydrool
July 26th 2012

Not big on a ton of the stuff on here but the handful of tracks I do dig, I dig a lot.

And yes i'm aware I gave this and a shitton of other stuff the same score theneedlederp did.

DWI

July 26th 2012

What?

Omaha
August 25th 2012

Only heard gold from this guy.

August 26th 2012