Suburban Scum
Hanging By A Thread

by jayfatha USER (30 Reviews)
July 12th, 2012 | 29 replies | 3,985 views

Review Summary: I see no light, only darkness; Can't stand the fucking state we're in

Suburban Scum are a metallic hardcore band from New Jersey who have gotten quite a bit of attention in their scene. Not necessarily because they're all that different from other bands that have this punishing, somewhat desperate, and extremely pissed-off sound, but because they do it with the sort of passion and intensity that you don't come across very often in the sea of tough guys and hardcore dancers. Their previous 7" EP, Internal War, was a good release in its own right but it wasn't very stand-out or memorable. On Hanging By a Thread, they've made the riffs and breakdowns catchier, the guitar leads more frequent, the vocals more discernible but still as violent and intense as ever...music that's just fun to listen to, as familiar as it may be.

Even though probably nothing will blow your mind on this EP, it's impressively put together. The production is extremely crisp and clean sounding, giving every riff and drum fill an even stronger punch to the listener. Between the thrash-inspired riffs and the drumming that just plows down everything in its path, it feels like you're trapped inside of a steel cage with the band while they shake the ground with their massive sound. They don't need technicality, their sound is just as impressive.

As I mentioned before, few bands are making hardcore this punishing and intense while still having the mid-paced, chugging, riffing style that Suburban Scum do. Most likely, this is because they actually have something to say. Of course it's been said before, with lyrics covering things such as love, depression, and faith in humanity, but these guys are really passionate about what they're saying. No gimmicks, no bullsh*t, just straight up concern and anger. They have something they need to get off their chest, and they'll scream it at anyone who will listen. I'm glad I did; if you want something that'll get your blood flowing and make you want to break something expensive over an authority figure's head, I suggest you do the same.

Slaine The King of Everything ElseDemun Jones Jones County
Johnny Richter FreeKING OutMoonshine Bandits Calicountry
Prozak We All Fall DownChokehold Content With Dying

July 12th 2012

My shortest yet, I had writers block and made myself write this to get some creative juices flowing, hopefully it isn't that bad. As per usual, no good summary ideas...oh also the title track is probably soty so far

Adabelle
July 12th 2012

Don't remember this much, brb

Adabelle
July 12th 2012

Okay yep i remember now, have a pos even if I don't agree with the review

cvlts
July 12th 2012

pretty average nyhc imo. their vocalist was the only thing I thought was interesting

July 12th 2012

Huh, I figured the vocalist was the least accessible part. Well yea there's nothing all that special about it I just found it to be especially well done, it wasn't easy to write about

Hep Kat
July 12th 2012

more like pretty outstanding njhc

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

KSK1
July 12th 2012

Yeah these dudes are from NJ and this is really good.

July 12th 2012

^ Hit the nail right on the head

LifeAsAChipmunk

It's okay.

July 15th 2012

I like the title track but I haven't checked out anything else from this past that. Vocals rule.

JasonCarne
September 6th 2012

Easily the best hardcore EP this year thus far. I think the previous EP was nearly just as good, but the title track here is immense - as is "Wall Of Stone".

I KNEW YOU WERE FUCKED BEFORE I ASKED YOU YOUR NAME

November 17th 2012

This ep, and the Internal War ep are both fucking amazing. This band is pretty great.

November 17th 2012

i've been jammin their split with incendiary

November 17th 2012

I had no clue that existed, I need to get on that. I just started listening to Incendiary's split with Xibalba and I'm not that big of a Xibalba fan but the Incendiary songs rule.

Hep Kat
November 17th 2012

yea incendiary/xibalba split is one of my fave releases of the year cuz of the incendiary side

incendiary is the best band in hardcore according to these dudes

November 17th 2012

Incendiary is pretty fucking great. Survival has been stuck in my head for the last week or 2.

November 17th 2012

i concur. xibalba are boring as shit imo

Cygnatti

it's okay[2]

November 17th 2012

Yeah, I guess I understand why people like Xibalba but it's just not really enough for me.