Baroness
Yellow and Green

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
July 12th, 2012 | 23 replies

Review Summary: Simply a band evolving.

Yellow & Green is a division upon itself. Two different faces, one reflecting on the past and the other looking to the future. The dichotomized structure of Yellow & Green is a symbolic reference to Baroness' musical direction, a meditation on both beginnings and transitions. The music of Baroness has often been renowned for its aggressive sound, with moments that often displayed a release of intense ferocity. But even then there was always a more abstract element present in their music, even if it was very subtle. In their two previous efforts, we found Baroness occasionally experimenting with atmospheric overtones, adding a slight sense of psychedelia into their vigorous and enthralling approach to Sludge Metal. This album, on the other hand, embraces a more experimental agenda with a prominent usage of ambient textures to decorate the music.

The Yellow section is very reminiscent of Baroness' heavier roots, but the music tends to prefer a more mellifluous sound rather than an aggressive one. "Take My Bones Away" and "Sea Lungs" are descends into a restrained style of Sludge Metal, as we find the band exploring a more melodic approach. The more delicate songs in Yellow, like "Cocainium", exposes the sensitive side of Baroness. The music exhibits a newly comprised sound, first inviting us into a sensual ambient environment, before having us ascend into a more elevated sound. The guitar arrangements often add a heavier aesthetic to the music, but even as their sound is drenched in harmonic dissonance, they manage to retain a mellow feel. And as we become more and more familiar with all of the different musical dimensions that Yellow & Green wants to acquaint us with, we desperately keep our senses awake for the moment that we are reunited with that familiar release of roaring intensity that has seduced our enthusiasm all these years- But we never find it, and the disappointment may become too overwhelming to ignore for some listeners. But once we accept this album for what it is, or more accurately, for what it isn't, the listening experience becomes all the more enriching.

The Green section further explores the atmospheric realms of psychedelia. "Psalms Alive" is decorated with flourishing cosmic sounds that coat us in a sensuous embrace. And even as the song porgresses into a more aggressive delivery, when the album desperately tries to reassure us that we are indeed listening to Baroness, it becomes difficult to believe when the music continues to flow in a psychedelic cloud before evaporating from our perception. "Mtns. (The Crown & Anchor)" is another one of the more jubilant songs from this section, but we find Baroness continuing to expand on the delicate orchestrations encountered in Yellow. The music fluctuates with such an alleviating texture, inducing a soothing sensation within its mellow intimacy. "Collpase" is another entry into a surrealistic environment, one blossoming with perceptually altering effects that live to simply tease our mind and distort our senses.

As we finally reach the climax of Green, and thus ending our journey through this album's various musical worlds, we get a sense that this wasn't just a mere experiment with a new musical style. Baroness have often expressed themselves as a band that willingly indulges in exploratory meditative sessions, discovering new possibilities and expanding their musical knowledge, even if the experience is uncomfortable. And that's the attitude that determines whether a band will be remembered long after their time, or die as another nameless act that never managed to rise above the radar. If you're anticipating to find the same Baroness of the previous two albums, and nothing more, then listening to this will surely prove to be an irritating experience. But if you're willing to follow a band through their evolution, as they dwell into different realms of musical genres while expanding their sound into new creations, then this is may be the album for you.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
Eli EMERITUS (3.5)
Something old, something new, something borrowed, and something "blue."...

Brent Stephenson (4.5)
Yellow and Green finds Baroness making the shift from bombast and technicality to introspection and ...

July 12th 2012

I decided to upload the review here before taking to my other website, for feedback.

Please feel free to leave any suggestions for improvement.

BirthRite
July 12th 2012

This album is pretty underwhelming for me. A 3 at best.

MO

19068 Comments

great review man

album isn't hitting it for me, but I've been giving it a lot of listens so who knows

July 12th 2012

black and yellow black and yellow

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

MO

19068 Comments

hey... my circuits are overheating!

ThrashTillDeath94
July 12th 2012

Nice review bro enjoyed reading it, Pos'd

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

20972 Comments

names Tyrone and I'm a big black guy remember

Wizard

19641 Comments

Very well-written review. I may get around to this when the hype has subsided.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

Aids
July 12th 2012

just saw these guys live and was pretty bored to be honest. I think I may be starting to like them less. we'll see how I feel about this album.

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

ZedO

it's worth listening

"Yes

names Tyrone and I'm a big black guy remember"
Not the ethnicity you ignorant ma'fucka. I'm talkin' about the term niggah for ignorant dumbasses. No disrespect (to black people), man.

July 12th 2012

That doesn't invalidate the fact that he just proved hez be niggahz.

Omaha
July 12th 2012

Paperback I love this review, great work dude.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

xfearbefore
July 12th 2012

Great review. Really, really dug this album on the few listens I've given it so far cruising around with some friends smoking. It's definitely very different in places from their previous work but it's got that raw edge to it that I associate with the Baroness sound. Not certain on a rating yet, gonna give this another spin solo.

Digging: The Smoking Popes - Get Fired

July 12th 2012

Thanks everyone for the good feedback.

@Xfear
Thanks, mate. took me a few listens to really appreciate it. And this definitely has some really chill songs to smoke to.

eternium
July 12th 2012

Eventually I will check this album out.

July 13th 2012

Good review Paper, pos. I didn't really care for this album tbh.

July 13th 2012

Thanks, Captain. Yeah, a lot of people have been turned off by it, I didnt like it myself but it started to grow on me after awhile.