Battleroar
Age of Chaos

by John Marinakis USER (26 Reviews)
July 12th, 2012 | 8 replies | 1,214 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Proper Epic/Power Metal done right.

I never was a big fan of the Power Metal genre. For almost 2 years, I kept worshipping only two styles of Metal: NWOBHM and old school Thrash. For all this time, I kept myself separated and I snootily rejected everything else, because, according to my tastes, it wasn’t “HEAVY ENOUGH”, or because it had “TOO MUCH MELODY”. On Top of it, I was never fond of the Greek Rock/Metal scene. Silly me. A year ago, I had a chat with a fellow metalhead. This friend of mine introduced me to a Greek band named Battleroar. He told me that my perceptions regarding the Epic/Power genre will change once and for all if I’ll expose my ears to their music. Reluctantly I agreed and after listening to this band, indeed, I felt like a new person. Immediately, all I wanted to do was start digging everything which was relevant to this kind of Metal. Thus, I was introduced to some great bands like: Helloween, Manilla Road, Blind Guardian, Manowar and so on.

Now, let me say a few things about these guys. Battleroar were formed in September 2000 by 5 lads who grew up listening to the likes of Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Omen and Heavy Load. In order to enunciate their love for this kind of music, they decided to form a group that will follow in their forerunner’s footsteps. They also named their band after a Heavy load song, which is, “Singing Swords” (I Loved The Battleroar). Their first record titled “Battleroar” ensured them a place mostly in the underground cycles, where they made fans who willingly followed the band everywhere. After touring and gaining valuable experience with participations in big European festivals, Battleroar, returned not only to record their second studio album, but to prove they deserved to be treated as one of the top Greek Metal bands.

“Age Of Chaos” isn’t just another Power Metal album. It’s one of the best Greek releases of the past decade. A masterpiece which proves that Greeks can write and deliver music of high quality. The album begins with an acoustic ballad, which is written and sang by the frontman of Manilla Road, the great Mark Shelton. The musical piece narrates the story of a man who is lost in the age of chaos. What follows the introduction, is a majestic journey plunged in epic guitar riffing, beautifully haunting, interludes, excellent lead guitars, and wonderful minor melodies (played by Firewind’s keyboardist Bob Katsionis) backing up the main musicians. The amazing, effective sound effects (horn blasts, battle sounds) enrich the compositions, and makes you believe that you are actually lost in an ancient battlefield right in the middle of a war, condemned to fight for your own survival. The vocals delivered by Marco Concoreggi are nothing great and probably his performance will go on unnoticed. Nevertheless, his vocals are not harmful and he doesn’t ruining the efforts of his fellow members, but on the other hand, he doesn’t offer anything extra to carry the compositions into a new level.

The musicianship of this band cannot be described as being remarkable in terms of pure techinique. You won’t find any mindless, lightning fast solos, you won’t find flashy musical moments, or any other exaggeration of any kind. But you will find a glorious, epic atmosphere carefully orchestrated with patience and handled with precise mastery. And if you ask me, that’s what’s important. It doesn’t matter if you’re not the best guitarist or the best musician in the world. What really matters is to be honest and have a passionate yearning for what you’re doing. Then the results will be positive. These people definitely know their craft and their songs prove my words. The rhythms are being kept throughout the whole record at an ideal pace. The tracks are neither rapid nor slow. The production is also stunning. Their previous album had it’s classic moments, but it’s mediocre production betrayed the overall experience. In this album, the work on the production has gone through a massive improvement and everything sounds huge and marvelous.

I never thought that a Greek band, completely unknown to me, could have such an impact on me. Not only did they change completely my views regarding the genre I rejected, but also they made me change my mind about the Greek Rock/Metal scene. In conclusion, if you are a fan of the Epic/Power Metal style, then you need seriously to check out these guys.

Each night I do ponder, I gaze at the stars and sing my song, destined to wander this age of chaos.

Recommended tracks:
The Wanderer
Vampire Killer
The Tower Of The Elephant
Dyvim Tvar
Narsil (Reforge The Sword)
Calm Before The Storm

Sword Of Crom

Narsil

Calm Before The Storm

Dreams On Steel

Unfortunately, I couldn't find all of their songs.

July 11th 2012

In all honesty, for some reason, I think this is my worst review.
Again, constructive criticism is most welcome.

July 11th 2012

These guys have no luck in Greece. Our musical business is filled with amateurs.

SgtPepper
July 11th 2012

This is a pretty good review, mate. I dont particularly see anything wrong with it. Checked out the songs you recommend it, they sound decent as well. POS'd.

scissorlocked
July 11th 2012

wow, I remember when this album was out. it was generally well received in the power metal community

don't be so critical of yourself bro! The review is well written and informative. My only advice is that you could join paragraphs 4 and 5 into one cause the both seem to summarize some general characteristics of the album and the band. You could also avoid using the first person that much if you want your review to seem more formal.

POS!

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

TheNotrap
July 12th 2012

Very nice review man, have a pos.

"And if you ask me, that’s what’s important. It doesn’t matter if you’re not the best guitarist or the best musician in the world. What really matters is to be honest and have a passionate yearning for what you’re doing. Then the results will be positive."
Indeed, my friend.

Will check this asap.

@Paper
I believe this is my worst review in terms of describing by using complex vocabulary. In other
words, the voc is quite simple.

@scissorlocked
I'm not being critical my friend, I'm just a realist. I agree with you on joining the paragraphs, it
seems better that way.
"You could also avoid using the first person that much"
I guess you're talking about the first paragraph. I see your point, but this kind of approach seemed
to me more reasonable.
What's your opinion about these guys ? Have you ever heard their work ? I believe they are one of
the best bands our country has ever exported.

@Notrap
Thank you trap. Judging by your tastes, I believe that you will like their music to say the least,
so don't miss them. And once you check them, please give me your feedback.

TheNotrap
July 12th 2012

Sounds really promising man, I'll try to check it this afternoon.