Caught in the Wake Forever
Against a Simple Wooden Cross

by Jacob R. STAFF
July 11th, 2012 | 21 replies | 3,655 views

Review Summary: Grief's corridors explored mercilessly.

What happened to your biggest demons? How about the moment when you realized your life wasn’t quite what you thought it was, or that night you were tossing and turning, hoping to find your old self? The key moments of your life you’d prefer to keep buried are wedged together effortlessly by Fraser McGowan to make a panorama of tangible loss on Against a Simple Wooden Cross. This album was constructed with glimmers of hope, but its defining factor is its pervading grief, its raincloud of despair. While the positive moments are a certifiable force they can be chalked up to the necessary yang to the yin of nights without sleep, snapshots of a life lost in a single nightmare. Skirmishes with our worst demons. Protests with life, and brushes with death. McGowan is a shining example of a man successfully combating his despair, turning his biggest nightmare into something tangible and admirable.

The ever-brilliant light at the end of the tunnel, the undeniable optimism that perseveres through each note of sorrow, prevents Against a Simple Wooden Cross from being too gloomy for its own good. For instance, listen to the brooding root note of “Waiting Rooms & Chemists,” how it provides hopeful backdrop for an otherwise drab picture. There are many instances like this, moments where McGowan’s despair becomes more real because of the acceptance against which it reverberates and leaves a shadow more palatable than it ever could have known.

Against a Simple Wooden Cross is a success because of how its hooks transform one man’s woes into the sentiments of a community. McGowan’s latest offering appeals to fans of sprawling post-rock, bolstering the ten-minute “Scottish Grief” at the forefront, while “After the Blackout” wouldn’t sound out of place as an exceptionally dreary Iron & Wine b-side. The album is a cohesive whole through achieving different styles, a coating of paint made up of colors that complement each other nicely.

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownBaths Ocean Death
Closure in Moscow Pink LemonadeSOHN Tremors
SZA ZTycho Awake

Originally posted at: http://www.muzikdizcovery.com

Stream: http://soundcloud.com/caughtinthewakeforever/sets/against-a-simple-wooden-cross

Beautiful album.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

July 11th 2012

Nice review Omaha. You've really come a long way. Pos'd.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

July 11th 2012

Thanks a ton, man. :'] it wouldn't be this way if I hadn't have gotten awesome criticism from you, as well as many others, back in the day.

SgtPepper
July 11th 2012

Listened to "This Beauty" and "Waiting Room" while I read your review, very calming stuff. good review, by the way, POS'd.

July 11th 2012

Thanks man. ^_^ this album's such a delight to listen to.

July 11th 2012

Good stuff Jacob; short and to the point.

Thanks Matt. :]

It isn't always fun to write novels on albums, I've learned. While I never wrote incredibly long reviews in the past, I definitely feel as if I'm more concise these days.

scissorlocked
July 11th 2012

awesome work man! I agree with all the others about the length

I'll check this out, think I'll like it based on the recs I see

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

ZedO
July 11th 2012

Western Medicine Failed Me? Ha, a little bit too incited track-title! Pos'd, this's a nice reads..

Thanks guys.

BirthRite
July 12th 2012

Is there a free legal dl of this on mizikdicovery?

BirthRite
July 12th 2012

Is there a free legal dl of this on mizikdicovery?

July 12th 2012

I received one for reviewing it, but that's all that I know of.

LifeAsAChipmunk
July 15th 2012

52 reviews and still no Contributor status?

July 16th 2012

Haha, applied for the position dude. We'll be finding out soon ^_^ i'd be honored, but at the same time there are so many great writers on the site that I'd certainly understand if it didn't work out.

ADM20
July 24th 2012

This sounds like just my kind of thing! I'll be listening to it immediately!

July 24th 2012

:] glad to hear it.

dbizzles
August 7th 2012

Cool review- never heard of this at all.
God bless, the Alt/Indie page on here.

August 7th 2012

it's a beautiful album - you should definitely check it out if you get a chance!

dbizzles
August 8th 2012

I'm bandcamping this shit tomorrow.