Serj Tankian

2.0
poor

by Elijah K. STAFF
July 10th, 2012 | 36 replies

Review Summary: One of modern music's most distinctive voices wails brazenly but ends up saying nothing at all.

For longtime fans, there’s always that punched in the gut feeling when Serj Tankian decides to release a new record. That isn’t to say that he doesn’t display his fair share of musical panache, but it typically dashes the hopes of all those waiting for a new System of a Down album. Since the band’s hiatus in 2006, Tankian has dropped two full length outings, each earning a respectable amount of critical acclaim. By porting the winning sound of SOAD into a more commercially palatable alternative-rock aesthetic, Tankian has been able to please old fans as well as find new ones. However, with his most recent release, the Lebanese-born artist has lost sight of his past whilst having a general feeling of ambivalence about his future.

Harakiri is somewhat of a concept record that loosely deals with the idea of animal suicide. This idea never really feels fully realized aside from the title, which is derived from the Japanese “seppuku,” or “ritual suicide.” Neither the lyrics nor the mood of the album convey the matter too terribly well, which is a shame considering the potential of such an unconventional subject. Aside from this fumble, Harakiri plays as one would expect"Serj Tankian wails his cryptic lyrics over a hard--rock background tailor made for radio play. While much of the record has its fair share of catchy hooks and choruses, it never feels like the risky creations of a man whose scathing political criticisms influenced many disillusioned youths in the post 9/11 years.

Instead of a no-holds barred approach, we receive a mildly eccentric version of the general direction that harder alternative-rock has been taking. While Harakiri does not deviate too far from Tankian’s last two albums, it lacks the character and personality that each of those records had. Even “Reality TV,” one of the album’s most thoughtfully written songs, feels rather lazy, at some points. The biggest failing, however, is that above all else Harakiri is unabashedly forgettable. Despite some of the questionable directions that Serj Tankian has taken in his career, even at his worst he’s still remained rather cutting-edge and memorable. With his latest release the same cannot be said. Each track features the same rapid build leading to a slower, more methodical chorus. The vocal harmonies that he is known for feel forced, and the formula feels pre-packaged to the point that it comes off as almost insulting.

Harakiri if anything feels like a stop-gap between Tankian’s more recent outings and his questionably ambitious future. Being the first in a series of four records, each more gimmicky than the last, the album feels as if the artist’s mind was elsewhere. It is the sound of a musician stuck in transition and simply going through the motions, making for a thoroughly uninteresting and disappointing release.

Myrkur MPissgrave Suicide Euphoria
Cattle Decapitation The Anthropocene ExtinctionKronos Arisen New Era
Krallice Ygg HuurHowls of Ebb The Marrow Veil
3.2
good
Joseph Viney STAFF (3.5)
All systems go...

TheBlackHand667 (4.5)
Harakiri is better than Elect The Dead and Imperfect Harmonies thanks to Serj’s ever-improving com...

Alex Beebe (2.5)
The message behind the music only goes so far when the music itself is subpar....

Nitroadict
July 10th 2012

Far too vague & superficial.

AliW1993
July 10th 2012

Good review as ever Eli. I only listened to this once but first impressions were better than expected.

19336 Comments

I didn't like this album nearly as much as Imperfect Harmonies...great review, Eli.

Digging: FKA Twigs - M3LL155X

July 10th 2012

When are they gonna promote you man

19336 Comments

I heard it's when he reviews TDAG at a 5. But that's just what the wind told me.

July 10th 2012

I reviewed Deja Entendu and gave it a 4.5 isn't that close enough where's my promotion bro

July 10th 2012

Sounds about right, Eli. Good review.

July 10th 2012

He reviews too much good music to be staff

Graveyard
July 10th 2012

he likes him lots of post-rock though

19336 Comments

With the contrib applications floating around we've been talking about who to promote lately.

And Eli if you, me, and Irving all end up on staff together someday we're gonna wreck shit 2011 style

July 10th 2012

'If you reviewed a lot more and applied I feel like you could get there someday, if that's even what you want (@Tyrael)'

Reviewing more is impossible for me

so nope

July 10th 2012

The wait is killing me! But I'll use this time to my advantage to review something.

ILJ

When are they gonna promote you man [2]

breakingthefragile
July 10th 2012

I think you kick ass Eli. If any contributor deserves the upgrade to staff it's you man.

Rev
July 10th 2012

I was on the Eli contributor train for years, so obviously I'm on the staff one as wll

ELI FOR STAFFFFFFFFFFF

Great review, I don't really understand the appeal of his post-SOAD stuff unless you're like 14 lol

that said, I hope the kids don't ruin your approval rating with this

Ire
July 10th 2012

agreed eli for contrib time to promote this dude yea

19336 Comments

We were going to promote Eli but we decided Ire was the better choice

breakingthefragile
July 10th 2012

Decision of the century right there Sowing.

Aids
July 10th 2012

first one was good but yeah this probably is dumb

INutToThis