A Hero a Fake
The Future Again

1.5
very poor

by Durrzo USER (7 Reviews)
July 7th, 2012 | 65 replies

Review Summary: Potential wasted.

A few years ago A Hero A Fake released Let Oceans Lie. It was a great album, mediocre vocals aside. The guitar leads were fantastic, super melodic, technical, and just all around a blast to listen to. The drumming was a bit over the top, but it was also superb. There were massive drum fills and great beats all over the album. The vocals were average at best, the screams were monotonous as could be and the singing was whiny and weak. The epic instrumentals allowed me to overlook the extremely underwhelming vocal performance, and I held on to pretty high hopes for the band. I figured by the time they released their next album the vocals would have improved, and the instrumentals would continue to be fantastic.

Well, the follow up to Let Oceans Lie has arrived... And it ***ing sucks.

Let's start with the guitar work. What was easily the highlight of the previous album has been reduced to mostly just down tuned chugs and uninteresting riffs. The melodies that do show up are too infrequent and not nearly good enough to save any of the songs. On occasion a lead shows up that is actually quite nice to listen to, but by the time you come across those leads you'll probably hate the song you're listening to way too much to care or consider it a redeeming quality.

A while after Let Oceans Lie was released the band posted that they had let their drummer go. I thought that drummer was awesome, he went ape-*** on his kit pretty much all the time and was really fun to listen to. Well now they have a guy that pretty much just keeps the beat and never does anything worth remembering. There's fills here and there but they're pretty weak. The new guy is overall just a huge step down. So he fits right in to the band's new sound.

The vocals for this band have always been the weak point, that remains the case on this album, and considering how weak the rest of the band is here, that's really saying something. The screams are barely tolerable at their best, and downright horrible at their worst. The lead vocalist, seemingly in an attempt to make his performance even worse than it already is, uses the spoken word technique fairly often. His voice is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever heard on a record. I don't know who told him it would be a good idea to use that method for the album, or what they were smoking. It's horrible and it does more damage to the songs than any other aspect of the band. The clean vocals still suck, that's pretty much all there is to say about them. Whiny, weak, bad.

The song structures are predictable, they're riddled with crappy breakdowns, and the choruses aren't catchy. You would think that if all else failed on a Metalcore record, you could at least find a catchy chorus or two, but no, every chorus on this album is garbage.

There really is nothing here to redeem this album, this is pretty much as lame and generic as Metalcore gets. A huge disappointment from a band that once displayed a lot of potential. Potential wasted.

Darkest Hour Darkest HourBreakdown Of Sanity Perception
In Fear and Faith In Fear and Faith This or the Apocalypse Dead Years
To Speak Of Wolves Find Your Worth, Come HomeFeed Her to the Sharks The Beauty of Falling
1.7
very poor

July 7th 2012

Short rant-like review but whatever. Let me know if you see any mistakes I'll keep a look out myself.

Album isn't out yet but is streaming on youtube.

sspedding
July 7th 2012

this is very disappointing. I was hoping they would build on the potential they showed in Let Oceans Lie

A word of advice though, don't use swear words - it looks very unprofessional.

pos

July 7th 2012

The guitars went from technical to generic. The screamer sucks as usual. And the new clean vocalist blows even worse than the last guy. pos

July 7th 2012

I'm not really going for professional spedding. It's just kinda me saying what I wanna say and that's it, I don't plan on writing professionally so it's all good. Thanks for the pos votes.

ConcubinaryCode
July 7th 2012

Album art looks like its from "I Am Legend".

July 7th 2012

They had three guitarist in LOL, which might be why the guitars aren't as good this time.

July 7th 2012

I had to force myself to finish this thing, figured I couldn't write a review based off two songs. I could have, they're all equally horrible.

Devastator
July 7th 2012

Never listened to these guys, certainly not starting now.

July 7th 2012

Yeah, don't waste your time.

D41V30N

lol this band

i liked the review though
i can already imagine how this sounds like

pos

July 7th 2012

"The lead vocalist, seemingly in an attempt to make his performance even worse than it already is, uses the spoken word technique fairly often."

Are you shitting me? Fuck this trend. Is it like the annoying Frankie Palmeri build up?

"I don't know told him it would be a good idea to use that method for the album"

I think you're missing a "who" there.

July 7th 2012

Also, great review. Will give a song or two a listen just to confirm its terribleness.

J0ckstrapsFTW

Ya this is just bad lol

July 7th 2012

Thanks for pointing out the missing "who."

July 7th 2012

And only 8 songs? Seems like an extended EP more than a full album.

July 7th 2012

The album is about 27 minutes long. If it was worth listening to I would be pissed about that, but since it's so awful the length is a bit of a blessing.

wacknizzle
July 7th 2012

This band was never anything special but seriously what the fuck happened, this is sooo bad.

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

Spec

The vocals are terrible.

Yeah, thank God.

July 7th 2012

It took them two years to write 27 minutes of shitty material? not a good sign.