Opeth
Still Life

by i want to mort. USER (7 Reviews)
July 5th, 2012 | 32 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the masterpieces of Opeth, rising to be one of their classics with its smoothness and keeping the top level throughout the album.

Opeth is one of the bands who have actually made their own genre and you really can’t sort them to any genre. I would describe them as a progressive, melodic death metal band. Opeth mixes death metal very well to progressive rock and there’s no doubt they wouldn't be one of the pioneers of progressive metal. And musically, Still Life is Opeth at their best. Still Life is Opeth’s second concept album, the first being My Arms, Your Hearse. As a story, I like Still Life more. It stays interesting from beginning to end and the songs are joined together in a superb way. Åkerfeldt also has a great narrative style in his lyrics.

The album starts with a song that really summarizes the whole album. “The Moor” begins with a mystical acoustic sound which leads to the great acoustic riff. After that, the song becomes fast and aggressive metal, joined by Åkerfeldt’s nice growling vocals. An 11-minute epic contains both acoustic and heavy parts with both clean and growling vocals, staying progressive as well. “The Moor” shows exactly what the whole Opeth is about. What a great start to a great album. Lyrically, “The Moor” tells that the protagonist of the story has been banished from his home village and now he is coming back to take his love, Melinda, with him.

The second song, “Godhead’s Lament”, continues musically as pretty much the same. The climax part here is Åkerfeldt singing “Searching my way to perplexion…” The third track is the only completely acoustic song in the album. “Benighted” is a great ballad with a very good guitar solo. In this part of the story, the protagonist is tempting Melinda to come with him. The fourth track of Still Life, “Moonlapse Vertigo”, is one of the most progressive songs of the album. Lyrics seem to be about the protagonist hiding Melinda. “Face of Melinda” is the only song of the album with no growling vocals, along with “Benighted”. It is also one of the best singular songs of Still Life, being of the lighter tracks here. Lyrically the song tells how Melinda is actually married to another man, though she loves the protagonist. The sixth track, “Serenity Painted Death” may be the most aggressive song of Still Life. It has a crushing metal riff and impressive growling vocals by Åkerfeldt. “Serenity Painted Death” is the turning point of the story while Melinda gets caught and killed by the villagers. In the last part of the story, “White Cluster”, the protagonist himself gets hanged and a sad story gets a sad ending. Musically, “White Cluster” continues at the same line with the whole album and also has a wonderful guitar solo.

In total, Still Life is a very balanced concept album. It has a clear theme, both musically and lyrically, and the quality stays excellent from beginning to the very end. Compared to the other Opeth albums, this is one of my favorites by far. Opeth made a commercial success with the 2001 record Blackwater Park, but I prefer Still Life compared to that. Still Life stays clear and balanced throughout the album and has no weak parts, though the whole Opeth's discography seems to have no weak parts at all! This has made it one of my choices of albums that fulfill the criteria for a “classic”. If I had to recommend especially one track here, it would be the opener, “The Moor”. Otherwise the track list stays quite steadily at top level. Still Life is an album that I recommend to every prog listener and metalhead.

Jimmy Eat World FuturesYouth Novel Turned Around Abruptly Beside a Mirror...
Hammock KenoticDeepset The Lights We Shed Shall Burn Your Eyes
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperArcade Fire Neon Bible

72068 Comments

!

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

DarthMann
July 5th 2012

tell me why i need another pet rock!

Digging: Laked God and Yak - Butt Pirate Bible Force

MichaelSnoxall
July 5th 2012

You know that scene in Metalocalypse where Murderface gets in an accident and all the band members give him bass guitars as get well gifts? That's how I feel about this review.

"Oh look...it's another bass"

omnipanzer
July 5th 2012

Maaaaaaaan... fuck this I'm gonna go listen to NOLA.

Apollo
July 5th 2012

Omni who's the hottie in your pic?

also fuck this review, have a neg bitch

BodomThrashMachine
July 5th 2012

Album's amazing, review not so much.

DarthMann
July 5th 2012

the chick in omnis pic sucks apollo what are you thinking!

July 5th 2012

Yeah, I now realize that this review really sucks... My first review and English is not even my native language so no big surprise. Maybe I just let the others do the reviews ^^

Digging: Vi Som Alskade Varandra Sa Mycket - Den sorgligaste musiken i varlden

MO
July 5th 2012

this review was really needed

Dimor

Rating is correct

July 5th 2012

Gosh, can these reviews be deleted somewhere? :D My review is just shit, though the rating is correct imo

72068 Comments

lol

DoctorNurse
July 5th 2012

If you want to post reviews, then do so.

GhettoHmbrglr
July 5th 2012

>can't really sort them to a genre
>progressive melodic death metal

hmmm

baldymort

July 5th 2012

well, writing reviews isn't really my thing, just wanted to see how it goes and how do other people like my writing

omnipanzer
July 5th 2012

"Don't see why people have to be a cunt about this guy posting a review about an album he loves..."

Shut your pie hole.

Da11thMytrillSphere
July 5th 2012

You can improve in your writing style kid. There's no problem with that, also the rating is the proper.

BirthRite
July 5th 2012

dude like bro, like dude like man, you're getting negged man, surfs up dude!

johnnydeking29
July 5th 2012

Album rules, review does not
" “Face of Melinda” is the only song of the album with no growling vocals, along with “Benighted”" made my Worst-Review-Moments ever list

Digging: Warren of Ohms - The Wolf and The Fox