Blonde Redhead
Fake Can Be Just As Good

by atrocityexhibition08 USER (1 Reviews)
July 5th, 2012 | 3 replies | 1,746 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A modern no-wave classic -- catchy but weird goodness...

This album is probably my all-time favorite by this group - it would also be their first release for Touch And Go, which is no slouch when it comes to great acts such as Girls Against Boys, Killdozer and The Jesus Lizard.

For those who haven't heard Blonde Redhead's early material, this album is a great start. It has a lot of the ferocity and dischord of their first two albums, but each song has these amazingly catchy grooves that will no doubt get stuck in your head.
Their early sound could be described as noise-rock/no-wave, but it is really hard to pin down an actual genre. The best thing I could do is mention early Sonic Youth, Fugazi and maybe post-punk groups such as The Pop Group and Public Image Limited.

This is my first review, so I won't bore anyone with a track-by-track, I will say however, that each track is solid. My favorite in particular is "Symphony of Treble". Kazu Makino's vocals have this bizarre, cheshire cat-like sound to them while the guitar sounds like a chugging machine of random harmonic notes. The bass-line for this track seems to have a really maniacal groove that is very addictive. I also really dug how the song concludes with the intro to the first track "Kazuality".

I really loved this album, my only complaint is that there should have been more songs, I actually felt like it could've used 3 or 4 to round it out nicely - otherwise, this album is one to be reckoned with.

This album deserved to be reviewed and I will probably edit the hell out of this because I'm kind of on a tight schedule right now - hope this review will be incentive to check out this gem of an album.

camaraderie
July 5th 2012

Public Image Ltd and Pop Group? Hell yeah.

I'm gonna pos but I can't really say the review is all that great, like at all.

atrocityexhibition08
July 5th 2012

thanks - id appreciate any criticisms - or what to add to it - like i said im pretty new at this - cheers!

August 21st 2013