The Elijah
I Loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created

Post-rock, a unique genre, but one that has become progressively predictable throughout the years. A typical post-rock song would start of softly, quiet or with ambient sounds and slowly it would start to accelerate, a long crescendo would start and eventually it would explode into the moment the song had been building up to, only to end softly. While this tried-and-true formula might still have been used to create some brilliant songs and albums, one cannot deny the genre is starting to feel a bit predictable.

Meet The Elijah, a band that decided to do Post-rock just a little bit different.

They crafted orchestral, dynamic, and beautiful post-rock that happens to utilize its members’ vocal chords, a lot, a lot more than the average bands of the same genre. Where most post-rock bands only uses vocals sporadically The Elijah uses them as their main selling point and uses them like they’re part of the instrumentation, two instruments that battle over each other. On the one hand a beautiful soothing croon and on the other a harsh, slightly forced but emotional scream.

Musically this band draws a lot of comparisons with another British post-rock influenced band, more specifically the band Devil Sold His Soul. Much like them The Elijah isn’t planning on dazzling you with technicality, they rather prefer to softly drown you in their music. Which is both beautiful and brutish, sometimes even at the same time. The album was recorded in an abandoned country mansion, leading to a –surprisingly clean- resonant but bleak production. One that gives this album a lot of charm and beauty, as well as creating a haunting atmosphere that will haunt trough your head for the entire album. All of this is glued together with ambient or classical-influenced interludes, which makes it sound like this entire album flows from one track to the next causing the album to feel like one massive journey.

Sadly there is also a dark side that covers this journey, a problem that claws itself deep into the album and –for some- might even drag it down. The problem I’m talking about is the repetitive nature of the album. Duo to the production every sing sounds rather similar, the instrumentation found in every song is also not that diverse as it should be. Both of these problems can make the 45 minute playtime of the album feel longer then it really is, which is said because the stand alone songs are all of great quality.

Another thing that has been gathering a lot of critique are the harsh vocals, while personally I wasn’t bothered by them at all, many complain that they would have been much better suited for emo bands like Gantz, or Post-rock emo bands like Fall of Efrafa and The Blue letter instead of a pretty post-rock band like The Elijah. Because of the similarities in sound with Devil Sold His Soul I’d rather refer to Dan Tomley’s screams as an answer for Dan Gibbs high screeching. For those who couldn’t get past the vocals in ‘Blessed & Cursed’ The Elijah offers a great alternative in ‘I Loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created’. And if you are bugged by both the vocal performances there’s still the instrumental ‘In regret’, a song which will surely appeal to everyone who appreciates beauty in music.

The Elijah has delivered a beautiful debut album, one that showcases originality and a great production, even with its flaws clawing at its deserved spotlight. If They can work on keeping every song fresh on their next album I can see them being named in the same breath with bands like *Shels or The Pax Cecilia. The Elijah certainly is a band to keep an eye out for, but for now an ear will do.4/5

Recommended songs:
  • In Regret
  • I Destroyed

I Am Heresy Thy WillThe Great Old Ones Tekeli-Li
NAMI The Eternal Light of the Unconscious MindSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
Csejthe ReminiscenceObsidian Kingdom Mantiis

July 4th 2012

Couldn't get out of my words that well, not my best. But I just want to get this band out in the spotlight.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

qdgyu
July 4th 2012

I think you did a pretty good job with the review. I love their Ep A Son: A Disease, as well as I Destroyed and I Hated. Can't wait till I can hear the whole album, these guys are great.

fish.

22034 Comments

meant to check this out

will look for it

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

KSK1
July 4th 2012

I dug their ep so definitely gonna check this out. Didn't realize it was out already.

Xenophanes

Sweet Elijah's my name

wacknizzle
July 4th 2012

Good review, I've listened to I Loved and I Hated so far and they both were great.

Digging: Redwood Hill - Collider

TBliss2
July 4th 2012

Really like these guys, need to check this out.

sixdegrees

this sounds interesting.

sspedding
July 4th 2012

these guys interested me on the EP but the screamed vocals were beyond shit. I'll check this out anyway.

Great review btw. pos

Digging: Devil Sold His Soul - Belong ? Betray

Apollo
July 5th 2012

I like this, but agreed with spedding, the screaming is terrible

July 5th 2012

Sounds good and good review too bro, pos. I didn't see any song links posted in this thread for this
so I'll leave this here:

^track one "In Misery"

fish.

22034 Comments

I heard a song by these guys a while back and thought it sounded good right up until the screaming started

qdgyu
July 5th 2012

Listened to the whole album a few times now, loving it. Favorite songs have to be I Destroyed, I loved, and In Regret. The Harsh vocals on I Hated rub me the wrong way though, even though i still like the song.

July 6th 2012

I really don't understand all the hate for the vocals, it's pretty standard fare for emo bands like Circle Takes The Square, City Of Caterpillar, etc.. and suddenly in another genre everyone bitches about them.

as for songs, here's the top track for the album imo;
I Destroyed = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT_4IMqAn1s

sspedding
July 6th 2012

i've heard that song before, it is very good. Only the screaming is so bad it makes it impossible to listen to.

DreamAgain
July 6th 2012

What are some other good bands like them and devil sold his soul? any recommendations?

July 7th 2012

*Shels is the most similar I think, only they feature far less screaming.

Rinoa is similar too, to some extent. They are far more hardcore orientated than Post-rock however.

bakkermaarten007
July 7th 2012

The despair is almost tangible, this band rules. The 'hardcore' tag is an incorrect one though. It's
actually an experimental style of post-hardcore.

Manqaness24
July 9th 2012

I heard one post from them not too long ago and i do plan on checking this out. I enjoyed the review btw.

Cesar
July 12th 2012

Listening to the album now. Enjoying it so far.

The music mixed with the clean vocals is amazing. If the rest of the album is as good as the few songs I've heard it'll be at least a 4.