Nirvana
Nevermind

2.0
poor

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
January 29th, 2006 | 136 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

In 1991, the whole music industry had at the time, been in a slump, hair metal was quickly dying out. It seemed as if not one band was really trying to write anything spectacular to save the entire scene. Enter Nirvana, a grunge rock band from Aberdeen, Washington, who exploded into the mainstream with the redhot album, Nevermind. Every magazine that wrote music reviews praised this highly, but despite high praise from so many abundant sources, many fail to really bisect the musical quality of Nevermind, instead they base their opinion on either the historic relevance of the album, or that it was something entirely new. Without a doubt, it did pull the music industry out of a major crisis, but the fact that many songs on here are filler is something constantly overlooked by the general public, even more so by the press. The entire portion of guitar riffs on the album is chunky, simple, and overly repetitive. At some points a person could feel as if they have been listening to rehashes of two or three good songs for the last forty-two minutes.

Not to say there isnít anything that sticks out. The song Breed, is obviously a great song upon first listen. When fast guitar riffing, and a fast, building snare beat open the song, followed by a fun bass groove that lasts the whole time, a person can tell this will be a standout for the album, even though itís only the fourth track into the album. It is a shame Kurtís voice is the most annoying on this song for the whole album. The sad fact is, with Kurtís nasal voice providing irritating vocals that are accompanied by simple, chunky guitar riffs, this album canít be enjoyable. He fails to ever really differentiate his voice from song to song. There are only a couple standouts for him; the grainy texture of his voice is bothersome on almost every single song. Drain You is a fairly straightforward song like the rest of the album, but the infectious chorus will earn it repeated listens by the listener. Then of course Smells Like Teen Spirit has enjoyable vocals The lyrics arenít the best, but itís one liners such as ďWith the lights out, itís less dangerous", and ďI found it hard, it's hard to find. Oh well, whatever, nevermind" that make the song memorable. In fact, thatís actually how it is for the whole album, the lyrics arenít great, but the numerous one liners are great.

ďAnd I swear I donít have a gun. No I donít have a gun."-Come As You Are
ďWe can have some more; nature is a whore. Bruises on the fruit; tender age in bloom."-In Bloom
ďNever met a wise man, if so it's a woman."-Territorial Pissings
ďIt is now my duty to completely drain you."-Drain You
ď I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you."-Lithium

Krist Novoselic is a fairly decent bassist. His lines arenít complicated, but they work in well with the guitar, and drums. Listen to In Bloom, and you will hear some nice groovy lines laid out. Itís an infamous song that features a great performance from Kurt both on his guitar, and his voice. The simple riffing of that song is a hook in itself, something that doesnít come easily on the record. Drummer Dave Grohl, more or less know known as front man in Foo Fighters, along with his relations to Queens of the Stone Age, and Probot, shows he knows how to handle himself behind the kit with fairly nice fills here, and there, along with simple drum beats on many songs that help to back up the bass, and guitar too. Thatís the problem though; his performance doesnít really show any true talent. They fail to truly impress.

Nevermind isnít what it is said to be. For the most part, the music is uninspired, simple, and rather boring. Itís a love-hate album; some people will dig it up, but just as many people wonít. Some songs will hold your attention, but it gets so repetitive, that itís not very useful for repeated listens. Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Come As You Are, and are all good songs, but nothing besides Breed really succeeds in bettering those four. Itís a poor album, with mostly average, or poor songs, with a few good ones.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You

pulseczar
January 29th 2006

Way to steal my idea of reviewing this album and giving this a 2.5.

Zebra
January 29th 2006

Decent review. I thought it was well written but Cobains vocals aren't as bad as you said they were.
This is not a good album. Like you said nothing really stands out and the whole album is simple riffing. 'In Utero' is Nirvanas best moment.

tom79
January 29th 2006

another Nevermind review, good review anyway

Digging: Business Models - Room

Iai

Nice review.

I still stand by this as one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

Storm In A Teacup

Thanks, all.

I really hate the album, but I didn't let my opinion get in the way of the actual review.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to add this,

Bush>NirvanaThis Message Edited On 01.29.06

El_Goodo
January 29th 2006

If this album wasn't loved by all the critics, and the MTV Generation, everyone would be talking about how great of an album it is.

And what do you mean most of the album is filler? Maybe three songs are filler (Lounge Act, On A Plain, and Territorial Pissings).

And without Nirvana, there would be no Bush!

Diabulus in musica
January 29th 2006

nice review....altough i hate nirvana, i like the song come as you are

Thor
January 29th 2006

Good review, but the last thing sputnik needs is another Nevermind review.

stephankirstein

kripes=pwned

but im by no means a fan of nirvana

black guy
January 29th 2006

i don't care about how much hype the album gets and how you thinks it's unjust, talk more about the actual songs.

Morvit
January 29th 2006

this album is way too overhyped

FunkyMunky

wow you guys dont like nirvana lol

Zappa

I like this.

Jawaharal

wow you guys dont like nirvana lol

dude I know lol

I can dig this album sometimes. Smells Like.... is good for its nostalgic value and brings me back to those good ol 90's.

Diabulus in musica
January 29th 2006

that has to be the most overrated and the most played song in the history of music

Priestmetal
January 29th 2006

I personally think Nirvana is pretty bad. But this is still better than In Utero and I'll assume this is their best album.

Pretty good review. You get my vote.

Iai
January 29th 2006

I think In Utero's awesome, actually. It's not Nirvana I hate; just this album.

ocelot-05

Incesticide>Nevermind>In Utero

Nice review Kripes.

Rudd13
January 29th 2006

This was pretty good writing. I'm not a fan of the album but In Bloom sure is a great song.

Scott Herren
January 29th 2006

This is a great album. It is a shame it is overrated so much that people need to claim it as the worst album they have ever heard and give it 0.5/5 just to get a point across.