Hopesfall
Magnetic North

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
June 29th, 2012 | 36 replies | 3,557 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Maybe it's just lust, but...

Hopesfall were a band that, seemingly against all odds, managed to produce some of my favourite albums of the past decade. That’s not an overstatement, maybe I’m just easily pleased, but alongside The Satellite Years, Magnetic North is definitely one of my most enjoyed records released in recent years. Why I say it was seemingly against all odds is because, if you aren’t already familiar with the band’s history, they had constant line-up changes and the band kept having to recruit new members constantly, completely destroying the initial line-up by the end of it, but still retaining a uniqueness and high quality with each of their albums. And here we are left with Magnetic North, the band’s magnum opus, if you’ll forgive me awarding this with such a title over The Satellite Years.

Blending the ferocity and atmosphere demonstrated on The Satellite Years, along with the Pop Punk/Alt. Rock and catchy hooks developed on A Types, Hopesfall have finally found where they wanted to be with this record. They refined their sound and produced a record with the best of both worlds, the highlight being an absolutely stunning vocal performance by lead singer Jay Forrest. He mainly utilises his clean vocals, but he mixes it up with some incredible shrieks and displays the true raw power he is capable of. Coupled with great instrumental performances by the band, this makes for a potent mix.

Dominated by spacey guitars and some fantastic drum work, each song falls into its own niche; each track brings something new to the table, whilst all of them remain true to the overall sound of the record. All the songs are utterly memorable, and leave you wanting more. I can’t name a track where Forrest doesn’t whip out a tasty vocal hook that makes me replay more than once. The band even dips into Post-Rock at a couple of points, most evident on the closer Paisley. Individual songs here feel like a unique experience, I find myself tapping along to the remarkably suitable drumbeats and trying to avoid bursting out and attempting to mimic Forrest’s vocals whilst I’m in public.

I’ve heard nitpicks about this album, most commonly the lyrics. And whilst I can agree to a certain extent, I don’t fully get what’s all that deplorable about them. I don’t think lyrical quality detracts from this album in any way, and I don’t see anything inherently bad about them. Maybe a little cheesy at points, but they work all the same. In fact, my only real negative thing to say about this album (and I use that term very lightly) is about the last two tracks. Individually, they’re great tracks, though they seem a little lacklustre compared to complete aural barrage that were the first eleven tracks. Head General Hospital is a killer track to begin with, but I feel it drags on a little more than it should. And as I said before, Paisley closes the album off nicely with a very Post-Rock-esque tune, building on the same riff used through the song, but not before Jay belts out his lungs one more time a couple of minutes before the end.

Going in, I never expected to love this album so much. But after the first listen, I came back. And again. And again. And again. I haven’t gone a day without listening to this album in the last two months. I listen to it when I sleep, I listen to it when I eat, I listen to it when I’m out, I listen to it when I’m in. Maybe it’s just lust, but I’m an addict. I don’t know what that means to any of you, but I’ll be darned if I didn’t enjoy the hell out of this album. And that’s all it comes down to in the end, no matter where your opinion lies in anything; did you enjoy it?

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
Ian (3.5)

Understanding In a Crash (4)
Some band's just never cease to impress......

Nick Greer EMERITUS (3.5)
Hopesfall evolves again, led by strong songwriting and a godly vocal performance, but unfortunately ...

June 29th 2012

Been rep'n this album hard these last couple 'months.

Colliiiin
June 29th 2012

I definitely understand your love for this album and really felt you on this line "trying to avoid bursting out and attempting to mimic Forrest’s vocals whilst I’m in public.", I use to jam the shit out of this when it came it out and knew most of the lyrics. The only difference is I dont see this as a 5, really close to a 4.5 though.

Digging: Mitochondrion - Archaeaeon

June 29th 2012

Hell yeah dude fucking tell these bitches what they need to know

I miss the feelings they gave me when they were together.

This review means it's time for me to go HAM on Hopesfall

in tribute motha fuckas!!!!

Scoot
June 29th 2012

if this band made a classic it was the satellite years

June 29th 2012

yeah and it is a classic. ^.^

botb
June 29th 2012

def not a 5 but this band never did anything bad ever.

even covered smashing pumpkins

June 29th 2012

@Baseline: Yes, I'll marry you.

@everyone else: May not be a 5, but I enjoy it like it's a 5.

hmm alright it's a 5 in that case

fromtheinside
June 29th 2012

this album is pretty amazing.

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Aye, it certainly is.

June 30th 2012

It's so amazing I think we're going to have to talk about this band everyday to make sure people come on and read the review and proceed to check them out.

June 30th 2012

That sounds like a good idea, Storm. So, how about that Hopesfall band? They're pretty swell.

July 1st 2012

Three words to decribe Hopesfall:

Ambientmelodicorgasm

Or for short, "coregasm"

July 1st 2012

I like to call them SexStep.

SeveralAlpacas
July 10th 2012

Agree with the first sentance of the last paragraph fully.

September 28th 2012

Best album ever agreed.

Pndi
October 5th 2012

yeah i know no wings/the frailty of words/kfefzf whatever rule but this is their best stuff with The Satellite Years.

October 6th 2012

Ambient-Sex-Step-Core

Ethanodd
November 3rd 2012

Me and my friend /always/ mimic Forrest's unique vocal tendencies. Ever since his first 'Goma' in A-Types, we always pick out his odd little syllables. Fantastic album and a fantastic vocal performance, undeniably.