The Devil Wears Prada
Dead & Alive

by TylerOnFire USER (3 Reviews)
June 28th, 2012 | 29 replies | 8,600 views

Review Summary: The Devil Wears Prada chose a horrible concert to film their live DVD.

The Devil Wears Prada are a metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio who are very love/hate. Their debut album had some gutteral screams which were abandonded with their second album, Plagues. They stayed with the sound of Plagues up until their Zombie EP which showcased a much heavier side to the band and the result had The Devil Wears Prada finaly at the top of their game. This continued with the excellent album that was Dead Throne and continued to gain new fans while keeping their old fans happy.

With that being said, TDWP decided to make a live DVD as a thank you to the fans who haved stayed loyal to the band since the beginning, as well as a thank you to the new fans who have supported them over the last couple years. However, they could not have chosen a worse time on tour to film a live DVD. The DVD takes place in Worcester, Mass which was right at the end of the tour. And it shows with the performance of lead vocalist Mike Hranica. There are mixed opinions on his style of screaming, which is, in my opinion, bearable. That is not the case on the DVD. His voice sounds very weak, and half the time he has to talk some of the words in order to not lose his voice completely. It sounds like he has a bad case of laryngitis. I had the opportunity to see TDWP on the Dead Throne Tour in Chicago which was the second stop on the tour. His voice sounded amazing at that show, and it shows that long tours can put a strain of a vocalists voice. Clean vocalist/guitarist Jeremy DePoyster sounds better than I thought he was going to. He was not able to hit some of the notes that he hit on the albums, but his overall performance was enjoyable. Vocals - 2

The instrumentation sounds excellent. Chris Rubey plays his leads flawlessly and effortlessly. The rhythms of DePoyster are good as well. The breakdowns sound excellent as Rubey and DePoyster play them to perfection. Drummer Daniel Williams shows that he has some serious skills behind the kit as he kicks and hits ferociously throughout the entire show. As usual, Andy Tick's base is barely noticeable; however, it does make some surprise appearances here and there. Keyboardist James Baney, who is no longer in the band, does his job well, puting his moments of glory to good use. Intrumentation - 4.5

The Devil Wears Prada chose a horrible concert to film their live DVD. While the instrumentation is almost flawless, the vocals of Hranica are just too unbareable to listen to. If they had filmed this earlier in the tour, when Hranica sounded good, this was sure to have been rated a 4.5

good

nononsense

Agree completely

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

ChuckyTruant
June 28th 2012

you reviewed the wrong one Tyler. this is not an album. look on TDWP's bandpage. you're gonna have to move this review to that entry

Digging: Palm Reader - Bad Weather

oh shit. thanks man

ChuckyTruant

np

June 28th 2012

It wont let me switch it to the right one.

June 28th 2012

okay. What did you think of the review though?

June 28th 2012

Yeah the passion is there. You can tell that he tried his hardest on the DVD, it just doesnt sound good unfortunately

Spec

Merge this badboy.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

I talked to the mods.

TrstN01
June 28th 2012

"If they had filmed this earlier in the tour, when Hranica sounded good, this was sure to have been rated a 4.5"

Sums this album up perfectly.

ZilbelPing
June 28th 2012

"Their debut album had some deathcore elements"

Fucking lol'd hard when I read this.

TheSpirit
June 28th 2012

I wouldn't divide the review into sections like you did, it's better to just do an overall review. The content isn't so great either, I would look into expanding some of your points. Also definitely run this through a spellcheck. I won't neg though since it's only your 3rd review, isn't absolutely awful and you have potential.

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

thanks man

ConcubinaryCode

2064 Comments

Saw them last night. They had great energy but the vocals were off.

slaythedragon
June 29th 2012

He has a great voice but this should have been recorded earlier in the tour when he was at the top of his game. It's simply not a fair representation of his skill or sound to use a recording at the end of a *huge* tour.

June 29th 2012

Exactly the point of my review

SadAndHolyGlow
July 5th 2012

This is a great review. I agree totally with almost everything mentioned. It was cool how you mentioned their previous studio albums. You accurately described the trends they presented musically and how they had abandoned some elements from album to album. Great job. You really took everything into account here.

Digging: Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up 'til It Was Light

Thanks man, I appreciate it

Fluttertrank
July 5th 2012

yeah this band is pretty trendy lol. at first ther were generic risecore. then changed to
scenecore. lol the lyrics of stillfly were horrible. went back to risecore sound. and now regular
metalcore.

captainchunk
July 12th 2012

For some reason, metalcore bands vocals on live DVDs/CDs never sound that good. For instance, Jake Luhr's does not sound good at all on ABR's Home DVD/CD. But I was at that actual show, and he sounded great. Maybe it's just how these things are recorded.